1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

General questions about VF

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Tsobanian, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Tsobanian

Tsobanian Well-Known Member

I have the Jap version of VF4 evolution.

How can I unlock the vf1 mode and the office!? Stage (this stage is sawn during the ending titles when someone finishes the arcade mode)?
    How can I write text when the match starts and when it ends? . (In Jap arcades all the players are writing text ex. chibita's quote is makenaiyo (I wont lose) )
    Who are the voice actors for VF4 evo (specially the Jap voice actors .I've heard that the voice actor for Pai is Iwao Junko but I am not sure).
    And who are the motion actors for vf?

I want also info about the Jap vf players (chibita ,mukkii akira , ohsu akira ,kyasao, HSU ,bunbunmaru, segaaru, shiropai ,tsuchikumo pai, jou, heruru, the girera (aoi),etc....etc..).I mean what are the doing except than playing VF. I see that mukii -chibita -tsuchikumo have played more than ten thousand matches in both EVO and VF4 .How much money are those guys spending for VF??

That's for now! Probably I'll be back with more questions.( If there are any mistakes sorry ->bad English)

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

VF1 mode: This is part of the 10th anniversary edition of VF4. You get VF1 models and one VF1 stage, and many gameplay rules are changed.

In regular evo, if you want VF1 models and the VF1 stage, play more quest mode. You can search to find the exact quest requirements needed to get VF1 models, but they're easily purchased in the shop early on. I think if you choose VF1 models and stage, then the VF1 lifebars are automatic. Gameplay is not changed so this is just different graphics, not a special VF1 mode.

You can't write text without playing real vf.net as far as I know.

Voice actors: Do a search.

Motion actors: That's a good question, I've never seen it answered. Many of them are probably the same as the ones used in older VF games, so try looking through VF1/VF2/VF3 faqs on gamefaqs.com or in the VF text archive.

Personal info on the players: Someone who lives in japan might be able to answer this. I've never seen any personal info about jobs, girlfriends, hobbies, etc on this board. The amount of money the players spend seems large, but think about it... if chibita plays 10,000 matches and wins 9,000 ... he only pays for 1000 of them. That's 1,000 dollars for 10,000 matches, just .10 USD for a game. Also chibita and others get many free games as part of their 100 man kumite challenges sponsored by Sega AM2. They might even get paid to play these.

3. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

These guys do get a small guarantee for interviews, and I would assume for 100-man Kumite's as well. As some of them are WELL outside of Tokyo, they'd need soemthing to compensate for lost time.

I was to set up a tentative interview w/ Chibita & Kyasao for a foreign media outlet one time. I heard through the grapevine, their guarantee ranged from 20,000 - 30,000 yen. Not really expensive, but probably helps them a lot. I don't picture either of them doing a suit and tie gig, but I could be wrong.

As for the motion actors: Why not check out the bonus GD-ROm on the Shenmue 2 set for Dreamcast? They've got footage of them taking some motion capture. One thing though - Sega doesn't really do the motion capture. They hire 3rd parties to do that. I met a guy at Kanispo (accompanying the guy that wanted the Chibita/Kyasao interview) who worked for a company that did some of the capture for VF4... lost his card though.

4. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

That would be Anchor amongst others.

5. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:
    but think about it... if chibita plays 10,000 matches and wins 9,000 ... he only pays for 1000 of them. That's 1,000 dollars for 10,000 matches, just .10 USD for a game. Also chibita and others get many free games as part of their 100 man kumite challenges sponsored by Sega AM2. They might even get paid to play these.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a bit more complex than that though. If Chibita plays 3 matches in row, wins the first, loses the second, and wins the third, he is actually paying in your case for two of the three matches, so that way of judging how much a person has played is slightly inaccurate.

If you examine the writing above the lifebars on the videos of Japanese arcades, alot of the time it will say "free play," I am pretty positive that you either have to A. insert coins for a credit, or B. Insert a character card, in which case it will subtract a match from your total (out of 500) as a credit.

