1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

FT: Hands On Report

Discussion in 'Arcade' started by Namflow, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

Hey all I just got back from a long day at Sega Arena with mad peeps playing FT. First I'll give you a rundown of my thoughts based on character, then some info about the challenge mode, etc.

Anywyas, I played the most as wolf, so I'll start with him first:

- His new 270 throw ending in back, the F5, is great!
    - His b,d/f+p attack has a changed animation, and from the opening movie it seems that it's now a hit throw (?)
    - His d/f,d/f+p+g ->p+g has simply been changed to d/f,d/f+p+g and his old d/f,d/f+p+g seems to have been removed. The animation for this throw (the jackhammer) got buffed. Like before I thought it looked kinda weak but now wolf nails the other dude into the floor
    - Wolf's d/f+p+g throw got nerfed. Like before it was a michinoku driver with good damage, now it's like he just kinda lightly tosses his opponet to the ground. It looks like this might be a multi-throw but I don't know.
    - Wolf's u/f+p -> f+p+g hit throw got changed from a snap-mare into an uppercut
    - Wolf's catch (from behind) b+p+g got changed from the rolling germans into what looks like a t-bone taz-plex
    - Wolf's side throw drop toe-hold or whatever got changed into a suplex that also looks like some kinda t-bone taz-plex
    - Wolf's new low throw, d/b, d/b+p+g is a pedigree, it looks like they copied triple h's movements for it EXACTLY.
    - Wolf's running p+k+g unblockable high attack seems to have been nerfed as it looks different and seems to execute a LOT slower
    - Wolf's d/b,f+ppp is an elbow class move that counters moves like jacky's d/f+ppp. If the first hit hits as a minor counter they'll all connect with the last one knocking down, but it's not a slam like jacky's and is tech-rollable
    - Wolf stand's up after the stunner (b+k+g -> p+g) instead of recovering on the ground
    - b+k is a new move that's a faster side kick. It's linear and doesn't knock down, but comes out must faster than his d/f+k and will stagger a ducking opponet. Also seems to lunge forward a bit. I don't believe it's throw counterable
    - His new slap into the hit throw comes out a bit slow, like the slap. Since it's so slow and semi-circular it seems you'd need really good yomi to get it to hit
    - I think wolf's dodge attack got a minor buff as I saw someone reverse it and they threw wolf aside instead of giving him an elbow to the face

Shun:
    My main character but I didn't play as him that much cause I don't really know any of his new moves
    - f+p+k does give +4 drinks now
    - b,f+p+k is a quick couple of punches that lands him in drunken stance
    - F+k,p is kind of tricky to execute because f+k is a slow kick that'll get you into drunken stance, so you have to be careful not to do that
    - His new f+p+k+g drink isn't a fake, he'll get a drink from it, and he can also punch after getting the drink. I couldn't get the timing for any additional punches

Akira
    - The second hit of k+g,p can be charged
    - His knee seems to jump higher (imagine jeffry's knee). I dunno if this means it is more counterable or not
    - His pk looks a bit different with the kick being more of an upwards kick (kinda gay looking, like he's dancing or something)
    - Double palm is counterable as hell, but it still looks the same so it's gonna take some getting used to.
    - d/b,f+p+g throw has a better camera angle that focuses on the person falling, perhaps to make it easier to tech roll

Kage:
    - Saw some peeps trying to get his new uppercut combo off and the timing looks difficult
    - His b,d+p+g throw has better, smoother animation
    - His new b+p+g throw looks like an over the shoulder toss kinda like ken and ryu's old kick throw from SF2
    - His D,d/f+p uppercut doesn't float in minor counter. This change is awesome cause lots of times when I got hit by it I expected to go flying but I didn't. Go go nerf!!!

Jacky:
    - Has a new throw (not sure of the command) where he puts you in a headlock, kicks you in the face and screams "YEA!!!"
    - Shuffle step looks like he's dancing. He can attack on the way back now (like with a punch of some sort) and seems to be faster, plus the animation is a lot cooler anyways

Single Player Challenge Mode:
    When you start a new game you can choose original or challenge mode. Challenge mode is a bit weird. You fight a series of computer opponets, two rounds for each one. You have a mission to complete (ie: win, throw using d/f,d/f, etc). If you complete the mission or not you'll move on to the next round and can choose to move on to a more difficult path or stay on the one your on. It was a bit weird at first cause even if you fail the mission you still get to play, and as far as I know I don't think you can actually stop playing until you've played all the levels.

So for example, the mission on the first guy is always to win a round. 0/1. If you win both rounds you'll have completed 2/1 required. Even if you don't win any rounds, or if you win them both or only 1, after 2 rounds you'll get a choice to continue on the same path or go to a more difficult level. This continues until you've played like 8 levels I think it is. It's cool you get to keep playing even if you lose both rounds against a computer player or fail to complete the mission.

