1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Fundamental Brad Questions

Discussion in 'Brad' started by ArcliteCannon, Nov 6, 2007.

1. ArcliteCannon

ArcliteCannon New Member

I just picked up Brad and I have a question about his slipping and ducking options. Aren't all of his options out of slipping and ducking high/mid, and hence really easy to block for opponenent? I understand he has a couple lows out of his long stances but I usually get bull rushed before I get there and I'm extremely predictable out of slipping and ducking. Can these stances be canceled into throws?

I'm also curious as to what to use as a punisher. Lately I've been using /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif as this seems to catch crouch jabbers (which people seem to inevitably do after a blocked combo). Is there a better move I can use instead, since I eat -18 on guard. Basically I just need two moves, one to punish blocked pressure strings, and another more damaging one to punish whiffed moves.

Thanks for the help.

2. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif[+]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif from Long Ducking breaks an opponent's guard. But more powerful is to use throws out of slips and ducking. Be sure to /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif cancel the buffer when you're in a ducking or slip and perform the throw.

3. MCSquared

MCSquared Active Member

I believe any throw out of ducking is a zero frame throw if the proximity is correct. Also, Ducking > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/g.gif is a decent mid that come out relatively quickly, and is a half circle attack. Even on block it spaces you enough to avoid a throw (verification?).

4. thebradSHow

thebradSHow Well-Known Member

you have made me sad with your posts, I'm gonna start posting again, but for the love of God, don't assume you know it all from having played the game for a second, you are thinking way to Tekken about it...

that being said, welcome to the forum, out of ducking, if people are blocking your options, you have many options to get hits in, you can go to sway left K which leaves you at +4 (hence any elbow plus class attack will beat their low P, and any elbow will beat any P in the game, no matter how fast), you can throw (yes it is a 0 frame throw), you can do the first P of the single ducking P,P string, it only leaves you at -3 and can be delay followed up with the second P which on CH will launch, or you can turn that into a P,P or P, throw situation, you can double duck P+K for guard break, you can phase shift 2P, and there are situational uses for everything out of ducking, double ducking, slipping, and phase shift so mess around with em (and see old posts on Brad for more understanding)...

as a punisher, it all has to do with what kind of punishment situation we are talking about, if you are taking turns with your opponent (he attacks, you block, you attack, he blocks), then you just have to know frames to play that situation correctly, but if you are talking situationally, if something is P counterable, you can do P,K, which will leave you at +2 and in a good situation, you can do (more tricky so bear with me), you can do P,P,K which the 2Ps are guaranteed, but once you do the P,P,K and they get hit by the low, you can do, P,P ducking mixup for relatively free EVEN IF it's not a guaranteed mixup frame wise, you can also do P,P,P,K or P,P,P wait and throw (since the K is delayable), in elbow punishable situations, you can do 6P,K which is indeed guaranteed but is only recommended IMO when their back is to a wall, or when the move they did is also a crouching move, you can also get 6P+K which is a combo starter and will get you more damage in the end than 6P,K, and make sure every so often you punish P class counters with throws to keep them defensively on their toes (since you said that being predictable was a problem you were having)... good luck with the game man...

also, MCSquared, K+G from ducking is punishable at any range except max range, so be wary, it doesn't have to just be the throw situation, that is a P counterable situation, so be careful...

5. DancingFighterG

DancingFighterG Well-Known Member

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. Welcome to the forums ArcliteCannon!! To add you can also cancel the sway or ducking and go for low options as part of another mixup i.e 2K+G, 1P, 2K, 1KK. All these options are just mixup because even on hit your are disadvantage so mixup. 0 frame throws will be your friend a lot. Since Brad's throw games does not take the damage like everyone else you actually can throw more because people don't fear it. Mix that with the 0 frame throws and Brad is a bad boy. Also, out of ducking use his delay punches. You will catch a lot of people on CH with this ducking->P-> or ducking /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif

Just like the bradshow said ducking K+G is unsafe on block but if used a max range your a good. You will surprise how many people want to sidestep from afar and get hit. Use it but don't abuse it.

6PK is a good move since you can hit detect the first hit. Unsafe on block on you look wrong and both moves are blocked.

Other things:

Play with his SL_SR options. All of them are safe on block and if they hit lead to major punishment.

KNOW HOW TO GET IN HIS STANCE FROM EVERY MOVE - important because it opens up your offense.

SL K is your friend!! Use it to gain advantage but use SR K to punish fast retaliation.

Play with that for now because you will have move questions later.

6. ArcliteCannon

ArcliteCannon New Member

Thanks for the help and welcome guys. Can you explain the guard cancel on the throw? I swear I've been ducking all night trying to hit guard at all sorts of times and I can't throw for the life of me. I don't understand how the buffer works, as when I'm just standing, hit guard, then hit the punch button to throw, i just block. So what precisely do you mean by guard cancel the throw? Do I hold the guard button throughout the ducking animation, won't I just wind up guarding then when I finally hit the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif button?

I'm also still having trouble with people who whore low jab, particularly with eileen. What should I throw out if I am certain the next move is going to be a low jab to counter it?

Also does anyone have any tips on when to throw out ducking? What I mean is should I throw out ducking if my opponent blocks my string or only if I connect? Examples would be:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gifDucking
    as opposed to just finishing with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif and going for /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif throw mix-up

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    am I better doing ducking then finishing with a kick?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif
    likewise?

Any other moves I'm forgetting that are prime for ducking set-ups? Thanks again for the help

7. Steam

Steam Active Member

I believe you have to let go of guard then press them both to get the grab.

I too am having a bit of trouble with when to duck, I tend to do alot more SL and PT.

8. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. To do the 0 frame throw (a throw that does not show the start throwing animation and is very hard to break) your do either ducking, sway or PT and and right when you go into it you push guard then throw. So pretty much it looks like this:

Ducking->immediatly push guard->then push throw (whater you want). It's easier to get it if you do some move that goes into ducking then do the following. You know that you did it right because you won't see your hands extend.

As for low jabs you either have to anticipate the low punch to evade for space out. Despite what people think Brad does not have the best tools up close so space your with crouch dashing, backdash or sway back to get around it. Also know that PT can avoid 2P which leads to mixup after the PT. You must PT to the hand that does the punch. You can do this for example after 6P. Try it out!!

9. KoD

KoD Well-Known Member

PSN:
    codiak
    Ok . . . so throws from stance are 0 frame, which are good in some ways because they're harder to throw escape.

Doesn't this also mean that Brad's opponent can use as big and slow an attack as they want to beat the 0 frame throw, without causing throw clash?

10. tonyfamilia

tonyfamilia Well-Known Member

Yes BUT they have to commit to such a move in expectance of Brad going for a 0frame throw BUT if Brad does not G-cancel his moves from ducking then they are going to eat a counter.
    So just like with most setups, it's a guessing game.

11. DancingFighterG

Yo, this is DancingFighterG. TonyFamilia hit it right on the head.