1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite characters

Discussion in 'General' started by Black Tiger Of Death, Nov 8, 2018.

1. I'm not sure if there's already a thread like this but I was wondering which fighters in Virtua Fighter do you like?

I like Jacky Bryant but Akira Yuki is my most favourite fighter.

sketch-1541697775135.png

beanboy and GustavoHeisenberg like this.
  2. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

I main Akira too because he's both difficult and virtua fighter's Ryu

3. GustavoHeisenberg

And Jean Kujo is my second favourite being sort of virtua fighter's Ken but of course, he's not a shoto-clone nor cheap ripoff, nor virtually anything resembling Ken beside his red gi

4. GustavoHeisenberg

this topic is better suited for general than VF5

5. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

My favs::)

Sarah
    Vanessa
    Akira
    Eileen
    Jean Kujo

DigitalMartialArts likes this.
  6. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Ken definitely.
    But to me, he's more like V.Ken, from Ultra Street Fighter 2.:p

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  7. GustavoHeisenberg

lol especially the brainwashing points let alone the fact that both are more violent

beanboy likes this.
  8. Thesch28

Thesch28 Well-Known Member

Lau Chan, Shun Di, and Jeffry McWild.

beanboy likes this.
  9. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I really love every character in VF. I actually think they all have great personality and designs! I'm disappointed that most people think VF is bland, but I guess there's little/nothing in the game proper to really show off the cool characters.

My favourites gameplay wise though are;
    Wolf: best rounded grappler in the game. Great big damage throws and very very useful catch throw utilities. I like that rewards patience and reads really well, and his movelist is simply the best Pro Wrestling move list in any fighting game. The amount of moves he has and the quality of animations is second to none.
    Fits my gameplay style perfectly.

Jeffry: Similar to wolf, but more emphasis on strikes than throws IMO. I love the satisfaction of making a correct read and getting a bit CH for huge damage rewards.

Vanessa: Love the difference in gameplay between two stances, and the viability of both to be your 'main' focus.

In terms of aesthetics, Vanessa is definitely one of my favourites, a badass female character done really well. Love the military motif especially.
    Lau and his animations just exude smugness and mastery, he's fantastic as well IMO.

10. Talchild

Talchild Member

PSN:
    KidKingdom
    I'm actually with you on this. There's an elegance in their simplicity. Its archetypal. And there's a heavy lack of that try-hard "this is COOL" in their designs. At least in the early characters. Some, like Jean and Gou, do have that Tekken-ish "all the kids are gonna think this guys so badass" edge to them, but they pull it off well, while on the other hand Eileen (though I like her gameplay), El Blaze and Brad Burns are kind of just unremarkable design wise.

11. MadeManG74

Yep, agreed, they are nice and subtle without being overdesigned or beating you on the head. And their personality speaks through their animations and styles, not necessarily a win quote or story mode.

Black Tiger Of Death likes this.
  12. Talchild

Talchild Member

PSN:
    KidKingdom
    Overdesigning is a big problem with way too many new games. Its like, with higher definition and fidelity, creators are driven to try to make use of it by jam pacing as many insignificant details on a characters design as possible, but it just adds clutter and often detracts from them having strong silhouettes, shape language and colors.

13. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

To keep a stable interest, I'll have to like all of them, so I leave up to fate with choosing random select. It brings out the best in my performance and have my opponents guessing on what to expect. However, it actually benefits the opponents by having them to adjust to random character matchups. This makes me want to rebuy a PS3, but the online was terrible.

14. MadeManG74

Eh? Online VF is great. Are you sure you weren't playing people on wifi from the other side of the world?

15. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

I didn't have much options at the time, so I played people on the other side of the world, because domestic players that I normally played when the game was new either quit on my list or were scarce. So, I'm going to partly take it back and say that it was too inactive for me.

I always used a wired connection, but it didn't make much of a difference. There were still alot of very laggy matches locally going on compared to XBL when I played both versions, to the point I felt I needed to quit.

If there's an arcade stick that is compatible with the PS3, PC, and with the Nintendo Switch, then I'll still consider it, but if Sega releases more of their Sega Ages games that happens to have a VF game(s) in there, then I'll stick with that.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018