1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Gamespot videos

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by ice-9, Jul 4, 2001.

1. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Checked out the Kage vs Pai/Akira clips. I don't know, I don't really like that armor outfit too much. It looks...really out of place. VF2 speed or no, Kage seems to move like a slow bastard. His elbow is much, much slower (but with more range). You can _see_ the beginning animation for his hopkick! I have a feeling the way Kage is played in 4 will be very different than 3...

2. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    I agree kage seems to have changed a lot. Did you check out the IGN videos as well? Lots of Kage footage. While I wouldn't really know about the changes in elbow speed or the hop kick, it seems to me that he's been powered up for the most part.

Whether or not this is true will take weeks of playing to truly determine; but he at least seems to be more user friendly in some ways. It also seems that the players in the videos are trying to fight using mostly hitting moves, as opposed to setting up f+P+G or TFT combos. I have yet to see a TFT, though I haven't watched all the IGN footage yet.

Looks like using the DP OTB is totally easy now, whereas before it seemed to require some serious practice, espescially after the f+P+G- DP. In fact, I haven't seen anyone miss it yet. Funny no one is trying to tack on the new K canned combo after the DP; wonder if it works. His b/d+k seems stronger now, too. Looks like you'd have time to stomp if they don't instant recovery (IR). I will say that teh b,b+K+G looks really slow now.

I'm really interested in his new stance(s), Hagakure Ryuu. Seems like once he takes it (the animation is crossing his arms in front of his chest) he has a new middle kick that looks like Akira's; and in this stance high punches, middle punches, and middle kicks (if not more) cause him to VERY QUICKLY roll behind the oppt with his back turned. In a magazine I have, it shows him nailing Akira with his TT D+K after rolling past the Yoho, a move with good forward movement. I watched the Kage-Pai match frame by frame and he begins his roll to avoid her middle kick before it's animation even begins- like it starts the second the oppt. makes his command! I also saw him switch to the version that responds to low attacks vs. Sarah, and get behind her Leg Slicer. Most of the players in the video seem to be responding with the TT high kick, but I figure once Kages get used to it, and start making guessing games with back throws, front throws after the oppt. escapes, the TT low kick, back turned throw etc. this move will be really strong. It seems to add an interesting new dimension to his defensive side.

In addition, once people start IRing every time to not get DP'd OTB, and we figure out the timing for throwing after an IR (not to mention throw games after his charge attack breaks the guard), Kage will be a nightmare. I agree though, he seems to be different... but in a really interesting way. I'd like to see what a Kage vet can do with him.

Spotlite

3. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

in one of the ign videos, kage vs akira in the leaf stage, it looks as if kage's uf+P+G overrides/MC's Akira's sidekick. odd.

i'm really wary of the changes to the throw system.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Regarding the IGN videos, is it too much to ask to see some VF4 footage provided by someone who actually knows how to play the damn game? Watching those videos is like watching newbies play all the older versions of Virtua Fighter. A lot of bouncing and jostling around until player finds two moves that actually work. Use and reuse, ad nauseum. Crying out loud, people, there's no excuse for this on a videogame website. Did everyone at IGN throw away their Dreamcasts already?

There's something about fighting games, in that players expect to become masters by mindlessly bashing buttons at random until something pretty happens. What, technique? Strategy? Anything involving a sentient thought? Heaven forbid! Even with a simple game like Virtua Tennis, there's a certain level of strategy that must be acquired, and anyone who I've played against knows that. But if it's a fighter, oooh, let the channel-surfing begin, and check your brains at the door.

You'll have to excuse my rant. Living in Minneapolis, it's likely the only VF4 in the state will end up at the Mall of America, doomed to be ignored by idiots who can't be bothered to spend more than five seconds on a match before nestling back to safe, old Tekken and Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. Oh, well, at least it'll be fun to teach 'em all a thing or two along the way.

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Well there are a few advanced techniques in there, but to be fair the game just came out and everyone is still getting used to it. If people were already playing it at VF3 level that wouldn't be so great.

6. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Well, people on IRC already know that I have my bias about the changes to the throw system (I don't like them).

In response to Bungle, I happened to be talking to a Tekken player friend of mine yesterday... He couldn't stand throws in VF... his reasoning was that he couldn't throw people out of attacks like he could in Tekken and that upset him (like your example of Kage vs. Akira). I merely told him that I found the throw game far more interesting in VF than in Tekken (maybe it's because of Tekken's retarded way of getting out of throws?), but that he was going about throws the wrong way in VF to begin with as far as I could tell.

In any case, I still think the VF1/2/3 throw system made throwing a very balanced option with its own pros and cons that separated it from attacks. Naturally, I haven't played VF4, but making all throws catch throws sort of makes throwing, well.... something else. Not to mention my common online bitching that I just don't like the way it looks now, because it is a catch throw...

-Chanchai

7. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

remember that really vague line by suzuki mentioning something about throws dependant on distance? is it me or do throws seem to come out quicker when the opponent is really close?

even if they are catch throws, most of them are very very fast.

8. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

From my brief experience, the overall throw system hasn't changed as much as people might think. The only complaints I have so far is Wolf's dodge attack (uu or dd plus PKG) is similar to his f,fplusPG but faster and does a fai amount of damage. Also his GS makes him take a few steps forward giving the thing huge range.

My friend, who didn't play much of VF prior, commented that it was a lot easier to throw, maybe because there are less restrictions or something. I did notice him get off a lot of simple PGs with Jacky.

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember. Actually asked John, Jason, and Yamcha to check to see if that is true.

I am glad the throws are fast, that's for sure. Will have to wait and see. I still have a bias on catch throws though... but I've already told myself... "they'll be fast." "Distance may have an effect on how fast." "still haven't played the game to know." "you've dealt with catch throws before."

-Chanchai

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's VERY different, trust me.

11. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff...feel free to elaborate more on the throwing system if you have the time....because I'm certainly curious what you've found the changes to be (other than the inital catch animations). I've pretty much been able to throw like before, except for E->throw of course.

12. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

The initial execution time makes all the difference!! That, and the fact that recovery times have been shortened all around makes throwing very difficult to pull off in intense versus matches. I mean, seriously, TFT-crazy Kage talking here...throws are definitely different.

OK, meeting in 3 minutes, see ya guys.