In regards to players getting free, or otherwise paid for matches at Kumite events, I remember Sega and AM2 giving away cards to a couple of players, Chibita, Hai-JIn(?) and a few more. Those cards were free.

[ QUOTE ]
    GaijinPunch said:

As some of them are WELL outside of Tokyo, they'd need soemthing to compensate for lost time.

I don't picture either of them doing a suit and tie gig, but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the players who are featured in the one/two man kumite type events do live in Tokyo, but given that Sega AM2 has just recently hosted alot of Kumite events within the past couple of months, they are "recruiting" players from a fairly efficient proximity in regards to where the event is held. I think that Heruru was hosted in a Kumite, though he doesn't live in Tokyo, can anyone confirm that though please?

There are a couple pictures on SoJ's site of Minami Akira going to a Kumite event, dressed in a suit /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif, I will try to find one, later.

6. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:
    It is a bit more complex than that though. If Chibita plays 3 matches in row, wins the first, loses the second, and wins the third, he is actually paying in your case for two of the three matches, so that way of judging how much a person has played is slightly inaccurate.

[/ QUOTE ]
    No, using your loss % against total games played is an accurate measure of the games you've payed for. Each credit pays for one loss.

There could be rare unusual circumstances which I'm not even sure are possible : e.g. paying one credit, going on a win streak where the wins are recorded, having to leave immediately after a win, and the final loss doesn't get recorded( by removing the card or what not, as I said not sure if this would be possible).

7. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Why are you arguing with people who play in japan on real VF.net enabled arcades? They live there and play with these japanese players.... so they obviously know what they are talking about....

In the case of freeplay, most of the japanese videos are from special events and tournaments, surely they are free play. If you look at other clips such as Act clips, you will notice they pay for each of the matches...

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

It is a bit more complex than that though.

oops, yeah... I stand corrected. Those are some lazy statistics. Chibita obviously cannot play 10,000 matches in a row, so he is paying for some of his wins in the sense that he might play 20 games one day, win them all (spending a dollar)... then go home, sleep, return, win 20 more (another dollar) ... etc etc.

So we really have no idea how much chibita has spent, it depends on how many games he gets in a session before other demands take him away from the arcade.

If it's of interest to anybody, there was a very interesting article in Wired (online) where they interviewed some of the tetsujin. The original article is dead, but thanks to archive.org you can still read it.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990909163856/http://www.hotwired.co.jp/wiredmagazine/1.10/gamer.html

If you want to do a babelfish translation, link babelfish to:
    http://mysite.verizon.net/creedc/GAMERLegend.htm
    but babelfish is flaking out lately. I really miss cafeglobe (an excellent japanese translation service that gave better results than babelfish... it went dead).

Some highlights from memory ... one of the tetsujin said he had worked hard all summer at a gas station or something to save up 1000 bucks or so for a car. Then VF2 came out and within a month it was all gone.

9. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Heruru lives in Tokyo and uses around 800$ each month for VF4 Evo.
    Most other mayor players are around that as well, when Sega features em in an event they do get payed.

10. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Creed: The question is after a 20 win streak and it's time to go home, can you just up and leave? Or do you 'take a loss' and then leave? Because if it's the latter then your example is still accurate.

11. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    pltan said:

No, using your loss % against total games played is an accurate measure of the games you've payed for. Each credit pays for one loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would defeat the purpose of Sega wanting more people to play at the arcade, as not only in your mind would you be required to pay for each match that you are a challenger as, but those who lost more than those lose less, would in turn have to pay more /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Basically then in your system of VF.Net, the more you lose, the more you have to pay. To me that makes absolutely no sense at all, but again can someone confirm this to us all please? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. EmpNovA

[ QUOTE ]
    Fishie said:

Heruru lives in Tokyo and uses around 800$ each month for VF4 Evo.

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I wonder how much MukkiAkira spends on Evolution.....he has like 17,000 matches played at least....that's alot considering on his LeiFei card Heruru has like what, 5,000 matches?

