1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Gamespto Review of VF4 PS2

Discussion in 'General' started by Haklong, Mar 15, 2002.

1. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Here’s the problem I see with the game on a gameplay view. The buttons are too limited. No matter how much I play the game, I tend to be using the same attack combinations. I thought that perhaps if I studied the move list, my view would change. Well that idea got beaten to death with a stick. Granted that each character has a string of moves and what not, the button combinations are way too limited. Pressing two buttons to act as a single command also makes playing the game somewhat of a pain.

<hr></blockquote>

oh my thats funny.......not two buttons pressed at the same time.....not that. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

If you’re a button masher however, you’ll keep the opponent guessing because if they have learned the game, they’ll be at some high disadvantage because they won’t know what to expect! Expectation is the key to playing this game with a higher tier player.

<hr></blockquote>

WTF???? mash away.....keep em guessing....lol.

2. plan17

plan17 Active Member

that's an OFFICIAL review? jeez... pretty shocking... completely ignorant :O

3. Haklong

Haklong Member

I never thought a review could actually get me mad. WTF was he thinking? That site should change it's name to Tekken.net. It's amazing to me that a game like VF still can't prove itself to the main stream public. I guess AM2 needs to add cyborgs that fight be walking on their butts while they punch for the game to get credit. They also need a Bear...oh, and some CG movies that compliment a half assed story. And I can't forget the number of characters needed. They should make duplicate characters but give them different names and change some moves like Namco does. Like have Evil Jacky that has red eyes and wings and he can fly and shoot beams from his eyes...yeah!

All the idiot had to do was scroll down to training, go to trial and test it out. By the time you get out of there you will see how deep and complex the engine really is. Oh well, I have had this argument since VF2 so I'll save my breath.

4. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

You should also see his response on "discussions." Justifying his review because they were his "unbiased impressions." For the most part though, impressions are "impressions." reviews are evaluations. The guy doesn't seem to understand that. Oh well... what more could we ask for from him anyways?

Then somebody pops up on the fighters dot net forum with a comment like "I don't see how a game with two attack buttons can be deep."

5. gaishou

oh yes i forgot to check out the discussion board.........time to have fun.

6. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Like have Evil Jacky that has red eyes and wings and he can fly and shoot beams from his eyes...yeah!

<hr></blockquote>

/versus/images/icons/laugh.gif I can just see that happening... u+P to jump, then QCF,QCF+P+K to shoot laser beams. 10 frames to execute, strong high move (must duck to avoid), -20f recovery if blocked. Causes head KD on MC. /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

7. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Here's ShadowJin's more recent comments.... Agree or disagree with it as you like. I just wish I could access my fighters dot net account... I still believe that there's a difference between "impressions" and "review."

okay, in answer...

1.) Yes, it is higher than BR3. I had a hard time placing a grade on this game. It was mainly the graphical flaws and the lack of "working yourself into the game" to be it's main problem. Everyone is babbling on about how if I just sat down longer with the game, I would have loved it. Sorry guys, but that's a problem, at least at my POV. You see, a good game, even a fighter, starts out with gradual depth, not "hey, unless you've studied up for the past 9 years on the prequels, you haven't go the slightest clue on how to play this game." That is a major problem. BR3 started out being excited and fast paced, enough so to keep a person's interest until they unveiled the true potential of the game. Also, every review on the web or in any magazine is somewhat bias. Let me tell you boys and girls how that works. One person yells "HYPE" and it's all over with. In actuallity, the Hype is merely "i'll slide you so much money if you push my game." I'm not condoning this method, but we all know what happened to Incite Magazine because they printed unbiased material for the most part. That's right, they disappeared.

2.) Tekken is deeper in the sense that it can gradually be learned, yet when you first pick up the controller, it's not absolute shit. Again, referring to the main flaw this game has.

3.) Tekken has changed a good bit over the years, but it's been one of the few 3D fighters i've been following.

