1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Frame data question (guaranteed hit)

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by Viper44, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Viper44

Viper44 Member

At what frame advantage is an attack typically guaranteed.

I believe the fastest move for most characters is P which is usually 12 frames. If at or above 12 frames, would this be guaranteed?

2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Correct, your 12 frame attack is guaranteed to hit an opponent that is at a disadvantage of 12 frames or greater.

3. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

and for 11 frame jab characters, you'll need +11.

OldManMixah likes this.
  4. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    I'm gonna hijack this thread for my own frame data question.

If it takes 7 frames to be considered crouching, why can I duck a 12f high attack from -10 frames disadvantage but I can't duck a 10f throw from -4?

5. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    The game works differently for strike attacks and throw attacks when you attempt to crouch+guard . I believe if you just press down without the guard input, you will not be able to crouch and avoid the the high strike attack at -10. However, if you press Guard+Down the game takes into consideration if your opponent is using a strike or throw. So it takes just one frame, to "instantly" crouch guard to block low strike or avoid a high strike. But you do not get the "instant" crouch versus throws...hope that makes sense! A long time ago, I remember having this discussion with others on here.

Edit: @ToyDingo Apologies, I was remembering original VF5 game system that has changed in the VF5FS/US game system. In Final Showdown/Ultimate Showdown you do not need to press the down+guard button to "instant crouch" against high strike attacks. You can just press down. In original VF5 pressing down alone you cannot do the "instant crouch" against strike attacks.

Also in Final Showdown, it takes 6 frames to crouch from standing (pressing down) and 5 frames to crouch by crouch dashing. So at -4, you should be able to crouch before high throw connects, if inputted correctly.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Chanchai and ToyDingo like this.
  6. ToyDingo

ToyDingo Well-Known Member

PSN:
    BrodiMAN
    Ah ok, so the crouch animation is throwable, but not hittable. That makes sense now. I wish the game explained that somewhere though. I was sitting in training mode for far too long trying to figure out sideturned shenanigans, and just scratching my head as to why to CPU could duck certain setups.

Thanks for that @akai.

On another unrelated note, I've learned that the AI in training mode is glitched. If you use "Defensive Move 2" the AI will, for what looks like 1 frame, crouch and then evade. The AI was able to avoid setups that shouldn't have been avoidable.

Just an fyi...

akai likes this.
  7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Generally you worry about the speed of high jab which is 11 frames for Pai, Kage, Lion, and Eileen and 12 frames for everyone else. Everyone’s low jab is 12 frames and it is the standard interrupt move (think of the high jab as the standard disrup move).

Things that play with the mix:
    • Sarah has 44P which is 10 frames, is high, and turns her around for a Back Turned game.

• Vanessa has 3P from defensive stance which is an incredibly short ranged uppercut.

• Pai has 3P+K which is a 12 frame mid and 2-handed so it beats many parries and reversals too.

• Brad has 4P+K which is a high elbow that is fuzzy safe on guard and is a Counter Hit Combo starter.

9 frames:
    Wolf's 6P+G Throw (thanks @Lazy_Punches !)

10 frames:
    Throws
    Low Throws
    Sarah 44P
    Vanessa DS 3P

11 frames:
    Pai P
    Kage P
    Lion P
    Eileen P

12 frames:
    2P (all)
    P (for 15 characters—not Pai/Kage/Lion/Eileen)
    Pai 3P+K
    Brad 4P+K

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Viper44 and erdraug like this.
  8. Lazy_Punches

Lazy_Punches New Member

PSN:
    Lazy_Punches
    Wolf's 6P+G is a 9 frame throw, thought it might be worth adding to your list, @Chanchai

Didn't know Vanessa's 3P was 10f, damn. I hope they add saving replays back into the game.

Chanchai likes this.
  9. Viper44

Viper44 Member

Thanks for following up. This game has an insane learning curve since you have to study each characters stregnth and weaknesses. But been making some progress. Did notice that advanced players seem to know all the opponents moves, and how to counter.

Chanchai likes this.
  10. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Don’t be afraid to try, the knowledge builds up with time. What makes it easier is starting with the common similar moves like jabs and elbows. Then PK because it’s a standard punisher. Then the universal but slightly different moves like sidekick!

you can also learn things like -5 and Fuzzy Guard. Then you slowly learn the situations when you are at -5 after a move of yours (like elbow) is blocked. When you get really strong you can learn when the opponent puts you in -5.

you don’t need to know everything at once, but everything will come with time and serious effort and results will occassionally bear strong fruit as you improve over time.

this game is actually simple enough that you can get strong playing simply for a long time. And you can add complexity after lots of experience :)

Viper44 likes this.
  11. Viper44

Viper44 Member

Really agree with the approach. Thnk most importantly, try to have fun whle also learning little by little without getting overwhelemd. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement.

Mister and Chanchai like this.