13. sixtwo

sixtwo Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I really miss cafeglobe (an excellent japanese translation service that gave better results than babelfish... it went dead).

[/ QUOTE ]

So-net utilizes the same translation program (AmiKai) that cafeglobe did. By default, the site translates from english to japanese, but if you use the drop down menus, the only other option does the opposite. The first box is for urls, the second is for blocks of text. Hope this helps!

14. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    EmpNovA said:

[ QUOTE ]
    pltan said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That would defeat the purpose of Sega wanting more people to play at the arcade, as not only in your mind would you be required to pay for each match that you are a challenger as, but those who lost more than those lose less, would in turn have to pay more /versus/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Basically then in your system of VF.Net, the more you lose, the more you have to pay. To me that makes absolutely no sense at all, but again can someone confirm this to us all please? /versus/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the arcades are like where you live and I can't speak for VF.Net in Japan, but last I checked in any arcade in the world I have been to ,for any player vs player game: You pay 1 credit to play, and the winner stays. Whether it's VF, SF , Tekken or Tennis.

15. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That would defeat the purpose of Sega wanting more people to play at the arcade, as not only in your mind would you be required to pay for each match that you are a challenger as, but those who lost more than those lose less, would in turn have to pay more

[/ QUOTE ]

When you win, you get to keep playing without having to put in more credit. If you lose, you must put in more money to play again. So let's say a player put in 100yen for a game. He wins 5 in a row, and then loses 1 match. So the 1 lose he took cost him 100yen. Let's say he put in another 100yen and plays again, he loses right away. Now on his card he has 5 wins and 2 loses. He spent a total of 200yen. Basically by looking at the number of losses, given that the player didn't screw around his records by swapping cards or get free games, the number of his losses is an accurate measure of how much he has paid to play the game.

This would obviously not apply for some of the famous players who might get free games at special events and log those wins and losses on his or her card. If that happens, then you cannot determine the amount he or she spent by looking at the number of losses.

/versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

16. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

we're just talking about money. I think you take a loss and leave as far as VF.net is concerned (a story has it that chibita got a 100+ win streak then backed himself out of the ring 3 times so he could go to the bathroom).

But as far as spending is concerned, whether you lose or or just voluntarily stop playing even while you're winning... you still have to pop a dollar into the machine tomorrow.

17. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

gah... read my second post /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

To put it more simply, no matter how effective you are at winning... if you go to sleep, drive to the arcade, and play, you are spending at LEAST 1 dollar that day. if chibita acquires 15000 wins over the course of exactly one year, he still spent at spent at LEAST 365 dollars. My estimate of 1000 dollars for chibita was probably way low when you take this into account.

18. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

It's possible to lose not to another player but to the CPU (or to finish the game)...in that case the loss wouldn't be recorded.

In your example, let's say after 5-2 the player inserts another coin, gets a win but nobody challenges him after. He loses to the CPU. 6-2, but he spent 300 yen.

So, while it's impossible to tell how much a person has spent on a card, what you can say is that the minimum amount spent is the number of losses.

19. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. I just didn't have the experience with the cards to tell how things are recorded if you just walked away or if you ended up losing to the AI.

Edit: Ice-9 , Your last line that should probably read the maximum he's spent is the number of losses.

Edit2: Hmm, I was trying to account for free credits given to these superstar players. So I guess the losses would be the maximum he would have paid accounting for free credits, and discounting any paid and unrecorded losses (e.g. vs CPU)

20. pltan

pltan Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    CreeD said:

gah... read my second post /versus/images/graemlins/frown.gif /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif /versus/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

To put it more simply, no matter how effective you are at winning... if you go to sleep, drive to the arcade, and play, you are spending at LEAST 1 dollar that day. if chibita acquires 15000 wins over the course of exactly one year, he still spent at spent at LEAST 365 dollars. My estimate of 1000 dollars for chibita was probably way low when you take this into account.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're assuming he went to the arcade every day though, to come up with that 365 dollar amount. Which he may/may not have.