1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fighting Games and VF

Discussion in 'General' started by matt, Feb 12, 2001.

1. matt

matt New Member

I will probably get biased answers but we'll see.. What is the best fighting games? I want a fighting game that is realistic, something that could be compared to modern martial arts (No fireballs and freezing crap). The only games I can think of that fit that would be Tekken and Virtua Fighter but I haven't played Tekken since version 2 and that was a year or so ago.

Also, I watched one of the movies from the Virtua Fighter.com site and how did they make that? Is there a new PC version of the game? I just got Virtua Fighter PC from a friend, it didn't look like that.

Lastly, are the moves from older version of Virtua Fighter compatible with newer versions? I didn't even know VF had versions - I thought it was just Virtua Fighter 3d.

Anyways, please help me out! Matt.

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Realistic Fighting Game: hmmm... UFC comes to mind. It's more "realistic" than VF and Tekken, that's for sure.

The movies were made using a computer capture card and were originally recorded from either Virtua Fighter 3tb for the Sega Dreamcast or any of the Virtua Fighter 3 arcades (recorded from a camcorder most likely).

The latest version of the game for PC is Virtua Fighter 2. As there were many differences between Virtua Fighter 2 and 1, there are also many differences between Virtua Fighter 3 and 2. Cosmetic, gameplay, all sorts of things.

In a way, the moves from Virtua Fighter 2 are compatable, but there are so many differences that many applications have changed. Many concepts from Virtua Fighter 2 are carried over into Virtua Fighter 3. But there are also many new aspects to Virtua Fighter 3. Quite a few moves are now performed differently. If you want to play Virtua Fighter 3, your best bet is to play it on a Dreamcast. If you want to know more about the game, there are some documents here (in the "War" page) and many faqs at http://www.gamefaqs.com

Hope that helps.

Also, keep this in mind. The best place to find information is on a faq or a devoted webpage. Most people on the forum assume it as a prerequisite to posting (just a warning so you don't get under attack for asking some things). Faqs are written to help people looking for information on a topic find it. The faqs for VF varies as guides and lists. A general faq should give you a lot of information and they were written with a passion to help inspire you and others as potential players to learn more about the game in a convenient way, given that you have the interest to do so. These faqs are typically well written and should give you the answers you need on many things specific to the game.

Here are some useful links:

www.gamefaqs.com
    world.std.com/~opus/vf
    www.krisamico.com/vf3
    www.virtuafighter.com (surprise, surprise, I recommend you go to the "War" section)
    www.gamefaqs.com

3. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

Anybody ever play Best of the best championship karate on megadrive?,that seemed very realistic and had an interesting controller setup,the animation was surprisingly well done for such an old game as well.

4. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

Re: Best of the Best

Eek. yeah that game did seem like real martial arts action to me. while we're on the subject-remember that shit horrible game, expect no mercy? It was laughable.

P.S Comic relief "(announcer)NO MERRRCYYYY!!!!!..... (loser) aauuuiiiaaaaiiiaahh!!!

Andrew

5. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

remember pitfighter?
    HIIIIIIIIIYAAAAAAAAH!

<font color=red>SummErs' 'Ride the Lighting Legacy'

6. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Yeah that game blew. I think the most realistic martial arts game is either K-1, UFC(wish they had a PRIDE game) or Karate Champ

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

7. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Bushido Blade 1/2 for the Playstation is also somewhat realistic. Let me know if you enjoy them.

ice-9

8. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Best of the Best was fun, but didn't really have a good defense system. I had fun moments, but that was way back in the day. It was for SNES and Genesis, but originally was on the PC-Engine/Turbo Graphx 16 under the name "Andre Panza Kick Boxing" (not sure if I got the name right).

Never played K-1 or any of those except UFC.

Pit-Fighter was a pain to control, especially on modern standards, but I remember actually being able to control it pretty damn well long, long ago and being pretty competitive in the game.

Expect No Mercy, sounds familiar, but it's probably like Time Killers (ughh!). Sal, you want a game that "sucks?" Time Killers is it! That or the Jacky Chan fighting game which was in very few arcades, trying to ripoff the Mortal Kombat 1 theme, but that game was whacked.

I love Bushido Blade 1 and 2. Much of the BB1 players hated BB2. I liked BB2 a lot, yes, it was much simpler, but you had a lot of intense fights when two players were good at predicting. Extremely intense. I will never forget the days of BB1 runs of "whoever gets 125 wins first," THAT WAS FUN! However, one year later, I play BB1 and for the first time, my mind is going at about a million times faster than what's going onscreen. Yes, usually you think things faster, but feeling like you have to wait 8 seconds before collision occurs... it was so hard to get back into the game once I was used to the intensity of BB2, which I will still justify as being a very different, but pretty fun game. Of course Shadowdean is gonna pop up here and start denouncing the game/images/icons/tongue.gif

Kengo looks scary... I mean, it looks like it's just not gonna be fun, but I gotta play it first. Deflections will make the game fun for me, but other than that, seeing a guy stabbed and slashed THROUGH about 20 times before dying is gonna get on my nerves. But I'll have to see the gameplay, I haven't touched the game, just seen movies (of bad players as you can expect of the IGN crew).

-Chanchai

9. AlexMD

AlexMD Well-Known Member

I actually kinda liked it,though only because it was co-op :)

10. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

ME, denounce a game? Bahh :)
    I am a fan of both bushido Blades...I am a HUGE fan of BB1 - I will forever hold it is the best of all of them out there just due to it's intensity...hell, I sitll play bb1...

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    off topic: kengo actually isn't bad; you just have to not expect bushido blade. my roomate and i finished the "career mode" and it's pretty fun. it seems really slow at first, but becomes pretty fast. you can customize your fighter about as much as you can in wrestling games (aside from appearance) with less moves available while fighting, but many options during setup.

it's much more arcadey, but pretty fun. the real drag is that you can only save one character to a memory card, so i haven't been able to make my own character to square off against my roomate yet (his character is now much faster than all the default characters).

and slashing the already defeated oppt. while he crumples to the ground in a spray of blood rocks!

spotlight