1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

FUCK SEGA ENT. HORRIBLE NEWS!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by akiralove, Oct 25, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Almaci I read a lot of those same articles, and while many of the allegations seem to have substance, I have a hard time imagining little details like why SOJ would want SOA to have majorly fukked up button set ups on their VF machines that went against the rest of the world.

SOJ may rule SOA on the console side, maybe, but again, I have a hard time believing SOA's arcade woes are SOJ's responsibility.

Also, as for VF.net, I think a big indication of where things stand is VF4 in Korea...no VF.net. Korea has traditionally been a good market for Sega, and if Korea doesn't get VF.net, I don't see how other countries could.

2. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Wow , didnt know about Korea .

3. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

Why do you care about Japan?

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

What does that say about the gap between the level of play everywhere else and the US when it finally comes out?

<hr></blockquote>

Well, seeing as the chances of any of us (North Americans) competing in a tournament agaisnt Japanese players, etc is..umm...ZERO. Why do you care if they're 'ahead' ?? Really, does it matter that much to you as long as you're having a blast with the competition available.

cheers,

<font color=white>Llanfair</font color=white>
    [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://virtuaproject.com>virtuaproject</A>

4. Crew Wolf

Crew Wolf Active Member

Re: Why do you care about Japan?

Sure, playing against the locals, and your fellow countrymen in general, is great, and what we live for. But there's a certain sense of pride, at least speaking for myself, that makes me want to fight internationally. It let's you team up with the people you've been battling day in and day out. It let's you cheer for someone that's damn good, and has so many things in common with you. It's being part of something so huge, something that brings people from several nations, all corners of the globe, together to do something that they all love to do.

Ok, yeah, a little too dramatic, huh? But I say what I feel. I don't understand Sega's thinking, but I would like to. Most often, issues can be resolved by striking at the heart of its evil.

On one note, I do understand Sega's VF.net issue. Sure, it'd be cool to have your stats up. But, because this is still somewhat experimental (there's a CART racer unit out here with the card slot also), I understand their hesitancy in spending the extra cash. But not releasing the game, obviously, makes no sense at all to me.

What gets me, is this: Who goes into video games to make money? Seriously? We all play because we love to. Anyone on this forum involved in the production/marketing (possibly distribution), I highly doubt they are in it for the money. So, since it's unbelieveable to assume that it's just impossible to release the game abroad...why not release the game abroad? Doesn't VF's bad light come from earlier episodes, earlier events? Does Sega hope that everyone will 'forget' any dislikes towards those blue & white letters if they just sit by the bar while everyone dances with Namco and Konami? Sega has divorced itself (for the most part) from hardware, and is a newly found swingin' bachleor, with a lot to offer! WTF? Why not go out and talk to the ladies? They sure as hell won't come to you when they have other parties shakin' their thang.

I'm sorry. I haven't slept for sixteen days...
    Ok. I'm done...

Ultimately, we're all dead men, sadly we cannot choose how, BUT we can decide how we meet that end in order that we are remembered as men.

5. adamYUKI

adamYUKI Well-Known Member

PSN:
    adamYUKI
    XBL:
    adamYUKI

Why do you care if they're 'ahead' ?? Really, does it matter that much to you as long as you're having a blast with the competition available.

True, but some people want to be the best possible players they can be - that pursuit itself is fun for some people! Playing people in asia is an "enlightening" experience if anything. They spend most of their free time playing and many as a result become fierce competitors. Going over there and playing against them is not only a humbling experience, but also an opportunity to learn tons o' shit that you would not have learned elsewhere. Their gaming culture fosters this...

[​IMG]

6. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

Both views are valid. I believe it depends on your perspective. Some even like a bit of both. I play for fun but also for the thrill of competition and the chance to dominate.

Adio.

7. Llanfair

True, but some people want to be the best possible players they can be

<hr></blockquote>

That's cool - but you're not being hindered in achieving your goal by having Japan be 3-4 months ahead in VF4 time. If anything, being behind a bit is *better* - in the off chance that you end up playing in Asia, you'll be playing against people who have been playing longer and you'll probably pick up more and learn more and improve faster than if you were at par to begin with. Don't you think?

At this point in the game - 3 months into the release of VF4 - it's moot that they have it and you don't.

cheers,

[​IMG]

8. Llanfair

What gets me, is this: Who goes into video games to make money? Seriously? We all play because we love to. Anyone on this forum involved in the production/marketing (possibly distribution), I highly doubt they are in it for the money.

<hr></blockquote>

Ok..uh, please say that I'm misinterpreting you here - because it seems as though you're saying that the production/marketing guys are not in it for the money?? Who goes into games to make money? Um..why do you think Microsoft made the Xbox...because they want a piece of a multi-billion dollar industry that's predicted to keep growing. That's the bottom line, cash. Sega of America doesn't give a rat's ass for the player - it's concerned about one thing: money. Getting the books out of the red.

The canadian sega distributor here in Toronto, for the first time has listened to us about tournaments and hyping VF4 to create a really strong scene. As exciting as this is, they will not cooperate with tournament organization unless it's proven to be a money making venture for them. Bottom line.

And, hey, I'm all for international competitions too...that would rule. But so would winning the lottery - and I can assure you that there's a higher chance of winning the lottery that North Americans and UKers and Japanese VF players coming together in an international VF competition.

cheers,

[​IMG]

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

anything, being behind a bit is *better* - in the off chance that you end up playing in Asia, you'll be playing against people who have been playing longer and you'll probably pick up more and learn more and improve faster than if you were at par to begin with. Don't you think?

True, but I would rather be the leader than the follower!

10. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

True, but I would rather be the leader than the follower!

<hr></blockquote>

Knowing Llany, he agrees with you ICE. It's definitely leader before follower. However, I think that comment was intended to make the rest of NA feel better about not having any verB VF4s yet.

cheers,
    kbcat