1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

finally VF4 ps2 pics!!!

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by Sudden_Death, Oct 11, 2001.

1. GeeseHoward

GeeseHoward Active Member

Yep. I think it's a load of shit that Sega have done anything like a 1:1 conversion from the Naomi2.
    Anyone who has seen Tekken 4 and Vf4 side-by-side will agree.
    Apart from the fact that the PS2 would probably choke replicating the lighting alone, the poly detail will not be translated to PS2. Then there is the textures. 32MB of RAM with compression just aint going to go across the skinny little BUS of the PS2. Now way in hell.
    Oh, there's also the point that the game will not be progressive on the PS2 either. In the arcade its pure VGA bliss. On the home system you will have to put up with aliasing and jaggy visuals.
    I think Namco are an excellent development company, and there is no way sega can make them look this bad with a conversion of VF4.
    Show us the screens.

2. GeeseHoward

Check out the vids on IGN http://ps2.ign.com/news/39068.html
    The first one looks like crap. Devoid of lighting and texture detail appears to be on par with all other PS2 fighters (ie crap)

3. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    I agree with what you say - that Naomi 2 is a lighting and texture beast. The poly count could easily be donw on the PS2 though. Could it be that they designed the arcade with PS2's limitations in mind? Hm.........that shit sucks - if it is true. (And it seems to be pointing in that direction). We definitely need clear pics to check the texture quality when compared to arcade, but the poly count and lighting (from the stages shown so far) seem intact. The texture on certain areas of the arcade version was kinda crappy - no excuse given the huge amount of ram that Naomi 2 has. I think this is the biggest indication that Yu was pulling punches when creating VF4 for arcade (graphically speaking).

[​IMG]

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I don't know, VF4 didn't seem like it was using all that many polygons on the bodies. Could be just me... But the polygon arrangments on the bodies reminded me of Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade). Especially Jeffry's back where you would see how "uncurved" it looked. Gotta admit that the faces seem to pack a lot though. I haven't seen the facial expressions on the PS2 yet though (but I'm sure it should be able to handle that).

-Chanchai

5. GeeseHoward

You guys need to go back to the 'cades and take a good hard long look at VF4.
    Its character models are FAR FAR better than anything I have ever seen - DOA3 included.
    Take a look a wolf's or Jacky's face for an indication.
    They are far more detailed than T4, T3 or anything else. Not to mention the lighting and textures. Now way it's coming close to the arcade.

6. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Where are the typical screen to screen coparisons to show how similar the games look. It will be a good port I agree, but textures and Lightning no way!!!!!!

7. gribbly

gribbly Well-Known Member

I don't find it that unbelievable that the PS2 port will be close to the arcade. Great as it looks, it isn't _that_ much better than the current generation of consoles.

LOD (level of detail) systems can manage polygon scene budgets pretty effectively, meaning that just because a character has a high res face up close doesn't mean they have a high-res face all the time.

grib.

8. E-Dog

E-Dog Member

I have to agree with Adam on this one, the PS2 can easily translate the polys over but lighting and textures might be a problem. However, we are talking about the programmers of AM2, arguably the best programmers on the arcade scene. From people who have worked on the PS2, there's still alot that can be done with the system as I'm told we've barely scratched the surface of what it really can do. If AM2 did "dumb-down" the graphics of VF4 to create a perfect home port of it, then kudos to them. The only way we will see a VF5 is if they sell a ton of product on the PS2. I personally think they can pull it off but I need more pics and movies to base my judgement on. Oh yeah, the PS2 has a VGA adapter even though it's bootleg as shit but it works.

Now can you dig it...SUCKAS!!!!!!!!!

9. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    VF4 is the cheapest version of VF ever, with the most common hardware. Today at the show, I confirmed that ($4800.00 US for the whole cabinet), and that all other VF's were much more expensive.

Whatever with your cry of "bullshit". You've been posting the hardware specs for months of Naomi 2 etc. You have some big crusade you're on about the hardware, and I really don't give a shit about hardware, or sega/sony crap. I hate Sony, and the PS2, actually.

I'm calling it as I see it: BG's look spot on from these stills, and characters (where the real power is eaten up) look like they might be suffering slightly, but I can't tell from these shots.

And I still don't think AM2 has decreased graphical quality on purpose, that makes no sense to me. If anything, I can see saying (based on lame low-res textures on certain parts of the arcade BG's) that it was rushed. But honestly, I don't think N2 is some huge powerhouse of hardware. One arcade operator at the show today put it best: It's a console system. My friend at SOA said the same thing, it's a dreamcast game, basically. It loads off a GD rom.

