1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

For the VFDC Special Titles, how often should there be Title Matches?

Discussion in 'VF Circuit' started by akai, Dec 26, 2012.

?

For the VFDC Special Titles, how often should there be title matches?

1. Yearly

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Quarterly

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Something Else. Please write your preference below.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Now that Myke got the special titles on VFDC working, the question is how long should a person be able to hold onto the title? There will be many changes coming with Season 2. So having a general idea of what people prefer (annual, quarterly, etc title matches) will be a factor on Season 2 format.

2. Genzen

Genzen Well-Known Member

There're a few ways that seem like the most obvious/reasonable.

The first is simply to have the title pass from the previous season's winner to the current season's winner. So, for example, if season 2 went the same way, but I beat Numbers in the last fight, the title would be removed from Numbers and be given to me. Then, in season 3, if the same happens again and Numbers wins, I lose the title and he gets it. etc etc.

The second would be to have titles remain indefinitely. So, now that Numbers has a title, he can forever display it. When the next person wins, they just get a title added as well. Could possibly add the year the title was won or the season number to the title, so people can see who won each time.

The third would be to have last season's champion face the current season's champion for a 'championship bout'. So, if, in season 2, Exzety and Koenraku are in the finals and Exzety wins, then Exzety would play against Numbers, with the winner retaining the title.

I think each has it's own merits and it's own downfalls - the first keeps the title fresh, but diminishes past victories; the second honours past victories but runs the risk of diminishing the value of a title (since half the board could end up with one); the third is a bit more complex and runs into problems if last season's winner makes it to the finals or can't participate in a deciding match etc.

3. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Based on discussions with Myke (he is the one awarding it), titles will be losable (past winners will be put in a history section of some sort). The question is how long should one be able to hold the title before it becomes available for others to take that title.

4. Alstein

Alstein Well-Known Member

Maybe past winners should have their title change to former.

5. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

What about actual offline tournaments?

6. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Inclusion of offline tournaments will require more people involved in the organization and maintenance. So far, their does not seem to be enough interest from people to get it to work.

Does this absolutely mean no offline events in the Circuit? No. What I need and the community need in general is more people to be proactive to build our community. I still have to write my end of the season summary, which hopefully I can explain in more details later my thoughts on the umbrella program.

7. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    For the sake of consistency, the title should hold for the length of the circuit...however long that ends up being...quarter, biannually, annually.

Edit: It seems as though you guys running the show aren't quite clear as to how long the circuit should last(?). Based off your quote above, akai, and the voting options available, the titles should hold for a year.

Other options are those presented by Genzen, or, if you recall our conversation at the end of the title match, we could go in a different direction and have the ability to challenge the champions at given intervals; a la King of the Hill type thing.

-phanatik

ExzetyXat1 likes this.
  8. ZBEP

ZBEP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ZBEP
    Hmm, as there a break inbetween the seasons of the circut, maybe the title should stay until the next season starts?

9. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    phanatik - Season 1, in many ways, was a trial and error :D, since I never done anything like this before. I will take that as a learning experience for Season 2. For the VF Circuit "Season" (aka the Umbrella program/organization), it will always be consider a yearly set of events. For the XBL and PSN "individual" league--which is planned around the title matches--we can set up a different number of events before each title match. Based on the poll so far, it will likely be a quarterly based system for the Title Matches.

ZBEP - I think it is fine to have the titles displayed now. More publicity for the VF Circuit.

10. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    I totally agree with you, akai.

btw, what are the stats regarding circuit participation? What percentage of our members are interested in participating next season?

11. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    I will be making a news post about it, hopefully before the year is out (still have one more news post to make before then).

12. Kobi

Kobi 'Noh' One Bronze Supporter

XBL:
    Waverusher Kobi
    I like having a list of former season title holders. That would be cool.

I'm throwing this out here, but I think it would be awesome if we could have two season winners duke it out as a side event. Maybe create an 'Undisputed Season 1 and 2 Champion.' We could stream that like a large event. However, if the Season X champion wins for a second season in a row, then something needs to be planned.

(Edit: That would be a problem if one of the season's winners retires with the title...)

13. akai

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    In brief - the format likely will follow this (if this is based on a quarterly fashion).

- 3 tournaments (each one having their own unique format) on a monthly basis - 1st place qualifies for the Title Match Tournament Event (3 spots).
    - 1 spot reserved for the current "Title" holder
    - Additional spots are given out to top point holders (this is variable per region, based on number of participants that played during the "season" or "quarter."

If a person decides to "retire" then his/her spot is given up.

14. VF2011

VF2011 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    M-F-B
    I voted for quarterly just because I think it would be more exciting to have title matches more often.

It does make more sense to only do it once a year but its hard to get the community excited about something that only happen once a year. This allow us to have some high profile matches that we can stream and get people talking about more often.

15. Andramelech

Andramelech Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Andramelech
    I really like the idea of having "former" champion titles. Obviously there will be more former then present champions eventually, and seeing lots of obtainable titles will stir interest in competitive minded hopefulls.

It's kind of like being a former president. You still get respect, and they still call you Mr. President.

16. DeadlyLastPush

DeadlyLastPush Member

PSN:
    Deathscythe79
    XBL:
    DeadlyLastPush
    I agree with VF2011; a year just seems like too long to keep the hype alive. I think quarterly or bi-annually would garner more consistent interest. And occasional FT10's among champs would be great as well.

Whatever form Season 2 takes, I can't wait to participate again!