1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

favorite "style" of anime artwork..

Discussion in 'General' started by BK__, May 8, 2002.

1. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

well, there are lots of styles, especially in this day & age compared to way back, something like fist of the north star was totally different to some thing like dragonball, or akira toriamah (sp?) art in general..

i'd have to say i really like super dangaioh's art style, mainly because i like mecha so much. but other reasons are for it's traditional old-style comic look, the outline of the characters are quite bold, and the colors and dark areas are contrasted with thin black lines... it reminds me of phantasy star 4's cut-scene art work.

what i don't really like so much is new cartoon styles like tenchi muyo with it's two-tone shades and triangular faces, it looks too basic for me..., also massive animation reduction.

meh, what can i say... i like the nostridama(sp?) of things.
    anyway, it's ur turn now..

2. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

For comparison, my favourite anime chara designer/illustrator still is Inomata Mutsumi sensei. IMO, her style is more delicate and has more variety than her friend Takada Akemi's.

3. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Most of the styles you see in anime usually originates from either
    a. the manga it came from or
    b. whoever the artist was that did the character design.
    So, a compressed list of manga/character designers I rather like:
    (And in my book, manga >>>>>> anime.)

Kazushi Hagiwara - artist of dark fantasy manga BASTARD!! (Just started to be translated recently, I highly suggest picking it up). He's actually done a really cool VF illustration of Jacky and Sarah for a book he put out.
    Joji Manabe - I like his original chara designs and overall fluidity of his drawing.
    Nobeteru Yuuki - one of the best fantasy artists out there, though I didn't care for the Escaflowne designs much. Oh well.
    Kaori Yuki - more "girly" artwork style, hehe (^_^)

Japanese artists I like who don't really do so much "anime"-type stuff:
    Hirohiko Araki - his figure drawings are awesome, and the fashion design sense is really whacked. I like.
    Hiroaki Samura - author of Blade of the Immortal, a really cool manga I highly recommend. The sketchy style is unique and quite nice.
    Yoshitaka Amano - I need say no more.

There are specific artists I rather dislike, too, but I'll avoid getting into that.

4. blackshadow

blackshadow Well-Known Member

i dunno who it is but i liked the artwork in Ninja Scroll and i like gundam style anime mostly manga shit

5. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of Yuuki Nobuteru, but I'm nevertheless impressed by his flexibility, ie, his ability to adapt other chara designers or illustrators' different styles into anime chara designs.

6. Euclid

Euclid Active Member

Mokona Apapa of clamp. I hold her higher than any other maga artist. Just look at the clover manga for the most beautiful artwork ever made. Others in this ame style, "X" movie and manga are both great to look at, shamanic princess, and card capator sakura, if you can get past the cuteness.

euclid