1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fighting Vipers

Discussion in 'General' started by FatalRose, Mar 19, 2009.

1. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

Anyone still play this game?

About a year ago I bought Fighters Megamix for the Saturn, and much to my surprise it was actually a fun and great game, even by today's standards in my opinion. The game play is a mix of VF2/VF3 moves and evading/and unique FV game play (hitting all three buttons and safe falling similar to SFA3).

Well after playing Fighters Megamix so much I decided to find my old burned copy of Fighting Vipers 2 and give it another go, and yes game is pretty good. It's really fast and kinda has an old school 2D jumping mechanic (which is stupid imo) but overall the game is awesome fun. Wish Sega made FM2.

Anyways the thing that stinks right now is that whenever I beat the game and beat B.M. with a super KO my screen go's black and it freezes. I am pretty sure this is because of my ten year old DC finally having it's day because I remember playing this game and finishing Arcade mode when I originally burned it and not having this problem. :-(

Think I should get a new DC?

Anyone else into this game at all? Have any fond memories and interesting stories? I honestly think this game has great potential if Sega were to bring it back updated to current gen. It's not as technical as VF and is easier to pick up and play/mash a bit. It could potentially bring more interest in Sega and VF.

[​IMG]

2. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

FV1 was extremely awesome, but FV2 ruined everytihng.......

3. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Someone who says this clearly doesn't know the ins and outs of FV2. I can understand not liking the graphic design of FV2 as much (I don't either), but the gameplay is up there with the original Soul Calibur in terms of depth, as opposed to the incredibly, incredibly broken original. (not that I don't love the original, but basically weight class = tier in that one. Also, 100%s!)

But yeah, there's a lot of first experimented with in FV2 that made it into VF4 and so on in different forms (tech rolling, for one). There's also awesome stuff like the instantaneous tech guard (basically a character-universal reversal system with more options) and the "throw clash" system (not like VF5's system - basically, if you can anticipate a throw escape, you might not even wind up at a disadvantage and still get to throw the opponent!). It's extremely well thought out, but the problem is that people expect to play FV2 like the original and never see all the other crazy and wonderful shit the game offers.

Since the roomie likes doing streaming game footage, I was thinking of doing a live-feed FV2 technique demo online one of these days, if anyone would want to watch. I think I've put more effort and love (and lord knows money) into FV2 than any other game ever.

And FatalRose, I do make a point of bringing up FV3 whenever I go to AM2 /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif If they can successfully revive SF4 after over 10 years, I don't see why FV can't do the same. My personal dream is FV3 with character designs by Hirohiko Araki or the well-known Atlus artists (Kazuma Kaneko/Shigenori Soejima), but I'm not betting anything on that happening soon!

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoKRw6q28Qg"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoKRw6q28Qg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

(I didn't make this but it's awesome)

4. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

zerochan coming in

1... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

update: damm im good! zerochan posted while i was posting this haha /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

5. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Say it again Fatal.

That Video is fucking NICE!!!! At 2:02 B.M. did a Back throw reversal? Sweet.
    At 2:12 - Thats a Wall throw lol!

I wish my DC would've never gave out because i still be playing this game. More Deeper than FV1.

6. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Nice vid, Zero-Chan, too good. Thanks! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
    Overfiend, that back-throw reversal and then the wall throw was crazy. Damn I miss playing with Tokio. Dude was sick slick.

7. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

Mahler was cool in FV, but in FV2 he was beyond awesome. All of his wall throws were great. The one in the video was the best, but I liked the one where he'd grab his opponent by the legs, slingshot them into the wall, then backflip onto the wall and powerbomb the opponent on the floor. Looked great.

8. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

If you have a newer computer you can try emulating the game with a DC emulator. However, I'd rather wait until Model 3 emulation progresses simply because the DC port has a few issues with graphics (specifically the BGs).

