1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Get your drink on! Effect of DP on move properties

Discussion in 'Shun' started by Ladon, May 26, 2007.

1. Ladon

Ladon Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Ladon---
    Now, we all know what happens when Shun starts drinking: he gets more powerful, he gets more moves, and he has a tendency to get rowdy and start trouble. Some of you may have noticed, however, that certain move properties change once he gets liquored up.

As you all know, Shun has a lot of moves. Lots of moves, and lots of ways to apply them. Now, mix that in with the fact that the properties of some moves change depending on how much DP you have... and you'll see that there's lots of room for different properties.

I don't know all the ways that DP affects moves, but I've spent some time in training so I can write this short list of moves that are affected by DP. I'll also throw some speculation in here so that others can go and experiment themselves, and we can go on compiling a list of all the moves that are affected by DP.

In VF4:Evo there were frame differences depending on his DP count, but I haven't encountered any information regarding this so far. I've tried experimenting with this without much luck, but if anyone else can find the information or can find a way to figure it out, post it here!

First off, let's start with the bad news /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
    /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif never become a combo, no matter how much DP you have, Counter Hit or not. This gives even more weight to the mix-up issue I discussed in the first post of the VF5 Shun Di Thread. In related news, even if the third /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif of the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif string hits as a counter hit, the /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif is never guaranteed. Bummer.

But thankfully, that's the worst of it~

At 7DP, hit /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif on a Counter Hit and you'll get a knockdown. However, if you want /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/db.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif to knockdown on a Counter Hit, you're going to need... 32DP!

At 23DP, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif knocks down on a Counter Hit, allowing you to combo with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif. Unfortunately, 23DP comes with an unexpected downside: OUS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif ALSO knocks down on counter hit, and the float is so high that OUS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif cannot be done! The best I've managed to get is OUS /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif, but since the opponent is knocked back rather far and Shun recovers slowly, that's all I could get. Please feel free to experiment and report any other combos you might come up with, because I'm sure this is not the best one~

As you probably know by now, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif combos on mC and MC (minor counter hit, [major] Counter Hit). If you somehow find yourself at 32DP or higher, it would be good to know that on MC, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif gives you a small float, from which you can finish off /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif... but in my opinion, if you land /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif as a MC, you're better off doing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif+/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, and then pressuring with okimizeme. Just a little tidbit.

Lastly, I wanted to report something regarding combos. This information was collected in Free Training against Kage, just so you know.

In closed stance, after hitting your opponent with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif, you can combo with /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/d.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif(/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif) or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif regardless of DP, on normal hit or on MC. In open stance, you'll have to do /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif > /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif if you have less than 8dp, or /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/df.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/k.gif if you do have enough. But, interestingly enough, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/f_.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/b.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif will combo in open stance if you have 18 drinks or more!

Stuff like this is probably not uncommon with Shun in VF5. I'll continue doing my research, and I hope some of you help and can contribute.

I hope this helps some of you. Happy drinking!

2. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    At 38 drinks, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/p.gif is -3 on guard (normally -4 on guard :p)