1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

finally VF4 ps2 pics!!!

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Sudden_Death, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

here <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.gamerweb.com/content/tgs101101_02.html>http://www.gamerweb.com/content/tgs101101_02.html</A>
    ah, FUCK!!! i have to pay to see the fucking movies!??? hell no!!

"Replay - I am guessing, but you save your best fights onto the PS2 memory card (better stock up) and them watch them. This would be particularly good in a serious tournament environment I think..."

cool, they put one of the feautures i submitted!! imagine trading game save files via email (like dc does). hopefully ps2 will have internet connection by then.

[​IMG]
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by piccolo on 10/11/01 03:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

And Dex Drives are gonna be available for PS2!!!! WOOHOO!

BTW, wasn't the last Sega made fighter (not counting VOOT) with a replay Fighting Vipers?

-Chanchai

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just from those blurry screens alone, it seems like the PS2 version is considerably less detailed than arcade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I guess I should wait for better pics before making any definitive conclusions.

4. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Uh oh Jeff. Now you're going to face the wrath of Andy.

Although, I agree, word for word. See? Miracles do happen.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

5. E-Dog

E-Dog Member

I hate to admit it, but Andy might actually be right this time(perish the thought!!) I need to see it in action before I pass judgement however

Now can you dig it...SUCKAS!!!!!!!!!

6. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

As Jeff said, better pics are needed, but to my own eyes it seems pretty clear that the textures are not as good. And either it's in a lower res or the PS2's anti-aliasing really is utter shit, but jaggies really do stand out in some of those pics, much much more than they do in pics of the arcade.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

7. adsega

adsega Well-Known Member

like the article says, the game looks much better than in the pics. we will have better quality pics tomorrow. the movie will be finished uploading in 30 mins. then, when you see it moving, it looks much better. the detail is definitely there. read the article!

Adam Doree
    GamerWeb.com

[​IMG]

8. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

So far it's looking good. The colour is vibrant drowning my fears of the PS2 texture memory problems and the pictures, while not of a high quality look respectable to me. I'm delighted that they have added the character edit and replay options, though I was wishing for a team battle mode too. My fingers are crossed that the A.I. option will run along the lines of the old VF2 expert mode with regard to the CPU getting better etc.

The all round presentation looks splendid. We must take into account that the game is far from finished yet. Kudos to Adsega (Adam Doree).

Adio.

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Umm arcade anti aliasing is extremely bad as well , I doubt the PS2 version will suffer from much worse .
    With that aside yes textures will kill the PS2 version graphically most likely .

10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Arcade on Standard Res monitor definitely has issues with anti-aliasing. However, I would like to see the Naomi2 with VF4 hooked up to a high res VGA monitor (which it can do).

-Chanchai

11. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    Guys I for one am VERY excited. I'm really glad that they've decided to include the character edit, survival, replay and AI modes. It looks like we're getting the kind of port we've been hoping for. I'm a little suprised that there are no VF.net features mentioned as of yet, but we'll see if the rest of the show holds more details. I wouldn't be suprised if they kept that Arcade only to keep people in the arcades.

Graphically (which I don't really give too much of a shit about TBH) I think this is looking quite on par with the arcade, actually. As Nick and Almaci pointed out, the arcade is by no means jaggie-free, and these shots look no worse to me. If you look at Jeffry Body-Pressing Jacky, and check out the cage, people who've played the arcade a bit can attest that it doesn't get better than that for the jaggedness of the bars in the arcade; I'd almost say this looks better in that respect.

But, the real graphical muscle of VF4 lies in the characters, not the BG's. So far, Jacky's close-ups are giving me hope. His face looks pretty much identical to the arcade, and the resolution on his hand is also encouraging to me. If you look at close-ups in the mooks/magazines, it's about the same I think. Jacky's long hair looks pretty smooth as well. Now texture wise I was really trying to see the texture on Akira's gi and Jeff's pants, which I couldn't, but Adam says it's there (although he has been known to blow some sunshine up an ass or two before... truth be told) so maybe it's there. Honestly, while those textures are one of the neater things to look at in the game, I doubt they're really texing or anything, so I don't see why they wouldn't be.

The only thing that seems MAYBE to look funny to me at this point is the muscles, mainly Vanessa's arms. It looks like they're relying less on poly's than on textures now, but I could be wrong, and the shot of jeffry with his arm up over his head seems good, armpit not noticably distorted. Remember, as there are currently onlt 4 char and 3 stages, it's early, guys. But again, I'm pretty pleased, and think it's looking REALLY close.

