1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrated with 1Dan Lion.

Discussion in 'Lion' started by BigBadGhost, Jun 16, 2002.

1. BigBadGhost

BigBadGhost Member

Hey Guys,
    Here is the problem I'm having. I went from 10kyu to 1 Dan with 1 loss but now that I'm 1st Dan ALMOST every time I fight another 1st Dan I seen to just get Spanked by them. I can take 2-6th with little problem but when I fight an opponent of equal rank I seem to just get humiliated by them. Is there some sort of strange difficulty to even ranked opponents? The 2 opponents that I seem to have the most problems with are the 1st dan Akira and Jacky. I usually start my rounds off with P+K then a pounce followed by b,f+K+G,b/d+p,b/d+k but I find more times than not it is blocked leaving myself vulnerable after the last low kick. I keep trying because it seems to be a pretty decent mid/long range combo. I'm familiar with most of the staple combos from the Dojo but I am still getting beat pretty bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Kaneda

Kaneda Member

I am a 2nd Dan Lion and the best combo for me at the start of the match is "[P][P][P] [K][K] [8][P]" it takes away half of your opponents health and gives you a great advantage at the begining of the match. That should help you. /versus/images/icons/ooo.gif

3. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

[8][K][K][8][P] is very abusable against the AI. [4][4][K] as a round starter is also good. try following it with [K][2_][K][K]

and good ole [K][K] works like a charm most of the time.

the [P]+[K] is very good to start combos. follow it up with [8][P]+[K][8][P]

[4][3][P][8][P] works a lot on the AI at this stage, too, because they don't TR very much.

After this, look around for other Lion threads where Kumite is discussed.

4. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

Look at the thread "Lion Players" where there is lots of advice on lion /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. BigBadGhost

BigBadGhost Member

Thanks for all the combos. Hit 2nd Dan today and I'm finding the same problem...If I fight an opponent at 6th Dan I can beat em with little to no trouble but when that SAME opponent is my equal Dan level then I just get spanked. Pretty screwed how they worked the AI. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find any counters for Lion. I know of his Meteor Punch but 90% of the time they hit right after the 15frame Sabaki window so it's almost useless. Some day I shall become like Chibita and have Mo' Skills heh. He seems to use alot of low sweeping punches and has Ninja-like reflexes. Has anyone actually done a move by move on any of his matches? Curious to see what makes him different than the rest of us. Hell I bet alot of us play as frequently as him (I'm at LEAST 4 hours a day)

It seems the more you actually know how to use the character that your opponent is using, the better you are against them. Perhaps I shall learn to use the button mashing Pai so I can know what combos to expect from her. Hope it does'nt ruin my Lion game though. Would be a pity.

6. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Well, Chibita has played close to 12,000 matches (probably more) on VF4 with Lion alone (92% win ratio!), as well as playing previous incarnations of the game. After so much time, you just have a basic instinctual knowledge of game mechanics. And, he was an early tester/advisor on the PS2 version, so THAT helps. His reflexes are just pretty nuts, too.

There was a thread called "Chibita flowcharts" or something similar that I started, where someone gave some common Chibita combos and techniques in it. Try to find that thread.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

He's got a pretty stupidly high record on Evo already. He's like 67 wins & 7 losses, and it's only in beta testing. I did see him pull off some of the new moves. On a bright side, I also saw him get his ass blown out of the water. He was kind of laughing, in a confused manner. :)

8. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Go to home page then click on Media. then click on doaih section third from top. <font color="33ffff"> Several VF4 battles with 90% win ratio Lion against good ( 60%) opponents such as Jacky and Lau. must see for the Lion player. Also the next time you lose save the match! You can now review frame by frame. save a Lion vs. Lion match asap and view a few times too! </font color> The Brotherhood of Lion /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Frustrated 1Dan Lion

This is way cool /versus/images/icons/cool.gif . check out the random clips <font color="orange">CreeD </font color> posted in media section! VF4 Ver C Battles /versus/images/icons/grin.gif Clip number 3 is a <font color="red">Lion vs Lion</font color> battle with beautiful flowing strings and deadly combos galore. All three rounds have a few counterattacks that I've not seen before. A few <font color="33ffff"> chibita-san</font color> signature moves and the sort of high level game play you expect from a 73% accurate Lion player with over 2,000 matches in Japan's intense VF4 arcades. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif