1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Former tekken player...

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by SolidSnakeSSD, Nov 17, 2001.

1. SolidSnakeSSD

SolidSnakeSSD New Member

Ah, well after playing Tekken for the past 5-6 years, I can finally say that it's time to find something better. Tekken 4 really just disappointed me, and I don't see the series going in a good direction.

Well anyways, lately I have been really intrigued by VF4. I used to be a vet back in the day at VF1, 2 and Fighters Megamix, but I lost interest in it. I have yet to play it as my local arcade seems to be anti-sega. I was wondering if anyone knows any arcades that may have a VF4 unit somewhere in upstate NY near Albany or Poughkipsie.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

There's another guy in your area (Mr. Bungle) who would love it if there were an arcade in that area with VF4... unfortunately there isn't.

There's one in NYC, one in Toronto Canada, and one coming soon to Boston MA (this monday).

This site:
    http://www.feixaq.com/vf4
    keeps an updated list of places that have VF4 machines.

Good to see another Tekken player jump aboard. Good luck. If you want some movies that show what high level VF is like, try
    ftp://vf.dyndns.org (go to the random recent VF movies folder). Finally the site mentioned above has some good movies and whatnot too.
    For nice, easily printable moves lists, go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.virtuaproject.com>http://www.virtuaproject.com</a>.

3. Yang

Yang Member

can't blame you man. i just tried tek4 at dave&buster's and regal cinema, rockville last weekend. i think the graphics is pathetic.

4. Oni-Kage

Oni-Kage Well-Known Member

I'm also what you might consider a Tekken convert... but I still play Tekken only because to ME it is an enjoyable game, and I know it like the backside of my hand. (Hey what's that doing there... ack)... Err anyways... I am really enjoying the gameplay vids at VF4x and others in the VF community... the game seems to flow so fast and smoothly compared to Tekken (aka underwater fighting). The big difference seems to be that VF favors the aggressor, whereas Tekken favors the defender.

I'm trying to learn Kage as my first char in VF(4) and I was told by a few veterans... "bad choice" because VF has a steep learning curve so I should start with someone well rounded like the Bryants or Pai/Lau... what do you think? Eventually I want to get back to Kage though, personal preference.

5. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I think as long as you stay away from Akira initially you should be okay.

6. Yang

Yang Member

actually, i find kage easy... to learn, i.e. probably as easy as the bryants. but, yeah right, you should avoid akira for now, unless you have the arcade all for yourself!

7. Cause

Cause Well-Known Member

You live near Rockville..............

Please say that you do, lol

8. Kamata

Kamata Member

CreeD, awesome links, I wish I could read that korean website there..... I'm a dedicated Akira player, stuck with him since VF1....wow...now that was a long time ago...so good stuff....and just wanted to add...the SPoD is back baby, unblockable and beautiful again in VF4.

9. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    Actually it is blockable, just not reversable.

CrewNYC

10. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Actually it is blockable, just not reversable.

I'm assuming you mean the RBC cannot be escaped...? P+K+G *is* mid-P reversible...

11. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

Learning VF: just stay away from any of the "difficult" characters (Akira, Shun, Vanessa) and you should be fine. Of course, you'll probably be better off as a Bryant, Pai or Lion to start with, since pulling off impressive combos with Kage or Lau can be difficult. If you care, playing Jacky is more likely to get you labeled as a scrub, but at least there are plenty of Jacky videos.

12. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

For some strange reason Akira is labelled a difficult character, but really he's not. Akira takes less brains than almost anyone to play... he just gets the reputation for being hard because he has all the moves that are hard to do without some practice (Such as spod or DLC). Once you learn those moves, you will find that akira has strong throws, powerful midlevel attacks that lead to easy combos, and ... well, that's all you need. He has only one decent low attack, but he makes up for that by having the SDE, shrm, sgpm, etc.

13. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would recomment Lion to a beginner to learn VF. I mean, I think a beginner can use Lion just fine, but I also think a Lion can really screw up his perspective and handle of the engine if he gets used to using a few tricks.... But that's all up to the person to handle.

However, though I've been doing fairly well with Lion in VF4, I feel he's very easy to MC in VF4. VERY EASY TO MC... But when he's got his guessing game right or the state of the game is just right for him, he can be abusive. But under pressure, he's reduced to a small moveset including a PP flowchart (in my experience so far--I'll write more on that later when I talk about playing in Portland). Thank goodness he has a sabaki though/versus/images/icons/cool.gif

-Chanchai

14. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI
    of course :)

CrewNYC

15. SolidSnakeSSD

SolidSnakeSSD New Member

FYI, I'm not completly new to the VF series. As I pointed out I used to play VF1,2 and Fighters Megamix on my Saturn and 32x (gasp!) back in the day. I just really didn't get into VF3 at all.

The characters that I used to consider myself good with were Kage, Jeffery, and Akira. But since I really never got into VF as deeply as I did with Tekken I probably can't consider myself a vet or at all that good. Never really liked the Bryants at all or Pai or Lau. I'm interested in the new characters mostly because I havn't played them. I'm also very interested in learning Wolf depending on how he's developed since VF2.

16. Yang

Yang Member

Re: You live near Rockville..............

as a matter of fact i live in rockville! close to montgomery college.