1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fighting games as chess

Discussion in 'General' started by Lygophilia, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Lygophilia

Lygophilia Well-Known Member

For years, I disagreed with it's analogy and over-complication of the genre. Personally, it's a failed legitimization to think it's in the same league, because chess can actually help you in everyday life. To name a few health benefits from chess, it treats people with mental illnesses, rehabilitation, and therapy. This is from someone who has schizoaffective disorder as a chess player growing up, which the game was recommended by my former teachers and therapists to never give up on it. Fighting games doesn't treat anything from self nor forward my IQ as chess did. The genre is used for escapism of my own problems, not for problem solving.

To move on, video games were never designed to be unapproachable where the "average person" can't reach higher levels, because unfortunately, that's where a certain crowd of the community thinks, which is only hardcore nonsense from them without substance. Depending on the player, it should be common knowledge that new or average level players can surpass veterans in a short amount of time, which has and will continue to happen, especially in tournaments if they really wanted to or had to be shown the way to. However, in no way I'm saying it's easy.

For differences on this subject, fighting games are generally more convenient to understand for the human mind in comparison due to the simplicity of it being in motion, high level of play even becomes more apparent as players bring out the best in the engine, so it doesn't demand an extreme level of gifted intuition/thinking as chess, as it is turn based, more-so if your ambition is to become grandmaster on that subject. So, I feel like it's comparing an apple to an orange.

Anyway, thanks for reading. What's your view on the subject?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    beanboy likes this.
  2. beanboy

beanboy Well-Known Member

Fighting games as chess? Interesting comparison.

If I were to compare, fighting games and chess....I would say,
    "I see fighting games, moreso Virtua Fighter, as chess,
    with more options, less restricted movement, and more freedom.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019