That's about it. I played as wolf the most tonight hence the most info about him. I also got him up to 7th dan so I'm happy. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be happy to answer any questions if possible but that's about it. I wonder when an official move list is gonna come out... anyways rock on everyone, I'll see ya

2. TexasLion

TexasLion Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JunoSynth
    Wow awesome. I can't wait to see Wolf do HHH Pedigree! Anything on Lion and his changes? How big of a jump from Evo does the game feel and look? Is it similar to the jump from VF4 to Evo?

3. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

Awesome report Namflow!

BTW, there is new music, right? How does it compare to ver C and evo music?

4. UnholyMessiah

UnholyMessiah Member

Thanks for the info, FT sounds awsome. See anyone trying out Goh's new moves? I'd like to find out how much the changes made to him help him out.

5. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Re: FT: Hands On Report part 2

I guess I'll add my 2 cents to the mix.

Stages:
    Lion: night time. Looks like it's snowing more than before. Seems like snow on the ring gets moved around more too.
    Jacky: Day time. Two helicopters flying around.
    Lei Fei: don't remember much. I think it was early evening. A bright orange
    sun is setting above/behind one of the temples.

Akira: Day time in winter. Snow all over outside of the dojo. It's possible to see characters breath. Ring barriers are a little different.
    Sarah: Day time. I don't even think I saw this stage.
    Aoi: same as above. but i think it's in the evening like lei fei's

Jeffry: Night time. looks the same 'cept night time. /versus/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Kage: really nice. green leaves in the ring and lots of green (trees and such) around. summer time i assume.
    Lau: Day time. blue skies but with some clouds. Still raining.

Dural: different colors of the lights in the bg. yellow/orange instead of blue.
    Shun: Don't remember
    Wolf: Seems like there's more light in the ring. there are signs on the fence that say "danger" or some such. The texture in the middle of the ring is now the Final Tuned Logo.

Pai: Aquarium is still on two of the adjacent walls. The opposite side is all construction related items. The walls of the ring are now construction scaffolding instead of whatever it was.
    Vanessa: Day time. didn't really notice much else.
    AFAIK, there are no Goh or Brad stages. Hopefully there will be.

Chars:

Brad: (i haven't played him yet)
    Lots of new stuff from sway. Sway back into that move that was shown on sega's site. pppkk or whatever. looks like the timing is little hard.
    sway back seems to be a little more effective. seems like it's easier to dodge elbows. could be my imagination.
    New ducking hooks to the gut. kinda looks like sway forward + p in evo. he can do more than one. Can sway hook smash after any shot. On MC, hook smash seems to be guaranteed.
    Also has low hook to the legs and ppp kk that looks like three high punches (same as evo) followed by a hop with two quick knees (both done in the air).

Vanessa:
    didn't see much. new throw, plus new mount arm breaker thing.

Shun:
    nothing yet. nobody played him.

Aoi:
    couple of new ppp style moves. some of them look like she's zig zagging around the ring.

Goh:
    Didnt' seem impressed by him. [P][K] finally. also has a side kneeling straight punch to the gut. Either has a new throw or a throw that was redone. Looks like it could be a multipart throw but I wouldn't know.

Sarah:

Couple of new moves that lead into flamingo. She can cancel that flamingo middle round house kick back into flamingo.
    New Flamingo shuffle step has a lot of options. She shuffle steps in place then can do:
    new 3 kick combo. 3rd kick (boot to the nuts) crumples on MC.
    new quick low sweep
    flamingo middle round house (i think, but i may be wrong on that)
    nothing (leave flamingo)
    She may be able to shuffle then go back into flamingo without doing anything, but I'll have to check on that. I'm sure there's some other stuff too.

Wolf:
    New shining wizard animation. he kicks you with his shin now. I've been told that there are two shining wizards now. I only saw one. I assume the other would be the original one.
    Couple of other moves that i don't remember. refer to namflow's post.

Lau:
    Didn't see anything new, however only one or two people played him.

Jeffry:
    I saw nothing more than what was discussed in newest Arcadia.

Pai:
    See Jeffry

Jacky:
    See Pai

Lion:
    A few new peck moves. One looks like's it's just K,P. high kick followed by a really fast peck to the eye. Seems that he can do a shuffle step after K. The only move I saw was K, shuffle-> turn around with elbow. New (changed?) throw where he grabs you and pushes your arm upward then pushes you on your ass. It's like the first half one of the Evo throws, 'cept you fall on your ass and have to struggle.

Lei Fei:
    Looks like there's more ways to go into various stances. Didn't see much.

