1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Gates are for scrubs

Discussion in 'Joysticks and Other Controllers' started by steelcrezent786, May 28, 2013.

1. Basically, I use a Korean stick for VF. Now Korean sticks are different to any other type because they dont have a gate (the thing that the joystick hits when you move it in a direction, allowing you to feel what direction you hit). This obviously means when trying to hit a direction, you have no idea other than your experience in using the joystick what direction you are actually hitting.
    It takes some getting used to, especially hitting diagonals which are bitches at first.

This may sound like your just making the game harder for yourself by forcing yourself to spend time practising your fucking diagonals, but after some months im hitting my Youhous 95% of the time.
    I also found there that quarter circle motions are a lot easier, and even complex inputs like the GBoD and SPoD are a lot easier that many people are bitching about due to the ease of simply rolling your wrist without the resistance of a gate quickly without worrying about skipping the [3] for [2][3][6][P] (though [2][1][4][P] is always easier) or flicking it with your wrist for [4][3][P][+][K] .

Playing without a gate is frustrating at first, but after a while inputs become much easier and more comfortable than on a gate, I therefore suggest to you that a joystick without a gate is superior to a stick with one after significant time is spent adjusting to it, at least for games that have require 8 directional inputs.

Furthermore, after playing with a joystick for a while, you pretty much know where your diagonals are, so what's the need for the gate? At that point all you are doing is making it harder for yourself to accurately and quickly input directions without any resistance. That's not to mean k-sticks are not without resistance. They make use of 4 micro-switches that the joystick hits to make inputs and these provide significant resistance.

However, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Gate or no gate doesn't necessarily stop you from doing complex inputs accurately and quickly, so this is only really a minor thing.

Well anyway I hear that the majority of people on the forums play on Japanese sticks (sanwa, semitsu ect.) and I was wondering if anybody else played on one.

The thread title was just for lulz, I don't actually mean it, but I hope this has made you at least made you think.

2. 001

001 Well-Known Member Content Mgr El Blaze

i've been playing on a myoungshin fanta omni stick for a few weeks now. i like it for street fighter but for vf i can't step as fast with it compared to a sanwa jlf. i don't have any problems hitting diagonals with it but i feel the travel distance for each direction is huge compared to the compact movements of a japanese stick.

i also just got a crown 303fk yesterday to try out and the thing is pretty stiff compared to the myoungshin fanta. i miss diagonals alot just throwing simple fireballs in streetfighter. (it will sometimes only register [2][6] instead of [2][3][6]. you have to put in alot of force to ride the edge for that [3] to come out . maybe i just need to break it in or have a defective one but as of now i think the thing is ass compared to myoungshin fanta. also the the bottom of the battop is a sharp edge that's kinda irritating.

anyways here's a pic of the sticks. top is myoungshin fanta, middle sanwa, bottom crown303-fk.

[​IMG]

3. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Korean stick is not good for anything but Tekken IMO, gets you those 13f EWGF's, light dash and BDC easily. VF has pretty lax execution so I don't see what benefit a stick like that would bring into it.

Cozby likes this.
  4. d3v

d3v Active Member

Pai~Chun and Chanchai like this.
  5. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

Non Gated sticks is old news.. The question is.. Do you know what to do with that device?

6. d3v

d3v Active Member

Technically, Fantas still have a gate. The difference is that they're positioned above the microswitches (usually as part of the housing) and not below them like in Japanese sticks.

7. d3v

d3v Active Member

8. Pai~Chun

Pai~Chun Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Lishao Tao GPK
    That looks nice, hope Amazon UK get them in stock soon. 3s & VF are pretty much the only games I play now, but I find the JLF in the HRAP and the VSHG a bit on the loose side (with it's fairly long throw and square gate) for 2D. This could be an effective go-between...

9. d3v

d3v Active Member

K sticks actually have a larger deadzone than other JP sticks. One of the reasons we recommend them for 3D is due to how much easier it is to get back to neutral.