Free Army-Ops-Recon online multiplayer game...

Discussion in 'General' started by ono, Jul 9, 2002.

1. ono

ono Well-Known Member

Although i am a huge fan of fighting games, i do venture off into other gaming territory. If You havn't heard already, the Army introduced a new Online FPS that costs absolutely nothing. To sum the strory up, It's under a budget of 6.3 million dollars, and has been in the works for 3 years. It is strictly online, and best of all, its free.

Heres the link where you can make the Download. Be weary...its 201 mb....YIKES!!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/364/364004p1.html

(just go to the bottom of the article, click the 'CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD', and you will brought to a suffice doanloader from IGN.com. (i believe this file is only a few hundred kb. After you get that downloaded, you can start the real one for the Army program.
    enjoy..

-ono-

2. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

thanks for the info ono. this game should be great.

3. Foondogg

Foondogg Well-Known Member

I think the game is called America's Army, and I hear that it may be used as a recruitment tool.

Watch out for those black helicopters.

4. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Been playing AA:O Recon with my old Q2/UT/T2 buddies since it was released last Wednesday evening.

Once you get past the MOUT McKenna authorization snafu, figure out how to use a server browser other that LameSpy, and logon to non-HomeLAN servers, the game itself is excellent (gameplay- and graphics-wise)!

Hopefully a patch will be released soon that will feature an in-game server browser, better auth code, and dedicated server implementation, and this game might... just *might*... start to approach CS levels of popularity (featuring the next-gen Unreal engine and being a free download doesn't hurt, either!).

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

I now have a small private server running America's Army: Operations Recon, for those interested in playing without having to deal with the LameSpy/HomeLAN/MOUT issues.

IP: 63.64.84.184

Load up the game and press ~ (tilde) to bring up the console, then type "open 63.64.84.184" (without the quotes) and press enter to join the server.

Good news -- you don't need to qualify in MOUT McKenna to play on this server!

For now, there is no kosher way to utilize a map rotation in an automated fashion (until the patch comes out early next week), but I manually switch between the 3 best maps available once in awhile -- Bridge, Insurgent Camp, Pipeline (all three use real guns and 'nades rather than MILES training equipment).

6. ono

ono Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks alot FeixaQ,..thats the kind of think i have been looking for...

ill be sure to check it out.

-ono-