1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

flashing grey items. (ps2)

Discussion in 'Quest, Kumite and Items' started by bfnh, Mar 27, 2002.

1. bfnh

bfnh Member

PSN:
    bfnh
    not sure if anybody else has experienced this phenom yet. and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

On my way to champion in kumite, young steiner (wolf) faced many opponents, defeating all those ranked 10th dan, yet losing to a few here and there that were ranked above him, and, shockingly, dropping a match to a meager 8th dan opponent. after ranking up to champion, and going into the edit file to check for his beautiful new color choices, i noticed that "face paint" (obtained after 20 straight victories, i think) was flashing grey & white (the color of the rest of the menu items).

after i switched the color of his ring attire, the face paint disappeared, although it was still selected and selectable. to regain the facepaint, i had to switch to a different color for his ring attire, and that every switch would turn it off or on.

after exiting, with the face paint on, and winning a match or 3...i didn't encounter the problem anymore.

does anyone know what the grey items mean? possible running into it in the japanese version. is there a concrete list of which items can and can't be lost and what are the conditions involved in losing them?

i'm pretty sure i didn't lose to any other wolf characters, i tend to house them pretty soundly when we face off.

2. Darren

Darren Member

Hey man, are you saying if you go against the same opponent that you are in Kumate mode if you lose or win you take each other's items?

3. SINphul

SINphul Member

I have had flashing items on Jacky...mostly his glasses. I read somewhere that the game is trying to load the item, which is why it isn't showing on the character model in the edit screen. I think it may just be a bug in the game. As far as I know, the only items you can "lose" are sphere items...

4. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

When you win a mirror match, there's a chance that you'll steal something from your opponent if they have an item that you don't already have... I'm sure that's how I got Sarah's star necklace. Win those mirror matches if you want to collect all the items.

5. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

As far as I know, only 100-win items can be taken/gained in a mirror match. If it's like the arcade, you won't get a treasure chest either, but it'll be equipped in the next fight.

6. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

PS2 is different then the arcade then, unless the star necklace is Sarah's 100 win item... but I doubt that. I fought another Sarah who was wearing it, won, and got a treasure chest. I had to go to edit character to get the necklace on my Sarah. Hmm... I had already equipped another necklace, so maybe if there wasn't anything around my Sarah's neck the star necklace would have appeared in the next match.

Now I gotta get those matching star earings... =)

7. bfnh

bfnh Member

PSN:
    bfnh
    cool...

that seems to make sense. i haven't encountered the problem again. i was worried that i would lose the long hair (wolf) in a battle, but it seems that it stuck with me.

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Interesting, I didn't get jack shit for my 100th win with Sarah...

9. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

You might have already stole it from another high ranking Sarah...
    Can anyone confirm if there's a 100 win item for *every* character?

I lost 10~12 matches in a row with out tech rolling to see what would happen and got king tuts mask. I won the next few matches as I would normally play, and it disappeared. Unfortunately, I don't have access to it in the edit character section... I don't think I'd ever voluntarilly use the mask, but it'd be nice to have the option to equip it whenever I wanted. Note that when the mask appeared it removed the glasses and ear rings that I had equipped.

Still trying to get those purple star ear rings... =)

10. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

These flashing items appeared when I experimented a bit.

I have a "bawang" (Warlord) Sarah. I fought against a dummy 4kyu Sarah I created. I won an item which I don't which it is. I think it is some green sunglasses. I used the change mem card position trick to accomplish this.

I go to the character item edit screen and lo, the earing and eyewear are gone and the list for the respective positions are flashing grey. I reselect them and they re-appear. Some items when selected will be flashing grey for the first time. Reselecting them again will make it disappear. Strange.

11. BardtheBowman

BardtheBowman New Member

That one item is a dunce item... you get it when you lose real bad a lot... you cannot remove it until you win matches... also you cannot wear it by choice... or at least not taht I've seen.

12. Jalaad

Jalaad Member

Re: cool...

I'm still a little confused as to what you actually saw, but I know that my PS2 version of VF4 takes a while to load the items that I choose. Once the item is selected, the name starts flashing and I can hear the game console accessing the VF4 disk. After a while (sometimes it takes as long as 7 seconds) it goes back to normal and the item then appears on the character in the edit screen. This is true for switching uniform colors as well. Bottom line: This is a system performance phenomenon, not a bug. Let me know if I'm off-base on this one.

13. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

I tested this some more... To get rid of Sarah's king tut head you need to win 5 matches in a row. I also was able to get it on by simply losing one match by 3 excelent rounds--I didn't do any damage to the opponent.

Now what is the requirement to get the goofy glasses? Are they even a curse item? I'll try not tech rolling for a couple of matches to see what happens tomorrow...

14. bfnh

bfnh Member

PSN:
    bfnh
    Re: cool...

yeah, i think that it was just a pointless glitch. nothing to do with actual gameplay or item loss. after i went into edit file, the item "facepaint" was already flashing, w/out me attempting to switch the items. after i read the above explanation, i noticed that the flash was exactly like the flash that happens when you switch items or colors, so i guess it was just a load problem.

originally, i thought it may have had something to do with my losses, because as i switched colors, the face paint dissappeared, but, it only happened that one time so i don't think it's anything to worry about.