1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Execution a bit hard.

Discussion in 'Jacky' started by avok23, Apr 14, 2012.

1. avok23

avok23 Active Member

Hi guys. I used to play VF4e a while back on the PS2 controller. It was fun and i had zero execution problems with Jacky and Lau.

When I got VF5 on the Xbox it was a bit unbearable with that dpad so i stopped playing it. I recently got the game again and this time i decided to get a stick.
    But i am finding The combos/series a bit hard to do with jacky (especially anyone that bounces). I dont know if its my timing but i cannot stop thinking about how to press the button during a match and basically play with no combos cos its safer than whiffing.

Does anyone have any tips? I find hitting the diagonals very inconsistent. I have been trying to give VF5 4-8 hours a week and i can do the command time trial in 3 minutes. And maybe its because there are no videos accompanying the Jacky combos on this site cos i recently tried VF4e with a stick and was able to complete Akira's challenge and combo series as well as most of jacky's in about 2 hours and those had video examples.

I don't know if i am begging someone to make a video or someone to teach me how to use a stick.

I really believe if i can get past this hurdle i can get much better.

2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    avok23 - someone who uses Jacky can give you better advice...but it sounds like you just switch from pad to joystick recently. It does take a certain amount of time to get used to hitting diagonals with joystick. My advice for that is just go into free training mode. Display the command input in free training mode while practicing moves that require diagonal input. You can see how your input is register when you correctly input it and also what you did wrong if your move does not execute.

You can check out the Joystick subforum. That mostly will have some useful advice on using joysticks. Good luck!

3. Daydream

Daydream Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Daydream CE
    Well, I'm new to vf but have been playing with a stick way longer in other fighters. Hope I can help in some way.

Because you have problems with consistent diagonals may I suggest you turn on input display while you train, and maybe on replays as well. That might give you a clue about what you are doing wrong, and might help you "think" differently while you perform the diagonal inputs.

As with the combos feeling forced during versus matches, maybe you just need to play more games for the combos to feel natural. Of course if you spend a lot of time in training mode and learn a lot, that is not going to come out naturally once you start playing against opponents who fight back because of a different mindset in actual games.

I usually try out a few things in training mode and then try to get some games in where I mainly try out the new stuff I've learned. After a while I kind of get the hang of when these things work and when they don't. Quest-mode (expert) might do for combos. Also of course you want them stuck in the back of your head to avoid them feeling forced and predictable.

4. avok23

avok23 Active Member

Thanks guys. I actually turn on the display. The problem is mainly when i have to crouch dash or double tap i get a lot of forwards (4 or 6). My input is so messy.
    I am even trying to speed up my button press from 5-6 frames to 3 (which the cpu uses when executing in tutorials).

Akai thanks for the link. I just realized that the 3 new players I tried i found slightly easier to execute due to no muscle memory (Eileen, Brad and Akira).

What are your button layout?
    i use p, k, p+g(for P+k+g only)
    g(for P+g), g(for k+g), N\A

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Just G, P, K as displayed in the game's command display

6. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

For VF on stick most people use the first two buttons on the top row for [P] then [K] and the first button on the bottom row for [G].

P K x
    G x x

That's how it looks if that makes sense. You don't really need to assign shortcuts like [K]+[G] to specific buttons since VF only has 3 buttons. As for your inputs, that'll just take practice, quest mode can be fun for learning combos so you can do them from muscle memory.

Reading up on input buffering and the rest of the pages in the wiki might benefit you as well [​IMG]

7. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

I think this is very good advice and applies to pretty much anything about VF. At least for me, from the start I've always improved the most when trying to learn or improve on things this way without worrying too much about mixing everything up or being predictable etc at first.

Avok23, if you can do the command time trial in 3 minutes you should definitely be able to do the combos, it just takes a little practise. No need to learn them all at once, I suggest you begin with the more basic ones that aren't character or stance specific.

I messed around a bit with Brad lately and I actually played some quest mode on normal rather than expert to get a feel for his combos in a match setting without having to worry about having my ass kicked. [​IMG] I also think having button shortcuts on a stick will only make things harder to be honest.

8. avok23

avok23 Active Member

Thanks guys. Blossy what did you think of my Jacky last night?
    I had just finished playing a cannon-ball vanessa (run back flying kick) and you were so pro-active i was just stunned.

9. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

Some people, myself included, use the first top three buttons for GPK.

10. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Just keep playing is the best advice. Don't neglect to play on the other side of the screen though, a lot of players have problems with inputs on one side and it can really hurt their game. There are a few Akira players I have played who struggle so much on the player 2 side that I put them on that side and watch them try to tick throw me to change position again.

I only really play VF on a pad so I can't give any insight on playing with a stick for this game. Just play often and don't get too stressed out if you're dropping stuff every now and then.

Just run through your combos until you can hit them, say 5 times straight. Then from that up it in 2's. By the time you get up past 20 they'll be second nature. Then switch sides and try from player 2 side.

11. blossy1000

blossy1000 Well-Known Member

Well... Last night I was at home enjoying some VF when a drunk friend suddenly decided to crash at my place after a party for some reason. We were having some beers and talking and for some reason I kept playing VF, but I played a number of Jackys in a row at this point and to be honest I don't really remember your particular style too well. I can tell you more after the next time we play though. [​IMG]

12. avok23

avok23 Active Member

I practice hard last night and i suddenly was able to do a lot more combos. I think my timing was a huge problem.
    Just 1 question do you guys rest your hands on the stick or do they float? Both hands. I usually rest them.

13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

They both rest, but sometimes my hands will hover if I'm doing some crazy stuff or something that's kinda difficult.

14. JackyB

JackyB Well-Known Member

You just need to get use to the Gate. I went thru the same thing when I went from pad to Stick in SF4. It takes alil while, but its so nice when you feel natural with it.