But like I said before, don't really give a shit about graphics anyway.

Spotlite

ps and I think for any of us to try to pass judgement on a unfinished game that we've never seen or played is as dumb as people judging the arcade's graphics when they've never seen it in person.

10. Kiuju

Kiuju Well-Known Member

PSN:
    JOHNNYDANGE12
    I don't care. Give us Vf4 in our set damnit. I'mm about done with the console scene.

11. VIVI

VIVI Active Member

$4800, what cabinet you get with it ? Mini Megalo, Super Megalo ?

12. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

This is an early version. I remember watching the first version of vf3tb at TGS and thinking how disappointing it was (it was an earlier version on video above the stations with a newer playable version of the game).

Having said that and having watched the ign movie, I have to say, I didn't realize how impressive the lighting features were in vf4 arcade until I saw the ps2 movies. Ehgads, it looks so flat on the ps2 at this phase. I guess lighting really does make a difference. I'm sure they haven't implemented the lighting yet, so we'll see something better by the time it comes out, but it is _really that_ noticable...

-Jason

13. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    I'm sure they haven't implemented the lighting yet, so we'll see something better by the time it comes out, but it is _really that_ noticable...

I'm with you on this one.

The other thing I noticed, especially after watching the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/gs/gsnews/01_10/tgs/vf4_tgs_trailer.mpg>gamespot trailer</A> was the distinct lack of texture on Akira's gi. You get a good look at it right at the end of the movie, during his winning pose, where the camera is zoomed up really close.

I know it's not the final version being displayed here, but it remains to be seen whether this will change or not.

Having said all that though, I'm pretty damned excited about the home release. The facility to train the CPU is just too cool! Maybe, just maybe, CPU Kage will finally perform a "real" TFT combo.

14. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

Regarding the AI system

Ur friend can train his AI system...record it onto the memory card...bring it over to ur place, then have ur cpu fight like ur friend~

Training mode..U can slow down the speed of the moves...making it possible to view it slowly...checking exactly what level the move hits

Cannot remember what else was mentioned~

<font color=red>~~~ 'Flock off feather brain, or u can stick around and find out the hard way!/versus/images/icons/mad.gif~~~'

15. chingdude

chingdude Well-Known Member

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?page=3&num=5762&find=&ftext=>http://www.ruliweb.com/data/rulinews/read.php?page=3&num=5762&find=&ftext=</A>

RuliWeb has uploaded the original GamerWeb VF4 PS2 video in MPEG format. It features a few seconds of Jacky vs Jeffry as the highlight.

16. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Cheers for the link

Thankyou very much. Now that I've seen the PS2 version I must say that I am very excited. The coversion looks very fluid and true to the arcade. The only problem was with regard to the texture and lighting which was weak but I guess they haven't been properly installed yet. I thought that certain characters looked better than others which I'm guessing is down to the level of completion each character is in. Jeffery and Jacky looked very good while the textures on Vanessa were not very good at all, I have hope in the conversion, things are looking good so far.

Adio.

17. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

High-Res Pics...

tell,me the difference, you lucky VF4-N2- players...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

Re: High-Res Pics...

Those are from the arcade version. I think. Either way, if those pics are from the ps2 version, then what's up with this shot?

[​IMG]

This was put up months time ago on Sega's movelist page; the same shot was also published in magazines. I think IGN is being stupid and misleading.

--
    "A chem bla deshembla blurr fuh bli fouzh"

19. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Re: Cheers for the link

The video clip at Gamespot has further boosted my confidence in AM2, Everything moves like it should and with the trainning mode alone I'm very excited. All that's need is a demonstration of the PS2's lighting effects and all my fears will disapear completely.

Adio.

20. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Re: High-Res Pics...

Ya know, there still isn't a VF4 in Minneapolis; the damned Megamall doesn't even have T4. Still, I'm hoping the close-up of Akira was from the home version. That second photo, however, is definitely from Sega's VF4 website. I don't think Sega's going to have any real trouble with the Playstation 2. Remember, these guys had to deal with the Saturn. If Yu Suzuki could put VF2 onto Saturn, then VF4 should be a friggin' snap. What's been shown so far is terrific.

I really hope the training modes are comprehensive, for the benefit of all those who are unfamiliar with the game. I can't tell y'all how jealous I am that you're pumping quarters into this game (at least I have my Saturn).

-----
    "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How the elephant got in my pajamas, I don't know."
    -- Groucho Marx