1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

G/F's and VF: do they Mix?

Discussion in 'General' started by Blondie, May 1, 2002.

1. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Well my last girlfriend basically "HATED" that I played Videogames, so it goes without question she hated VF too. I can't for the life of me find "Attractive" girls that actually see more to videogames than just a waste of time. Oh, and if anybody on here knows any send them my way. LOL. I'm moving to Japan where I invision incredibly HOT asian girls standing around VF machines with a complete understanding of the game and what the hell kind of skill it takes to play at high level. Not to mention appreciate it. Any views on this topic? Maybe you guys can give me some pointers as to keep a relationship going strong with videogames in the mix. I just can't seem to get it. later.

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Dude, there are a lot more girls in Japan who play VF... but your fantasy of hordes of cute Japanese idol girls just standing around VF understanding EVERYTHING about it, and fawning over guys who are high-level players, is just plain silly.
    An average Japanese girl you see walking in the street might remember the VF2 craze from a few years back, and maybe that VF4 just got a PS2 release kinda recently, but that's about it.

3. Blondie

I understand its silly but a vision non the less. Please don't ruin it for me /versus/images/icons/wink.gif. Thanks for the response.

4. plan17

plan17 Active Member

Not that i know of.

i brought my japanese friend with me to play today (it was kinda like a joke) and she didn't have the first clue what VF was... it didn't help that i got careless trying to show off Sarah's wide range of moves and got scrubbed by Jeff....

5. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

"Dream on, dude!"

6. Mike90210

Mike90210 Well-Known Member

Man I could only dream. My gf and her brother use to play VF2 religiously(she had a mean Sarah). Now shes a nursing student so she says she doenst have time. Shes ususally understanding about playing games but sometimes she gets on me for overdoing it.

7. Blondie

Mine was the same way, I'd have a day off and so I'd spend a little time playing some games. Now when I say a little usually for a gamer that can only play once or twice a week I mean 4-5 hours on my day off. This consisted of TTT and a trip to Rockies(local arcade) on the weekend. Of course I spent lots of time with her still on the weekend. But I guess it just wasn't enough. Of all the things she left me for, Videogames was one of the main reasons. "I scratch my head" =/. "IT was the DEVIL" lol.

8. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

If they were into it, they probally "kept up with the Joneses" so to speak....but I doubt that being a VF god in any culture gains you sex-symbol status :p

9. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

You've Got to Face The Facts...

<font color=yellow>Hey, you've got to face the facts. Video games will always cater mostly to the male populous and girls generally aren't included in the marketing scheme. DDR and Bust a Groove and Pac Man are the types of games that attract the ladies, if any. If you want to get hottie's attention in an arcade, bust your moves on DDR and maybe she'll be impressed. When you bring violence into a game, e.g VF, you're going to lose her attention quicker than a New York minute.

I have a wife and the only games she's remotely interested in playing with me are the dance games. Most of the time when I game, I'm by myself or with my video game buddies: all guys, no chicks. That's the way it is in this world for now. And it probably won't change any time soon just for you...</font color=yellow>

10. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Re: You've Got to Face The Facts...

Hahahaha, funny thread

11. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I think the key ingredient that's missing is the 'social' aspect.

I'm luckier in a sense that, many girls I know play games. Some are real crazy Star craft, CS, D2 players too.

Some are reallly...I MEAN REALLY into driving games like GT3, Initial D, Shutoku battle series...Space channel 5 part 1 n 2 is a fav among us

Jessica is a big VOOT maniac, the only person to spend days on persuading me to buy the VOOT sticks (no myke..it's not longer gathering dusk)

But do they sometimes complain abt their BFs spending too much time on games?

Yup.

Personally, I feel they are complaining for the right reasons too. Sometimes when I meet my buddies for dinner, it becomes pointless to have dinner together when they go on n on n on n on abt games.

