1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

G/F's and VF: do they Mix?

Discussion in 'General' started by Blondie, May 1, 2002.

1. sayow

sayow Well-Known Member

Ah, Yes... The Eye Candy Angle...

<font color=yellow>Thanks, Pinkgirl. A lady's insight is always welcome on topics like this. We 'boys' can use all the help we can get, even if we say we don' t need it... LOL

I completely forgot about the Eye Candy aspect of gaming that draws certain women to video games. I remember putting on a Tekken 3 disc at a party and all the ladies cram into the room just to see the Tiger/Eddie Gordo disco dance a few times. The Tekken Tag Tiger/Eddie Gordo disco dance had the same effect.</font color=yellow>

2. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Re: Not so

Just a little gripe....every fighting game save UFC (and even there to an extent) are NOT realistic. THey may have realistic elements, but they are in NO way realistic...I would love to see an 80 year old man get slammed, someone get up after having their neck broken, spine shattered...etc...
    In terms of "beauty" of moves, generally, if you watch full contact martial arts matches/events, most of the moves, from an esoteric pov, are not pretty.
    Speaking for myself - I Find them pretty because I know the time and work put into it..TO make an comparison...my round house 3 years ago or so was better looking than my roundhouse is today...but my roundhouse today is stronger and more effective..

3. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

Well, I know its silly to think that Insanely HOT asian women play VF all the time. I just wish video games in general were accepted not so much as a waste of time. But a sport, seriously, thats how I look at VF, its a friggin sport. I'm going to be the best at it. I'm going to train my brain to do certain things, study vids, work out my fingers and hands, along with working on there dexterity. I think it could be looked at as a sport and "most" women these days look at games as foolishness and wastes of time. She doesn't even have to play but just realize that gaming is how I relax. I would gladly give up TV for VF anyday. Anyways food for thought. later.

4. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

Re: You've Got to Face The Facts...

My wife is hooked onto Nights into Dreams on the Saturn. Had her going on and on trying to better scores neglecting me /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

But was in a good way. At least she can get some game time. Let me see, yes you are right about GT3. Women like fast cars. They are safe drivers in reality but in driving sims, they like the idea of driving in wild abandon.

5. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

maybe it should be "realistic-looking" then...

yup i realise aoi's leg-breaking moves are kinda ridiculous (& the opponent's character can stand up afterward still! lol) & jeffry's backbreaker + a lot of other moves would probably kill on the spot /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif but isn't this true for a lot of fighting games too?

Anyway, i think what i mean is that, at least we don't see any "fireballs"/"energy balls" in VF, and the characters don't do freakily impossible things like those "specials" in KOF... lol...

Btw, anyone caught Tom Cruise's "jiao dao" (um, kick flip I think) in MI2? Beautiful, but physically impossible... i think...

6. Pinkgirl

wait...i realise i did say "realistic-looking" in my 1st post

7. Pinkgirl

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I'm going to train my brain to do certain things, study vids, work out my fingers and hands, along with working on there dexterity.

<hr></blockquote> A study (sorry I don't have the reference) showed that playing video games keeps the brain active in old folks (so the onset of dementia/Alzheimer's is delayed), and in kids, improves their coordination & reflexes.

What I respect about VF is that it doesn't only test one's reflexes & dexterity (particularly VF4 - gamespeed is much faster than VF3's... play them consecutively to see the difference), it also tests one's mind-reading ability (i.e. okizeme: knowing what one's opponent is likely to do next), adaptability (i.e. the ability to adapt one's own gameplay to deal with the "styles" of different opponents), flexibility (i.e. the ability to prevent oneself from falling into a "fixed pattern" of gameplay, so that one's opponents cannot "read" one's strategy and think up one to counter it) & cognitive mapping (tested through the handling of impromptu flowcharting, on-the-spot strategising/problem-solving to deal with a certain move, etc).

8. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

"Games like Fighting Wushu (a now-extinct game by Namco I think, released several years ago), although 3D and on a powerful board, and Tekken failed to appeal to me cos the moves were ugly. Ick."

just for a clearer understanding....

fighting wushu was done by konami on their *so-called* powerful Cobra board which struggled inbetween model 2b & 3, the game did'nt even raise an eyebrow (not to mention their name sounds like it could be a chinese soup).. so it's just a poor attempt of konami making a fighting game really.

on your second point,.. tekken's moves don't look as humanly-possible as VF, however, i always admired it's flow of gameplay and smooth connections, could you elaborate on what apears to be ugly? (IYO) if it may be the lack of realisim, VF4 is by no means a replacement, as it's realistic features were long lost after VF2... the two series of VF & tekken are drawing way too similiar to go unnoticed nowadays, especially with the likes of t4's new movement system and various small features included..

anyways, thanx for the input of a female's point of view... we need more of these around (also VERY cute girls plz.. with pics & phone numbers ^_^).

it's good that you consider the somewhat *skills* involved in the Vf series over blind thrashing (violence), because that's where females judge these kind of games to be shallow in general IMO... and probaly games overall.

9. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

Re: Not so 2

] yup i realise aoi's leg-breaking moves are kinda ridiculous (&
    ] the opponent's character can stand up afterward still! lol) &
    ] jeffry's backbreaker + a lot of other moves would probably
    ] kill on the spot but isn't this true for a lot of fighting games
    ] too?

One fighting game that tracks damage and hit locations is Bushido Blade 1 and 2. Almost all Bushido Blade chara fight with melee weapons, and a hit on an arm or leg cripples that limb.

That game is also infamous for its "one hit, one kill" instant deaths, but in reality (well, virtual reality), a high-level enemy can absorb multiple hits to his head before he finally buys the farm. Also, bullets from a revolver or even an M-16 can be parried.

10. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

Re: Not so 3

(Off-Topic)

] From a female's POV, i liked vf3 a lot and doa2 because the
    ] moves were so beautiful. I watch WWF for the moves too

In games and the real world, for some odd reason, I like the DDT and Frankensteiner pro-wrest throws.

11. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Wow. no. Do not elaborate at ANY time on the idea of playing video games with anyone that is not DIRECTLY involved in the scene ! Avoid at all costs in order to dodge the ever looming "looser" moniker.

Women are not impressed by video game prowess ( save for maybe the little girls on DDR ). And I dont think I'd necessarily like to be involved with a woman who is. Sure I've been a regular gamer for the last 12 years but I kinda keep it in the closet. Win a tournament ? Dont tell anyone thats not involved, keep it in the "looser file" ( mine's pretty big /versus/images/icons/smile.gif ). Some advice : keep it as private as possible. You can acknowledge the fact that you play and not be ashamed, just make it known that its a hobby you enjoy and that you keep on the shelf where it belongs and it does not mix with any other aspect of your life. Dont bring the girl to an arcade, EVER. Dont bring the girl to gatherings, EVER. Dont make her meet the people you know exclusively through gaming, as much as possible.

If your spending more time playing than getting off with the girl, somethings wrong. Dont let gaming have any priority over anything else in your life. That being said, sometimes you need a brake from your life and do something you enjoy, then its time to play some VF /versus/images/icons/smile.gif.

The above are the "white" rules to use as guidelines to keep dodging and fending off the "looser" tag that inevitably comes along with being a regular gamer. Formulate your own variations, but in essence I think this is my way of keeping a healthy attitude towards gaming.

" elbow -14, knee +5, shoulder ram +4, beatknuckle->evade to the back, 10 frames for TTE" <- Case in point. Dont let it go this far !

12. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

LOL~

nice sig hehehe

13. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If your spending more time playing than getting off with the girl, somethings wrong.

<hr></blockquote>

Wonder how the Japanese players do it. They sure are good to the point like they have been living, eating and breathing VF. Wonder how is the love life of these high level VFers.

14. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

IIRC, one of the tetsujin back in the VF2 era had his wife leave him over the game.

15. Winston Smith

Winston Smith Member

WARNING - post may cause blindness

Would you trust this man (term used loosely) when it comes to the ladies?

[​IMG]

16. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

This may be a little off topic of this thread, but this link has video of Korean Starcraft tourney with female players. (These girls are good!)

http://www.ghemtv.com/program/s_league.html

Instruction: click on "VOD" (on top right) and choose "11" from the pull down menu from the pop-up window.

At any rate, what everyone said here is of course right. You may find more girls playing game in Asia but that's about it. In a similar note, you may find that the girls in Asia do NOT find guys practicing martial arts attractive. Well, unless you look something like Legolas from LOTR, that is. (But in that case you won't have to do anything to attract girls.)

Play bastketball if you want to attract girls.

17. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Plan 17 Plan 17: stay in school

First: There are two rules with GFs. One, you are always wrong and two it is never enough. You must show gf how to do knee in groin and neck toss throw asap. Play as Wolf without shirt. Lose matches through ring outs, punished throw wiffs and punch kick combos. You must vary the ways you allow gf to win so you can say with straight face that you are not letting her win. This is important. You must also shower her with affection after each session of VF4.
    Hope this will help you. <font color=white>"Come On, snap out of it!"</font color=white>
    Here's a gamer that went over the line: Kobayashi a high school drop-out with money to burn is accused of holding more than a dozen woman captive last year in his home in Ebetsu, Hokkaido and in various apartments in Sapporo. While there, he forced them to parade around naked and crawl around his home while attached to a leash, all the while smiling for the video camera he focused on their nakedness. Their reported ordeals appears to have been the tip of the iceberg. Police say, " We know that he has captured at least 13 women, some of them mere teens." He'd take close-up photos of the places where he'd bashed women which he then used as "cover photos" for the mpegs and almost always had detailed sex in the videos." /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif A raid on 21-year-old Kobayashi's home in the wake of his arrest unearthed some 30 erotic video games he is said to have used to derive the scripts for his mpeg productions. "Erotic games can be divided into two main types -- those focusing on pure love, and the others centering around fighting or even more demonic acts," <font color=red>Noboru Owada</font color=red>, an expert on erotic video games told reporters. "A basic pattern in the fighting games involves the capture and confinement of women who are given sexual 'training' until they become totally compliant to the will of the master." With the market in a bit of a slump recently, companies are coming up with ever more grotesque story lines. One of the videos seized from Kobayashi's home featured a scene where 30 nude women are chained together by their collars in a cage room and forced to have sex with a video character called Wolf which Yosi played complete with war paint and feathered headdress. He would end each sex scene with a wooping howl he claims is from a favorite video game. According to sources in Japan, Yosi’d pick up women through dating clubs, or use girls he would find in video arcades either playing his favorite games or hanging out sucking on lollipops or pacifiers. Once he got them into his home, he'd keep them as prisoners. If they tried to escape, he'd only let them go if they promised to introduce another woman to him," according to police sources. Kobayashi went even further, forcing four of the women to marry him by coercing them into placing their seals on a marriage certificate. Fortunately for the women, Kobayashi was just as willing to grant a divorce. He turned up for his mother's funeral with his hair dyed blonde and wearing clothes that looked like a kamikaze pilot's uniform," a neighbor of the Tokyo family home says. Kobayashi dropped out of high school and headed off to Hokkaido to hang out at the video arcades by himself. He then started his pattern of marriage and divorce, as well as frequently changed homes throughout Sapporo. He also agreed to be adopted, taking on the name Kobayashi and dropping his birth surname of Kimura. Yosi enjoyed having buxom woman dress up as Rebecca, Vanessa, Sarah Bryant and other video game woman like the popular Laura Croft. Yosi expects to settle with the complainants for cash and sell the mpegs on line to fellow gamers worldwide. 5/7/02
    fyi- wifey plays VF. She raised son Joe on VF1 and VF2. More beautiful young woman than you can shake a stick at every Saturday morning at www.chinatownfair.com They come to practice dancing games ( there are four different dance machines in this cave of an arcade. Invariably, when I have wifey and daughter there w/ me I get an enormous number of challenges from the very woman you need to meet! <font color=white>"Come On!</font color=white>" The single VF4 players that wish to meet attractive gamers need to get there when the ladies are in the house, not when it pleases them!

18. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had read about that guy previously. I didn't know he had a thing for VF though, jeezus. That's REALLY disturbing.
    Anyways, here's what I had read before:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/face/0204/0425richkid.html>http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/face/0204/0425richkid.html</a>

All I have to say is... he is one sick fucker. Sorry for the impolite language, but it just has to be said.

19. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Pachinko game of death story

Fusamura( who looked like Pai Chan* [disturbing shiver]) walked into a brothel one day and despite her age was able to earn enough money to support herself and her pachinko game habit for some time but she rather quickly had built up several million yen worth of debts with loansharks because of her pachinko game habit. She started working in the brothel once she arrived in Otsu, but still couldn't get her debts under control. To maintain the lifestyle she'd become used to, she decided she'd have to kill off her husband to get the money from his life insurance," another police source tells Shukan Shincho. /versus/images/icons/shocked.gif Thank goodness she was not addicted to VF4 and corrupting VF Players! We have precious few that frequent the arcade here. This is all we would need; to siphon off a few more active arcade VFers.
    * a sure sign that one is obsessing over a game is finding likenesses with real people in the news and game characters. Did anyone see the actor in <font color=red>Spiderman</font color=red> that looked like a VF4 character?

20. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

my goodness zero-chan, that guy really needs a padded cell..., i hope i don't go bonkers over mecha (though i really love that style of anime), i think my face screwed after what it said about keeping women prisoners and making them act out his favorite scenes (while crawling round the house naked on a leash!?).... LOL, sick stuff!