1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

For fun: Being a VF scrub

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Robyrt, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Say you were introducing someone to VF, and they wanted to know the best way to win simply and easily. What would you tell them? (For example, in the case of T4 an answer might involve "abuse high and low jabs, they'll beat anything").

2. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

"use Jacky.
    scrub."

3. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

Fortunately for me, I've managed to meet a good number of newcomers at VF4. I usually point them to one of the easier characters, like the Bryants or Lei Fei, but suggest that they play around until they find someone they really like. I just go over the basics; ya know, blocking, throwing, and some canned combos. The really good thing is that Virtua Fighter now has a low-end game for beginners, so a little competant mashing really pays off. Of course, it you square off against a more experienced player, you'll get killed, but at least now you don't need a college class to play.

4. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It used to be a funny strategy with lau to do PPPsweep or PPPb+K and see how many times you could make the opponent guess wrong. You can do the same with aoi's PPPK or PPPsweep. In all cases if the last hit is blocked the character is reamable... but if you're playing a scrub then it doesn't matter.

If I had to name one catch-all strategy that scrubs could use to win, I'd teach them jacky's P+K, P, K combo. Use it on reflex to counter any move that was blocked or missed. Teach the scrub about how to throw for the situations where someone starts to block it reliably. That's it. Mix up the beatknuckle and throws.

5. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Attack till your opponent has a lot less health than you do, and back off.
    Repeat till either you win by K.O., or by T.O.

If you're using characters like Kage, heck, lets put in an R.O. too !

6. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Hmm...easiest way to win - practise..really, in VF, there are no "easy" ways to win..

7. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

it is not easy to win, easy is if your opponent just stood there, I would sudgest Sarah, or mabey Jacky, but I had trouble with jacky in past VF's, not as much in VF4 though.

8. ghetto-SHUN

ghetto-SHUN Well-Known Member

I agree with Shadowdean all the way.
    There is no easy way to win in virtua.
    But if anything I'd tell them to streamline
    there character of choice. Concentrate heavily on
    the high percentage moves and ignore others for
    the moment. I'd tell them what these moves were
    obviously and at the same time recommend a beginner
    character.

9. SeriousGround

SeriousGround Member

"That's punch.
    That's kick.
    And that one's block.
    Good luck."

10. UnCauzi

UnCauzi Well-Known Member

Depending on what level of play they are on I'd agree with ShadowDean; however I personally feel from beginning to moderate play at least here in the US just learning to block will make them win followed with a few elbows, low punches and down/forward attacks. This can be done with anyone with an elbow or competent sidekick.

Of course if they want to become dedicated to win a lot, they have to do what Ghetto Shun said. One of the funniest things is during my travels I've played at some VF illiterate arcades, met up with a newbie and told him of the crouching dashing, low punch, sidekick, elbow routine and he emailed me saying he's now his local vf gawd. Sad, but true.

Shit I've used this shitty pecking game to beat good players. Now a scrub lei fei of course will probably own this technique :p

11. Rodnutz

Rodnutz Well-Known Member

PSN:
    XxRodnutzxX
    XBL:
    XxRodnutzxX
    hmmmm.... i agree with shadowdean there really is no easy way to win. but if
    you want to win easily i would suggest picking a character who can constantly
    attack with out much regret... like jacky, pai, lei fei someone like that who
    can keep there opponent on there heels... but remember that using that method
    will only get you so far, and after sometime will no longer be as effective
    against more experienced players. So use it wisely for now to gain an edge and

confidence.

12. Shadowdean

This is interesting, I do some moonlighting as a coach for a few friend when the compete in Taekwondo. I generally tell them to train a few moves really well - Roundhouse kick being the first - about 80% of all points in WTF competition is won with that, so its obviously the most usefull tool. The, I tell them to focus on push kick, double roundhouse, back kick, spin hook kick...
    The rest of the training is spent on limiting the opponents options - which is what you have to do so you can control the fight - which is the same thing you do in VF - which, comes only by training.

13. UnCauzi

Neat huh, actually narrowing down your opponents options is a big part of winning any game or conflict. Controlling the pace is fundamental.

14. Shadowdean

The pace is important, but it goes even beyond that....I will give one martal arts example and one from vf
    martial arts: full contact fight - I work the opponent into a corner with leg kicks and jabs. Once in the corner, I know he can't do any jumping attacks cause he will go out of the ring, he does not have a lot of room to do a pushing attack...I have all my attacks at disposal because I have all the room behind me, he has kicks below the hip that can be shot straight out (front, chopping side kick and round house) nothing above because of room and risk of getting caught.to mount an offensive, he has either side stepping or going straight at me....thats limiting..
    VF: take the same corner of a ring, assume any further back will result in a RO. Say I am Sarah and I am facing Jacky. Jacky MUST use a forward moving attack that will not get caught up...can not flip kick because even hitting with that MIGHT RO him...he can not side step much (I believe) because he will hit the wall. I have narrowed down options.

15. UnCauzi

Oh in other words you're saying that in both tkd and vf you have anti ringout strats. Same thing in Sumo.

16. Shadowdean

Not just RO strategies, but making it so that the opponent has the least number of options avaible period....that goes for anything with combat/tactics.

17. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Read ice-9's Dojo and look to use moves with 4-5 stars. =)