Of course, if Sega saw fit to re-release the game on a more current platform, I'd encourage everyone to go buy that. I gotta say, the re-emergence of VOOT on XBLA makes me a bit hopeful...

9. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

Awesome vid.

Fighting Vipers 3 with VF5 quality graphics would be beyond amazing. I think I remember reading somewhere that SEGA would someday make a FM2 if the fans demanded it enough.

Zero, how well does FV play on the PC? Do you need a high end PC? Lord knows I don't have one. I have my 360 arcade stick installed on my PC so I can use it to play FV2 if my PC permits it.

By the way, BM is by far a waaay cooler boss then Dural.

10. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    HAHHAHAHAHA

... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

11. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice video!!
    The reason I said FV2 ruined everything was from a super fan of FV1!! I also have to admit I wasn't that deep in FV2 coz I quit when I felt no interest at all. But I do understand all the cray stuff you mentioned above. Howver, when you put all the cray stuff together and that make this game become nothing....(I don't know how to describe in my bad English). To be honest, I don't like SC and DOA based on the system, and I'm so disappointed I even compared FV2 with both games.....
    I also need to confess that FV1 was not a balance game either, BAHN has that frecking back throw and one wall death attack with 466P+K, however, this game was extremely exciting and fucking fun to play and being a audience!!!

I also would like to see FV3!!!! But if VF series comes out this way like FV series, I'll do the same comment as well. I didn't mean to argue with anyone coz everyone has different angle to see one thing. All I can say about FV2 is "expect more, more disappoint".

12. Ash_Kaiser

Ash_Kaiser Marly you no good jabroni I make you humble... Bronze Supporter

B.M. is definitely cooler than Dural. I'm also glad that they made Mahler and B.M. a lot more different from each other.

I must admit that when I first played FV2, it didn't feel as fun as the original, but I stuck with it, and the more I played, the more enjoyable it became. I can't play the first one anymore though.

Am I the only person who actually liked Imaitoons' designs? I know this is me being a Mahler fanboy again, but I absolutely loved that design. That armour was just far too cool.

And yes, Zero, please do a stream of FV2 advanced stuff. I'd like to see that.

13. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Yeah i've never heard them say that before.

14. Sidna7

Sidna7 Well-Known Member

I haven't touched FM for over 10 years, but all I remember is that it was mad fun...and something about a Daytona car /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Another game that I loved back in the day was:
    [​IMG]
    The move canceling into throw system was a neat ass way to keep things extreme...

15. _Denkai_

_Denkai_ Well-Known Member

FatalRose is right, Sega actually did say that in an interview some years ago..well sort of.

Interview with Makoto Oosaki at AM2

"When asked about a sequel to Fighters Megamix, Oosaki suggested, jokingly, that if 50,000 people want Fighters Megamix 2, AM2 would make it. This was a joke, and he made sure to specify just that before stating it... so don't go calling your friends and starting a riot. Actually, Oosaki commented that there's something more pressing to take care of before a sequel to Fighters Megamix... presumably, this is a reference to VFX. Hey, you try making a game that revolutionizes a genre, and see if you've got energy to do another game on the side!"

So I guess that's a never /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

16. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    They said it about shenmue jet grind streets of rage and a whole bunch of other stuff. Sega doesn't love you.

17. Feck

Yeah Tekken vs VF too, I think if Sega say "we'll make it if the fans demand it" then that translates to a definite no.

18. Truesonic2k

Truesonic2k Well-Known Member

I started playing this game again out of boredom and fell in love with it again. I notice you all are talking about Fighters Megamix yet the title says Fighting Vipers... you guys confuse the two games or did I miss something? Either way I started playing with Jane again, as much as I hate her design I like her powerful moves. She's like the female equivalent of Jeffry ya know?

19. Feck

Most people seem to be talking about Fighting Vipers 1 and 2, Megamix is only mentioned a few times.

20. Gernburgs

Gernburgs Well-Known Member

Is Fighting Vipers made by AM2???