Frustrated with 1Dan Lion.

Discussion in 'Lion' started by BigBadGhost, Jun 16, 2002.

1. BigBadGhost

BigBadGhost Member

Hey Guys,
    Here is the problem I'm having. I went from 10kyu to 1 Dan with 1 loss but now that I'm 1st Dan ALMOST every time I fight another 1st Dan I seen to just get Spanked by them. I can take 2-6th with little problem but when I fight an opponent of equal rank I seem to just get humiliated by them. Is there some sort of strange difficulty to even ranked opponents? The 2 opponents that I seem to have the most problems with are the 1st dan Akira and Jacky. I usually start my rounds off with P+K then a pounce followed by b,f+K+G,b/d+p,b/d+k but I find more times than not it is blocked leaving myself vulnerable after the last low kick. I keep trying because it seems to be a pretty decent mid/long range combo. I'm familiar with most of the staple combos from the Dojo but I am still getting beat pretty bad. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Kaneda

Kaneda Member

I am a 2nd Dan Lion and the best combo for me at the start of the match is "/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif /versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif /versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif" it takes away half of your opponents health and gives you a great advantage at the begining of the match. That should help you. /versus/images/icons/ooo.gif

3. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

/versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif is very abusable against the AI. /versus/images/commands/b.gif/versus/images/commands/b.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif as a round starter is also good. try following it with /versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/D.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif

and good ole /versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/k.gif works like a charm most of the time.

the /versus/images/commands/p.gif+/versus/images/commands/k.gif is very good to start combos. follow it up with /versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif+/versus/images/commands/k.gif/versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif

/versus/images/commands/b.gif/versus/images/commands/df.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif/versus/images/commands/u.gif/versus/images/commands/p.gif works a lot on the AI at this stage, too, because they don't TR very much.

After this, look around for other Lion threads where Kumite is discussed.

4. ad91791

ad91791 Well-Known Member

Look at the thread "Lion Players" where there is lots of advice on lion /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. BigBadGhost

BigBadGhost Member

Thanks for all the combos. Hit 2nd Dan today and I'm finding the same problem...If I fight an opponent at 6th Dan I can beat em with little to no trouble but when that SAME opponent is my equal Dan level then I just get spanked. Pretty screwed how they worked the AI. I've searched high and low and can't seem to find any counters for Lion. I know of his Meteor Punch but 90% of the time they hit right after the 15frame Sabaki window so it's almost useless. Some day I shall become like Chibita and have Mo' Skills heh. He seems to use alot of low sweeping punches and has Ninja-like reflexes. Has anyone actually done a move by move on any of his matches? Curious to see what makes him different than the rest of us. Hell I bet alot of us play as frequently as him (I'm at LEAST 4 hours a day)

It seems the more you actually know how to use the character that your opponent is using, the better you are against them. Perhaps I shall learn to use the button mashing Pai so I can know what combos to expect from her. Hope it does'nt ruin my Lion game though. Would be a pity.

6. Vicious666

Vicious666 Well-Known Member

Well, Chibita has played close to 12,000 matches (probably more) on VF4 with Lion alone (92% win ratio!), as well as playing previous incarnations of the game. After so much time, you just have a basic instinctual knowledge of game mechanics. And, he was an early tester/advisor on the PS2 version, so THAT helps. His reflexes are just pretty nuts, too.

There was a thread called "Chibita flowcharts" or something similar that I started, where someone gave some common Chibita combos and techniques in it. Try to find that thread.

7. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

He's got a pretty stupidly high record on Evo already. He's like 67 wins & 7 losses, and it's only in beta testing. I did see him pull off some of the new moves. On a bright side, I also saw him get his ass blown out of the water. He was kind of laughing, in a confused manner. :)

8. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Go to home page then click on Media. then click on doaih section third from top. <font color="33ffff"> Several VF4 battles with 90% win ratio Lion against good ( 60%) opponents such as Jacky and Lau. must see for the Lion player. Also the next time you lose save the match! You can now review frame by frame. save a Lion vs. Lion match asap and view a few times too! </font color> The Brotherhood of Lion /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

9. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Frustrated 1Dan Lion

This is way cool /versus/images/icons/cool.gif . check out the random clips <font color="orange">CreeD </font color> posted in media section! VF4 Ver C Battles /versus/images/icons/grin.gif Clip number 3 is a <font color="red">Lion vs Lion</font color> battle with beautiful flowing strings and deadly combos galore. All three rounds have a few counterattacks that I've not seen before. A few <font color="33ffff"> chibita-san</font color> signature moves and the sort of high level game play you expect from a 73% accurate Lion player with over 2,000 matches in Japan's intense VF4 arcades. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif