1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

FV 2 totally rocks......

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by nascarbryant, Jan 19, 2001.

1. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Well, I only wanted to say my opinion......I have recived the game today.......and I find it fantastic(never played the model 3 version......I've only got pictures of it)
    The Grapics are Fantastic...what a waste of poligons on the fighters armors.........and some stages just look awesome....others are a bit ugly( low poigon number ugly textures).........the game doesn't suffer of to much blurring like VF3tbDC did.....(tecnicaly the game could be better as DA2 or SC ,....but I think you can't compare gameengines that are so diffrent......SC Very texturebased VF2-paradigma)
    Gameplay: not to much changes from FV1......super KO's are quite cool,taunts,....3D movment only near the cage (b,b+K+G).........
    Game Modes: Well the Practicemode is a lot worse as the FV1/FMM Practicemode....it's almost like VF3 DC...
    No footage of very good FV-players(like in the Saturn FV1 CD)
    You can't save your fights (replays) on VMS like in Saturn FV1.....

Probably there are some secrets to discover......wait and see....

I think now that I've got FV2 and VF3tb(Akira learning...SPod,DLC are really quite easy to preform after a little intensive practice...)...the time will pass very fast.......till VFX

2. nxw0016

nxw0016 Well-Known Member

Lucky you being able to get an Japanese version to play!
    When will US version of FV2 coming out on DC? wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. nascarbryant

nascarbryant Well-Known Member

Update:
    Well three hidden characters like the model 3 version....

look at the faq on fightingvipers.net ,there you will find a good explanation about the new counter and 3D movment feature........it's all integreated in on step you preform back+P+K+G(or down+P+K+G) and if it conects you can choose immidiately Punch,kick or 3D step(followed by a sidethrow..Pickys is like Sarahs..but graces is totally new)

mahler has become an interesting throw character.....
    Emi is also quite cool........imagine a cross between shun and Eddy Gordo(tekken).....her teddy is like a jetpack and has also got an integreated laser(very short range)

There aren't many moves that are shared or borowed from VF .......this is katoka-san's baby .......not Yu suzuki-san's..........two competitors in the AM2 team?..........it's no VF but this game has got his own qualitys and diserves a good look...........maybe more then DA2 or SC because this game is in some ways different....

4. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Secrets

AM2's official FV2 page has a "secret" section that is going to open on the 26th... what's in there?Downloads? Info? We'll just have to see... I've heard something about a DC Original Honey... hirm.
    I'm also writing up some more stuff about the game, it should be up by the end of this week.
    And, I'm also thinking about pointing out all the faults in IGN's FV2 review... heh heh heh.

www.fightingvipers.net

5. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Re: Game Reviews and Movies

Speaking about faults in game reviews (yes it's obvious that the IGN reviewer didn't have a clue), what's really getting my goat these days are the movies many of the popular gaming sites are offering to the public.

Another site, Daily Radar (http://www.dailyradar.com published a small feature of the game (with faults of course) along with some movies. When I viewed some of the movies I saw two scrubs playing. I say scrubs and not beginners because the display was rather pathetic which was reflective of ignorant minds rather than enquiring ones. I would imagine that a reputable gaming site was good enough to employ people who knew their shit. People who could walk the walk, and not just talk the talk; e.g. while player 1 was knocked down, player 2 was just mashing K, K, K. Like, why? Swatting flies with their feet?

When they just don't care for the presentation of the game at all, when the movie is made for the sake of making a movie, the end result is rather sad, and kind of upsetting to think of the damage it does to a game's rep. Do you get a good idea of how the game looks? Sure. But do you get a good idea of how the game is to be played? Can be played? Not likely.

Imagine seeing VF3 for the first time where both opponents were just mashing PPP or KKK. How excited/impressed would you have been?

I used to work for a playstation gaming magazine, and with every review I wrote, I had to be super explicit about the screenshots and the accompanying words I wanted. If not, then they'd just get any idiot to grab whatever screen they wanted with words totally irrelevant to what was actually being portrayed, and totally useless to the review as a whole, making the reivew look ugly, and even worse, it made the reviewer (which is the only name tied to the review) look stupid. If I had written a review of FV2 which was accompanied by the same movies as seen on Daily Radar's site, then I'd be embarrassed.

Poor video representation of games is evident in almost every genre too. I've seen countless driving game movies where the driver couldn't handle corners. Movies of action-adventures where the main character looks like he's being controlled by a retard (IGNs movies of PSO, DailyRadar's movies of Onimusha, are two examples). And of course the random attack/mash fest seen in just about every fighting game. Bloody hell! Arrgh, I think I popped something.