Sure, I'm a hardcore gamer myself...but I'm sure there's a time for games n time for something else. Last thing I wanna talk abt over dinner is games...so imagine the poor girls tagging along with us to dinner...then just sit there n listen to
    " hey I found out u can do this with Kyo" or " hey, U can do Fujin after SPOD" or "my god..I lost my character on hardcore" or " fucking ran into that machi loser todae" or " elbow -14, knee +5, shoulder ram +4, beatknuckle->evade to the back, 10 frames for TTE"

U all should get the picture. I'm a hardcore gamer n I try my damn best to avoid this kind of dinner myself. (usually, if this happens during dinner, spilling water on my buddy's lap is a good way to change topic)

Other complaints range from ' u spend too much time playing games with ur friends' to ' com on, let's do something else instead of gaming 24-7' etc etc

The way I see it, sometimes guys should just take a break from games n spend a day or two with their girls...

The way me n my friends overcome 'gaming night' problems was simply to ask the girls to tag along as well. For us, gaming is a very 'social' thingy.

So on the one side of the house, it'll be the PS2 or the DC set up...right behind us are the Mahjong games going on(usually, by the time us guys all drop dead...the girls are still playing mahjong)in the study room, there's CS or Diablo 2 on Battlenet or mad rushes in Star craft.

This way...us guys get to kick each others head in either VF or KOF or race till the tires melt in GT or Shutoku battle...girls get their choice of games as well.

Essentially, gaming night became something of a weekly event where we all get together..kick back...relax and just play as if we had no worries abt bills...homework...work issues...

This way, even though the guys could be spending alot of their time on games, the girls aren't bored by themselves cause they have their own set of games as well.

Sometimes, I think cultural differences plays a big part as well. In my circle of female friends / girls that I know...if a guy doesn't play any games, they usually go ' what! U're a non gamer??? FREAK!'

Sometimes, it's funny to hear them complain abt so n so being poor gamers...no team work...etc etc etc.

It's like, they fully expect games to be part of their lives as well...so why can't it be a part of the guy's life too?

Maybe that's why my friends and I never had to bother abt ' games n GF' issues at all. It's like, playing games is a 'asian norm'.

But ozzie girls on the other hand...go ' my god, u play games competitively?

Although I really do have a dislike for this particular question which I get asked alot by non gaming ozzie girls : ' summah, why do u buy so much games?'

It's like me asking her ' why do u buy so many pairs of
    shoes?'

Such a moot question..yet she demand to know an answer.

12. SPINMASTER X

SPINMASTER X Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SMX-001
    Actually they do mix. Back in 1995 when I was a total VF maniac( i was so hardcore i thought anything less than VF was Shit including Tekken) I moved back to the US and this girl i had met wanted to be my girlfriend. So me and her dated for months and I never knew that her and her dad were hardcore VF players like me!!!

So one day she invited me over to her house and we played her saturn a bit then she asked did i want to switch games and I looked at her games and realized she had VF2 then I snapped and said lets play it now!!!! So we put that in and we played for a long ass time(aaahhh the memories), She was a Jeffery user. Of course i beat her cuz my Jacky and Shun was badass, then her dad came home and then it was RUMBLE TIME!!!

He started talking to me about consoles and other fighting games and he and I both did a bit of PSX and Tekken bashing(man i was a wreck back then). He was an Akira and Shun player and I was a Jacky and Shun player and we both battled and we pretty much tied. It was a freaking blast.

Basically I got lucky and got a girlfriend and a dad who played VF. Unfortunately I never saw her again or her dad again cuz they moved away. Damn I wish I could find another girl who played.

13. Shadowdean

Actually, I think that is an increadibly biased statement...there are plenty of women who are into violence, video games, and combinations thereof. That being said, MOST women, due to socialization, are not. But to say that just because there is violence you will loose the girls interest is simply wrong.

14. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

] Sure, I'm a hardcore gamer myself...but I'm sure there's a
    ] time for games n time for something else. Last thing I
    ] wanna talk abt over dinner is games...so imagine the poor
    ] girls tagging along with us to dinner...then just sit there n
    ] listen to

Agreed. Years ago, after I quit VF3, that was how I felt when I had meals with my local friends who were VF3 maniacs. Shades of William Shatner's unpopular "Get a life!" skit on SNL.

15. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

darn blonde_one, you really had my vision......