It may be a bad review, but it is a review from someone who is new to the series and it shows how hard it is for anyone who hasn't been a large fan of the series, to get into the game. Yes, we're all gamers, but it's not the diehard fans that make games sell, it's mainly the younger generation, and if they can't understand something when it's their turn, they'll toss it. Again, Sega pulling out the quality stick and beating everyone senseless with it. And yes, I loved Seaman, but how many people hated it?

I've been playing this game hardcore for the past day, and it's still rough to get into. Don't even make me get into the stiff motions on the models...cause I don't want to go there. It's a review, which is my sole opinion.

-Chanchai

8. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

A Tekken fan complaning about stiff character models....that's pretty hilarious.

9. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

obviously never tried the slow motion feature in replay mode.

Ah well..idiots will always remain as idiots.

I actually hope this idiot comes in here and read this thread.

I'm dun mind giving him a piece of my mind.
    Sure u guys won't too.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Yuck. The most dangerous kind of opinion is the kind that knows just enough to pass itself off as informed. At least when a total newbie forms a stupid opinion, it's easy to dismiss.

11. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

I dunno. The suggestion that Sega gave every site on earth a bag of money, but he turned it down to tell the truth (I bet VF contains cyanide too) in a strange ramble that was supposed to pass as a review.

Ah well..

12. gaishou

1.) Yes, it is higher than BR3.

<hr></blockquote>

does br3 = bloody roar 3?? does anyone actually play that game? i played the first and have no intention of playing it ever again. total shite game imo........

13. Haklong

Haklong Member

I posted another response to him. I think I might actually put a link to this site if you guys don't mind. I usually let things like this role (trust me, after defending VF since part 2 it gets boring) but this guy is making the game look impossible to get into.

14. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

Everybody register at fighters.net and tell him what you think! Just takes a minute to register. Unless anybody is too lazy and wants me to post a reply under their name there?

15. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Heh, in other news, Tekken 4 gets a 9.4 from IGN, compared to VF4's 9.3. But they still pussy out and say they're different instead of declaring one better than the other.

16. Chan415

Chan415 Active Member

You guys do know Tekken is WAY more popular than VF in the US than in Japan.

I guess it's a trend. Just like how the US like SF way more than any SNK series, and it's vise versa in japan.

It's just cultural differences too...hey..how many guys in japan bought Madden2002 or NFL2k2? And how many guys in the US imported a train sim?

It all depends on the audience..

17. gaishou

dunno about you, but its a shame that there weren't more snk games here. i dont think it wasn't that people didnt like them, but that the arcade owners didn't know much about snk, and how well the games were made. maybe i'm wrong..../versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

True, but a lot of Capcom players kept trying to play it like Street Fighter.

19. Murasame

Murasame Well-Known Member

Heh, in other news, Tekken 4 gets a 9.4 from IGN, compared to VF4's 9.3. But they still pussy out and say they're different instead of declaring one better than the other.
    And I daresay the fortune was VF's. You know, they'd rather call Tekken better if VF's reputation wasn't at a peak right now...
    Anyway they are 'just different'. VF is deeper but most people like Tekken's characters and story better, and the presentation, and the music....( I was going to add 'modes', but no way does VF4 lose at that (most people raving about VF4 are talking about the kumite))

20. cooks94

cooks94 Well-Known Member

"There are ten levels of difficulty in the Kumite mode. They start with 10th Kyu and end with 1st Dan." -ShadowJin

Ha what an idiot! He actually put that in his review. I was disgusted with it and after i read it i banged my head against my wall for about an hour just like he did. But i had a good reason to do it, unlike him

"Also, the buttons for attacking being scaled down to basically 5 max just beats the lameness of this concept into one’s head. AHHHHHHHHH!!!! *smashes head into wall repeatedly*" -ShadowJin

AHHHHHHHH!!!! what an idiot! The only thing that was right in the review was that some people looked a little to shiny *Cough* Vanessa *cough*

Everyone go to fighters.net to yell at him imediatly!