__
    m y k e
    how ya gonna win when ya ain't right within?

6. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver Well-Known Member

I picked the game up yesterday, and have played a bit, albeit mostly against the computer (people in general seem to have an instantaneous repulsive reaction to the game, so no human competition yet); some early impressions based on this very limited experience:

I don't like the character designs at all (the majority of them, anyway), but I don't let it be a factor in my judgement of gameplay, obviously. I mostly pick Bahn, he has a (simplified command) bodycheck, a really really slow dashing elbow and a few other move similarities to Akira... at least visually, because the move properties are completely, totally different

The float system could be somewhat interesting, but my preliminary impression is that the physics are a bit odd - whereas in VF there are many different float positions that dynamically and directly influence combo options, FV tends to constantly lean towards that ugly Tekken-ish feet-towards, face-up, arms flailing down style of float. Of course, comparing the two games is probably a moot point, but it's merely illustrative of an impression. There's also the odd "teching" system for getting out of floats, that doesn't seem to have been improved over the original at all.

The new counter system seemed a bit icky to me, but again, can't say for certain without spending a bit more time with the game. I'm never too keen on the idea of universal counters...

A couple of arenas are interesting, visually, but I had somewhat expected them to go beyond the original paradigm of four walls and no terrain undulation... having never had any contact with the arcade version of the game; some are nearly an eyesore (i.e. the arena with fires glowing in the BG), but I suppose that's partially due to the conversion. The character models are solid, and I particularly like the separate geometry for the separate armor parts, instead of sloppy texturing. I'm just getting used to the system of armor breaks and such, but it doesn't seem too terribly exciting.

However, it's a different game and it's likely some interesting techniques could be found - though I doubt I can convince anyone else here to play it to any great length.

Well, here goes nothing... :)

cheers
    M.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Game Reviews and Movies

Yes, I sent them a mail, how can somone tell such crap about such a good game.yesterday I had a cool session with my VF-friend. He was also very impressed about this game..

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Re: Secrets

I saw a picture were Honey had clothes like in fighters megamix I think.....how can I get the 3 hidden characters!!!!!!!!!!

9. Zero-chan

FV2 Secrets REVEALED!

Finally got the secrets section up and running at my site. There's probably more easter eggs yet to be found, if anyone finds some, please tell me ^_^
    More to come soon, as always... I wonder why nobody's begun writing a FAQ for the game yet? I would do it except it's a massive undertaking for only one person...

- Zero-chan
    http://www.fightingvipers.net

10. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

FV Media

So when do we get to see good players battling it out?
    I can assume KBCat has a copy of FV2 for his DC and I
    know he has a sweet media set up! Where are all
    the <font color=green>King Boss Cat Productions</font color=green>?

GE

11. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Re: FV Media

I could capture some rounds of Llany and I fighting. I didn't think anyone was interested.

cheers!
    kbcat

12. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

dammit KB, you know I'm interested/images/icons/smile.gif

Or did you forget that everytime we met up we had talks of Fighting Vipers?

-Chanchai

13. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

I think that even if we weren't in a complete
    VF desert right now there would be folks that
    would be interested. There's absolutely no
    good movie content out there. fill the void!

I think there's some space on VF.com's server yet
    and if not we can probably work something out.
    Give me a shout when you get some fights up and
    running!

GE

14. kbcat

kbcat Well-Known Member

Will do!... I'll see if O is up for some FV2ing this weekend

cheers,
    kbcat

15. Zero-chan

Yeah, get some vids up! I want to see how the newbies compare to someone who's been playing religiously for the past 6 months. ^_^

BTW, I'm likely to be at E3 this year, in case anyone else here is going wants to volunteer to be punching bag.

16. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Re: Secrets

Zero-Chan, while you're at it, also do a commentary on Segaweb's review also/images/icons/tongue.gif

Anyways... Still waiting for my copy of the game... I'm assuming you can still air-recover, jump off the walls to avoid some things, right? (If your opponent is trying to nail you against the wall and float you to death, which I never thought was an issue in the first one) Etc..etc..etc.. (since the general reviewers seem to be saying that the game is no hope in being relieved of air-juggles). Maybe it's me, but I like FV series' "flowchart" kind of gameplay.

Can't wait to see what KBCat and Llanfair conjure up!

Zero-chan again, I greatly appreciate your online contribution to the game! Nice site/images/icons/smile.gif

-Chanchai