1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Game settings

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by Shadowdean, Sep 3, 2000.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I am just wondering, something I was thinking about after the gathering, is that do you always have to have the game set to base settings? Personally, I like to have 60 seconds to play. I like it cause I don't like having a time limit to really worry about, although it is there. I do play more aggressivly when the timer is lower, though on the other hand I find I make more mistakes.
    As for health settings, I normally keep it at the 200 level, though sometimes I like to jack up the health...it just changes the dynamics of the match..
    I am asking, cause almost everyone I've played with except one of my friends has a almost emotional adversity towards changing any of the settings. What are you all settings?

2. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

it just changes the dynamics of the match..

Exactly. A lot of strategies we have learned are based on the 30-sec 200pts base settings. Changing either or both of the settings alter the gameplay (a lot), so that's why I, for one, don't like it.

For example, if the time is longer, it wouldn't be just so fair for Shun since he relies a lot on time management at the competitive level of play. True, he may not have that many TO wins, but the time running low often messes up opponent's psyche, inducing fuck ups.

If there is more life, one obvious consequence is more emphasis on RO (do I need to explain this?). Jacky may have to connect FIVE elbow-spinkicks, instead of usual THREE, while facing the increased chance of losing a round by RO.

3. Shadowdean

The emphises on adding more life is not needed, but, as the game gets abit older, I would think that it might be fun to screw around with it...and it also tests how versitle you are....

4. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Here is my question. If I am using Jacky, how more versatile should I be to adapt to the different settings? What...connect with more elbow-spinkicks?

VS. Kage match, for example, Kage will always have more chance of RO no matter what the time/energy settings are. Meanwhile Jacky would have to connect more attacks, while constantly being wary of potential RO hazards. (of course, count out the desert stage)

Please...Shadowdean...educate me on how Jacky can take advantage of increased life/time settings against Kage.
    (...and I am perfectly fine with so called *boring* Jacky. Winning the match with only elbow-spinkicks is just fine because it is harder than you would think)

5. Shadowdean

Shota, I think you may be missing my point...The main reason I bring up changing some of the settings is just to explore the game...maybe not just connecting with differen't elbow spin kicks...but just trying differen't things...listen, if changing something in the game is not for you, great...not saying it has to be...but on the other hand, maybe some people like to experiment with differen't settings and find that they get enjoyment out of it.

6. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

That's exactly the point. I'm just curious how and why YOU would enjoy the game with different settings...because I tried before.

7. GodEater

GodEater Well-Known Member

my names not rappaport

I'm just experiencing a small amount of nostalgia with this thread.

Back in the VF2 days when we had learned practically everything there
    was to know about the game we started having Sumo Matches. infinite
    life, infinite time, 42 meter ring. The only way to win was through
    RO. Lot of fun.

That said, the potential for RO doesn't always spell RO. B+P+G can
    be escaped so the threat is neutralized...more threats exist after
    that but that's the whole point of evolving strategies.

When VF3 first came to North American shores (we got it first, kids)
    the settings were stupid. 400 point life bar. WE begged them to
    change it because every match ended in TO. The person who fell
    behind first usually ended up losing the match.

But people are better now. Their skill compliments situations.
    Behind? Catch up. I think changing the settings of the game
    at this point might be instructive to some people. staple combos
    are no longer effective unless you hit them 3 or four times in
    the middle of a round. Players might evolve a better ground game
    then they had previously. Strategy will certainly change (if you
    are of the mind to let it) and when the settings are changed back
    your short game might be more effective. Having to fend of
    attacks from an aggressive opponent for 60 seconds can only help
    the 30 second matches.

Setting changes can also help breathe a little life into the game
    if you think you're starting to outgrow it.

GE

8. sta783

sta783 Well-Known Member

Re: my names not rappaport

B+P+G can be escaped so the threat is neutralized

My point was that, against some characters like Jacky, you just do not have to worry too much about RO...especially by his throws. Yes, b+P+G can be escaped...but you still have to be cautious and on alert. Whereas against Jacky I can solely concentrate on diffense for his attacks, not so much for his RO (OK...I'm a tired after a long day, excuse my bad English).

I think changing the settings of the game at this point might be instructive to some people.

Well, to put it in the nicest way possible, I replied because it was Shadowdean who originally posted the issue. My covert (or obvious?) message was that Shadowdean should just instead improve his game by sticking to the basics. Having d/f+K,K,K as Sarah's main arsenal won't win the game in the original game settings, nor in the modified settings.

After all, I think I made a mistake on telling others how the game should be played...which is actually quite stupid since it's not MY game.