Regarding the AI mode, this could be a direct training/programming mode for the CPU, Anarchy in the Nippon style. It could also give players the ability to save/load learned/taught date from other player's memory, and compile it with your own. Imagine uploading Jeff's Kage into your AI, cool... If there is learning though, I'd imagine it'd require the Hard Drive. I just don't think the PS2 memory card can hold all that with any kind of reasonable transfer rate; but maybe I'm wrong. Remember that the only reason the Saturn had it was because of all that internal memory.

If the Japanese release date really IS Dec. 20th, I'm gonna be buying a japanese PS2 soon. Hopefully, they'll clarify that this weekend.

I'm hyped. Can't wait to see everyone's custom characters at gatherings! I know ...I'm a dork....

Spotlite

12. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

Bryan,

I'm also pretty psyched about the ps2 version; very refreshing to see am2 putting some real effort into it.

On the subject of AI learning, I think the ps2 memory card would be just fine to retain all the data the game requires; in fact, the saturn internal RAM totals only 32KB - a fraction of the 8MB space in the ps2 memory card - and it was enough to hold all of the vf2 data; so I think that even a complete vf4 save (character data, AI data, etc) wouldn't be too taxing.

13. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    Nice, Manoel. I was hoping someone who actually KNEW about memory etc. would clear that up ;).

Anyway, here's IGN's blurb, that sounds like a quickly translated brochure:

TGS 2001: Virtua Fighter 4 PS2 Features Detailed

Sega has released gameplay details about the PlayStation 2 version of AM2's 3D fighting game.

October 11, 2001

Sega's announcement that Virtua Fighter 4 would be released exclusively, their words not ours, on PlayStation 2 earlier this year is still a bit shocking to us. But, it's starting to hit home a bit more and more as new information about PS2 version begins to crop up. While the game doesn't appear to be playable on PS2 at this fall's Tokyo Game Show 2001 Autumn, as the arcade version is all we've seen on the floor, Sega has gone ahead and give us a list of the PS2-specific features.
    Features of the Product
    * Quality that Stands Up to that of the Arcade Version
    The development staff for "Virtua Fighter 4," some of the best developers at AM2 who have worked on many masterpieces in the past, are putting their whole energy into development of the game. The goal is for both those who have played the arcade edition of "Virtua Fighter 4" and for those who will play this title on PS2 for the first time to feel satisfied.
    * Training Mode
    "Virtua Fighter 4" is not a mere port from the arcade version. A training mode is added as a new element unique for home-use console! Evolving the former training mode, it is possible for players to train themselves without getting tired. Even beginners can practice from the basics of the system, and experts can improve themselves, too.
    * Original Mode
    The developers are creating not only a training mode, but an "A.I. mode" that can be enjoyable even for people who are not so good at action games. This is an original mode for PS2! We are also planning many other original modes.
    * Grade and Items
    "VF4" includes a grade system, which utilizes a "VF4 Character Access Card." offering correspondence to a few hundred popular items from the arcade version. Sega is reconstructing these elements on the PS2 edition, using a memory card.
    * Stage Concepts
    Appearance of the stage changes in the game are in real time according to the development of the battle. For example, if you thrust away an opponent character, walls will collapse, or you can attack while scattering the sand or snow. Sega will reproduce these dynamic effects also on the PS2-edition, which have been popular in the arcade-version.
    * Way of Controls
    "VF4" goes back to the basic notion of controls. Buttons are for actions, and levers, for movement. The developers adopted three buttons for Punch, Kick and Guard, and an eight-direction lever for movement. They removed the Escape button from the last game, and reconstructed a control system that responds more directly to the player's request.

14. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Rich: I couldn't believe it at first either; I thought you were talking to someone else!

Brian: PS2 VF4 does look good and I will definitely pick it up, even if I had bought a VF4 arcade (a distinct possibility). I am glad that Sega seems to be treating this like a real port.

15. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Now, why does it take sega to be a third party to make grade A translations of VF?

"Victory can be anticipated, but not assured" Sun-Tzu

16. 3of19

3of19 Well-Known Member

"If the Japanese release date really IS Dec. 20th, I'm gonna be buying a japanese PS2
    soon. Hopefully, they'll clarify that this weekend"

spotlite, where did you hear that? Oh my that would be too sweet to be true. OMG, I need a Japanese PS2. Urg, never thought I'd say that.