*still dreaming* my lion can be my bait... hehe, if not, then wolf or akira..

get me while i'm HOT..... uh,huh...uh,huh.. ^o^

16. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>OK, Shadowdean... Settle down. We're just musing here. To say "plenty" of women are into violence is overbroad in itself. How many is "plenty"? And are those the women you're looking to get off with? In my part of LA, women don't dig violence, in general. Of course, there are going to be exceptions to anyone's particular perceptions! Here, you just can't go up to a girl and say to her: "Hey sweetness... Wanna come over my place and play VF4?" It ends up being interpreted as: "Wanna check out how violent video games can be?", or worse: "Wanna beat me up or see if I can beat you up?" There are probably even more ways they interpret it but I think I've made my point. It registers a Turn-off signal to them which turns into a dead end. 'No points for you, pal... And you definitely ain't gonna get some of that "good stuff" later if you go there again.' Maybe it's different in your part of the world...

GT3 eh, SummErs? I've gotta try that with my wife. Who knows... LOL</font color=yellow>

17. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

God...do try it.

GT3 was the last game we thought abt!

Turns out em females are really into cars too...which come to think of it..shouldn't be a suprise at all...seeing how they've got tons of love for driving in real life.

Sometimes, I really wonder why there's a generalisation abt women not playing games 'because it shows violence'. Half the time, I think women get turned off by games...purely because they are playing the wrong games. Everyone has different taste...just have to find them a genre they like.

None of the girls in my life dig violence...but that doesn't stop them from trying to snipe someone in CS or chop up the cows in D2...CAUSE THEY KNOW IT'S A FICKING GAME!

Both of these games are hell more violent than VF...

The way I see it...if a girl comes up to me and say ' video games are just so full of nonsense violence that doesn't do anything beneficial to player'....I would simply reply ' haha! I always knew u were narrow minded!'

btw, did I mentioned I hate narrow minded ppl?
    Just last week..I was at toys r us...playing around with the gamecube when this dumbass bloke walked past me n declared to his friends that the PS2 is better than gamecube cause it's bigger n it has SEGA!.

18. Shadowdean

I should of stated as a disclaimer, that a lot of the girls I hang out with already are into video games and martial arts, so that does throw an obvious bias on women. PLenty of women ARE into violence...hell, look at the Armed forces where women have been trying to get into front line duty....

19. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

<font color=yellow>True, true, Shadowdean. I wasn't thinking about the military. When think of violence, I immediately think LA Riots. When I associate that with women, I think I don't want to hang out with her... Y'see: I live 20+ Miles/32+ Kilometers from Sybil Brand Institute for Women, a maximum security correctional facility for women. I also was a police explorer scout growing up and I did my explorer training there. When I think of women who are into violence, my mind defaults to that setting. My bad for being narrow minded...

You and SummErs have a point, methinks. It's the kind of violence that gets associated with extreme behavior sometimes or just naughtiness that gets some of them going. I've seen that Oh... Did I do that? look accompanied with an impish grin all too often, so I can relate...</font color=yellow>

20. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Not so

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

there are plenty of women who are into violence, video games, and combinations thereof.

<hr></blockquote> Not violence, for me. From a female's POV, i liked vf3 a lot and doa2 because the moves were so beautiful. I watch WWF for the moves too - I like how some wrestlers (the females in particular) are so acrobatic (Molly somersaulting from one end of the ring to Trish @ the other end, before doing a Kage-style throw - grabbing her by her head using her legs and flipping her over - WOW!) and can execute their moves with precision - it's just like watching vf3/4 characters in real life, and vice versa, when playing the game (i.e. just like what the "real wrestlers" do). I think the moves which are emulated the most in VF are jeffry's and wolf's, with a sprinkling of others' of course.

Games like Fighting Wushu (a now-extinct game by Namco I think, released several years ago), although 3D and on a powerful board, and Tekken failed to appeal to me cos the moves were ugly. Ick. VF has one of the best, most realistic-looking (prob cos they're based on actual fighting styles: shun - "zui quan", ala jacky chan!, akira - hakkyokuken [hmm..spelling?], kage - jujutsu, jacky - jeet kune do, etc) and fluid moves where 3D games are concerned. The game system also rocks - one of the fairest I've seen yet. DOA2 comes close too - except for the ninja (Hayabusa - his moves looked nonsensical) & Kasumi (some of her moves are quite silly) I think everyone's moves were quite cool - loved the old man's moves (Gen Fu) in particular - had grace and majesty...