Kage:
    New uppercut combo timing is harsh. No one could do it. Animation is a little different. New chop move [3]+[P]+[K]. Jumonji hit throw (sweep leg then throw). Seems you turn around from backturned and go into jumonji. I couldn't figure it out. TFT changed as you may know. [4]+[P]+[G] just flips the opponent on their back.

2nd change move:
    [4][6]+[K] has changed from the kick into a knee that looks exactly like jumonji knee.

Akira:
    New move [3][3]+[P]+[K]. Kinda goofy looking double arm swinging move. Looks really similiar to Lin Xiaoyu's flailing arm move. Akira ends in crouching position. On MC, opponent floats, but doesn't seem to be enough time to do anything after. Perhaps there's a second part.
    [6][6]+[P]+[K][P] timing is like sgpm->elbow. First part seems to come out fast. Probably throw counterable. 2nd part can only be done if 1st part touches opponent. 2nd part doesn't seem to be throw counterable. Apparently the 1st part dodges high attacks.
    [6]+[P] has new animation. Looks very similar to second P of [P][P].

2nd change move
    VF4 knee was brought back.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing stuff. It's almost 3am so I wouldn't doubt it. Haven't seen the opening intro, but there's new music for the opening and the character select screen. Don't know if any of the stage music changed. I'll have to listen closely next time. Hardly saw any of the Challenge mode. I doubt I'll see it anytime soon. However, you do get to pick if you want to do challenge mode or normal mode if you win a VS match... assuming no one challenges you.

I was able to get one new FT card. The arcade still had the Evo cards in the machine so one of the guys asked we could get one. It was nice of them to help out. After that, the clerk put a sign on the card machine saying that there are old cards in there in addition to the FT ones.

That's it for now.

6. Brisal73

Brisal73 Well-Known Member

2 Shiny Wizards? /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif:):) whoohoooo

come on AI

7. EmX

EmX Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Namflow said:
    - b+k is a new move that's a faster side kick. It's linear and doesn't knock down, but comes out must faster than his d/f+k and will stagger a ducking opponet. Also seems to lunge forward a bit. I don't believe it's throw counterable

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was just thinking this morning that he needed something like that. Good command for doing off a backdash, too.

8. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE

[ QUOTE ]
    vf4akira said:
    Akira:

VF4 knee was brought back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bummer. Liked the Evo Knee. I'm guessing FT Knee changes stance.

Try out a back turned SPoD /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif See if it works.

9. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the nice report.

Does the overall game seem faster as others have said?

10. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623

Plague, the Evo knee is still there, but it's now "changeable" back to the old VF4 knee.

Namflow, I've heard that Wolf can now choose the followup to the low punch cut -- and either do a Shining Wizard or a Switch (i.e. it's not longer dependent on which hand you're 'cutting'). Can you confirm?

11. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

good info all, keep up the good works /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. MadAoi

MadAoi Member

Nice reports!

The game seem to have changed quite a bit, are the changes from EVO to FT as large as the changes from Ver. C to EVO?

13. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Well, i'm about to head back to the arcade. The Sega I was playing at is nice since it's Y30/play until the 18th or so. /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I noticed that the stage music is the same as Evo. I'm sure that's bound to disappoint some people, but of the few stages I was able to hear the music, it's the same. I haven't confirmed all stages but it looks that way.

Hopefully I'll have a lot more info after the marathon tonight.

14. makeinu

makeinu Member

hi, im new to the site and pretty new to virtua fighter aswell. anyway i played ft for a while today. im an akira guy so all i can tell you is the following.....
    [3][3]+[P][K] floats on a crouching opponent. major counter or not. plus you get a free pyakko on all but the heavies.
    new pk string is far better than before, the recovery is sick. great for punching out then sidesteping. also floats on mc. standard kick is also changed to the new animation. i think it looks awesome. everyone to there own i guess. /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    didnt notice the pyakko being anymore counterable than before but the youhou seems a touch slower.??
    [2][1][4]+[P]+[K] is slow slow slow ! however sets up nice harakuzere combos.
    one more thing i also use goh and thanks to his new moves i rose from 4dan to 10dan in 2 hours today. gohs new moves are devastating! particularly his [6][6]+[K] its completly invinsible to counter and if it hits you get a harakuzure.!! hes got a mad 3 hit gut punch combo too, which is strong and dishes out shedloads of mental damage...

15. Namflow

Namflow Well-Known Member

I went back to the aarcade again today and spent way too much money while ditching my friends at the same time - all for you guys!