17. akiralove

XBL:
    JTGC
    I noticed in the segaweb shots of the mode select scteen that it says in "Character Edit" that you can edit a character's AI file.

This from IGN:

TGS 2001: Sega Shows VF4 PS2

In related news, AM2 has mastered the PlayStation 2 hardware.

October 12, 2001

We were a bit suspicious when AM2 stated that they could do a perfect arcade to PS2 port of Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2. Afterall, the Naomi 2 is no slouch when it comes to lighting effects and polygons, and, to be blunt, we`ve yet to see a PS2 title that comes close to matching the arcade VF4 as far as visuals are concerned.

Well we should`ve learned long ago not to doubt the power of AM2. Team lead Yu Suzuki demonstrated the PS2 version of VF4 for the first time today at a Sega press conference, and one thing is clear having seen the game in motion: PS2 owners can expect arcade perfection -- or something very close to that.

Although the game was shown on a somewhat unclear projection screen, AM2 has clearly moved all the graphical effects, backgrounds and character models over from the arcade to Sony`s misunderstood black box. We got to see a variety of characters and backgrounds over a variety of situations, and everything seemed to be on the uppity-up to us. Of course, the screen keeps us from forming a definite opinion, but we`re more excited than we`ve ever about the game, and in some ways, about our PS2 systems.

VF4 has been given a January 31, 2002 release date. Nope, it won`t make Christmas, but perhaps AM2 will be bringing gamers all over the world a sort of Christmas in late January.

I've been searching every site I know for info/shots. The Famitsu site has a page, but the link is busted....

Looks like 1/31/02. I forget where I heard 12/20... Still, end of Jan. is 2 months ahead of supposed US date.

If AM2 makes a new character access system for the PS2 (the card system on a memory card), what do you guys think about encouraging them to include support for all regions in each version? That way, people traveling to other countries can use their characters, and people who buy the Jap. ver. can continue using their cards in the US version. If this sounds good, we should bombard the AM2 site with e-mail.

Spotlite

18. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    "Now, why does it take sega to be a third party to make grade A translations of VF?"

hehehe I dunno? I don't care about the ps2 port. Just give me the damn game now in the arcades! Thats all i'm concerned about.Console gaming has got on my last nerve right now. I'm not even considering them at the moment. I've been going back to my roots.

19. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

>Now, why does it take sega to be a third party to make grade A translations of VF?

Or ANY of their fighting games. The conversion of FV2 was quite lacking, as well, even moreso than VF3tb.

BTW, with all the deals Sega's been making with the XBox (most notably the Shenmue 2 deal), I certainly think a VF4 port might come there in the future as well. Though IIRC, Sony has an exclusivity contract for a while, at least.

20. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Bullshit, Sega wouldn't produce such an expensive Hardware with such tecnical Specifications if an 1 to 1 port was possible. textures in the Background will be certainly very blurred and not so detailed. Impossible to compare the PS2 to N2.
    Why doesn't AM2 release High Res screnns like they did withe the Vf4 unveiling, is there something to hide.......certainly there is.........Below are the official specifications for Sega of Japan's Naomi 2 arcade board. The specifications are very similar to that of the Naomi board with the exception of a few enhancements. For example, the GD-ROM medium option and the increased polygon generation are such enhancements.
    CPU
    128-bit Hitachi SH4 RISC Processor
    200 MHz
    360 MIPS
    1.4G FLOPS
    Graphic Chip
    2x Power VR2
    10 Million Polygons Per Second
    Sound Engine
    Super Intelligent Sound
    32-bit RISC CPU
    64 channel ADPCM

Main Memory
    32 MB
    Graphic Memory
    32 MB
    Model Data Memory
    32 MB
    Media
    ROM or GD-ROM

Image Display Processing Functions
    Bump Mapping
    Fog
    Half Transparency Effect
    Mip Mapping
    Bi-linear/Tri-linear Filtering,
    Burr Anti-Aliasing
    Parallel Processing of Texture
    Environmental Mapping
    Specular Effect
    16 sources of light
    Game Port
    JAMMA Video Standard
    Optional Extended Function
    GD-ROM, Network
    Others
    Dual Monitor Function
    RS232C Serial Port

And if it would be a 1 to 1 port than i have to say that N2 is the most crap arcade sega hardware in history, there are already a lot of N2 games that are dissapointing in the tecnical side, no comparison with the incredible system 16, model 2-3 Sega hardware