Wolf:
    - Can hit the stunner on an opponet's back - OUCH
    - Sorry Myke, I dunno the commands for a possible switch around after the low punch reversal and I haven't seen it so no confirmation as of yet
    - Confirmed wolf's new b,d/f+p attack is a hit throw - I got hit by it a couple of times /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    - His hcb+p+k seems really slow, but I guess I'm used to Shun's b+p when I think of a chop used to stop dodging. Even so I think wolf has better options than this move even though it looks cool
    - Wolf's change moves are his knee and his f+p+k, which was changed from the kind of shove to a jumping chop that leaves the opponet ducking on hit, kinda like d/f+p but I believe this is high.

Jeffry:
    - New throw from threat stance is INSANE - he grabs you and MAULS you (not like ryan hart IMF maulage, but like rabid animal on raw meat maulage) - he beats the living shit outta you and it drains a TON!!!

Pai:
    - New camera view on her 270 that makes it look cooler
    - She has a weird new combo with like two hopping kicks, I think the first one leaves you back turned
    - She has a running/jumping/sliding version of d/f+p with mad distance
    - Swallow kicks still own me /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Shun:
    I spent a lot more time playing him tonight so I have a bit more to say:
    - The best way I've found to drink after a round is to end it with a sidekick which will leave the opponet standing, then p+k+g and then f+p+k
    - f+p+k+g,p,f+p is the combo for the three punches after his new drink. If the first one hits the second two are guaranteed if you input the right timing (and you only need to enter f+p to get the last two punches). They'll knock down and leave you with great advantage to pressure your opponet. You only get one drink from this (for the f+p+k+g), you don't get any extra drinks for the punches.
    - f+p+k+g kinda steps forward when he drinks, but also dodges high attacks. I'm not quite sure when you'd want to use p+k+g over f+p+k+g cause f+p+k+g has the punches to follow up and dodges high attacks. Perhaps it has longer recovery time if you don't add in the punches.
    - f+p+k+g adds the drink very early on in the animation whereas p+k+g adds the drink towards the end of the animation
    - f,f+p+k headbutt has been buffed - it no longer drains a drink.. LET THE ABUSE AGAIN!!!
    - b,f+p+g still drains 3 drinks. /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    - Shun's changable moves are f+p and b+p. I'm going to change f+p for the next time I go to the arcade but I ain't touching b+p - it's too great as it is!
    - Chowan seems to have a wee bit more recovery time, but nothing all that bad at all
    - Besides the new F+k,p and the changes to his drinks and the new f+p+k+g and b,f+p+k I dunno what else they've added, changed to shun.

Jacky:
    - New hit throw from shuffle stance where he kicks you and kinda kick-flips off of you.

More random stuff:

- The character select screen seems a lot cooler now, like more high tech and flashy. Also, all of the stats like from vfnet on display look a lot nicer/cleaner too

- After a couple games you get an icon in your corner that describes what kind of player you are. For example, my wolf is a level 1 fist icon and my shun is a level 1 shield icon. I've seen fists, shield, fists and shield, throwing, a bull or cheeta or something, and a chicken. Like after winning a match it'll be like "level 1 fist icon!" and then you'll get that. I know you earn more than one icon so I'm not sure how it decides which one to display, or if you can choose somehow.

- For the new counter system I've noticed a few things. Like p and d+p seemed to have been buffed cause sometimes I'd get caught by something like akira's low back first but it won't crumple me as it would have in evo because I was doing a p. Also, if you get caught by some of the bigger moves as a major counter there is definitely more impact, like you can tell you just got owned hard.

- Challenge move is fun, I've played it a bit on the one player machine when all the other machines are occupied and I've wound up unlocking one of what appears to be four golden coins with my wolf. I dunno what they are good for but maybe I'll get something awesome if I unlock them all.

Anyways that's about it. For those of you who can read japanese and are looking on the VF BBSes any chance you could post some of the new moves? I'd love to try them out for you and check and see what works and what doesn't, especially if I haven't mentioned anything about your character, but seeing as I really only play wolf and shun now I wouldn't be able to tell you what's what without some guidance.

Anyways that's about it guys, rock on

16. Tsobanian

Tsobanian Well-Known Member

New intro/s??? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. cheeseball

cheeseball Member

What is the break for Jeffry's threat stance throw? Since he only has one throw from it wouldn't it be VERY easy to see and break like 100% of the time? Does anyone have a clip of the throw. I'd love to see it!

18. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

movies movies movies!!! /versus/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    Anything else change with the chowan..I don't see why that move needed more recovery time.

19. FatalRose

FatalRose Well-Known Member

Jacky:
    - New hit throw from shuffle stance where he kicks you and kinda kick-flips off of you.

Simular to Lee's mist trap throw?

20. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anything else change with the chowan..I don't see why that move needed more recovery time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the best launcher in the game does that to you.

/KiwE