1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting rid/reworking juggling combos (stun system)

Discussion in 'General' started by GustavoHeisenberg, Jul 29, 2018.

1. GustavoHeisenberg

GustavoHeisenberg Well-Known Member

To improve the aesthetics of virtua fighter animation needs to be redone with the likes of motion matching along with juggling combos being removed - instead replaced with a "stun" system were critical launcher hits (set ups for juggling) leaves a person open for combos.

Motion matching is used in "the last of us part 2" and it looks awesome - Digital Foundry has a video on it. Take a quick Google. https://youtu.be/4i1WCW3B0x8

Essentially this stun system will work exactly like juggling combos do. But it'll look better and who knows maybe game play innovation can come out of it.

2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

What you describe sounds like doa stun system and I hated it. Juggles are fine imo

Jason Elbow and ShinyBrentford like this.
  3. GustavoHeisenberg

Except it won't since the way AM2 will do it, will mean their interpretation won't be clunky. VF6 would use superior physics and even innovate on the punishing "combo" gameplay.

VF6 will never be popular if it doesn't innovate and then do it well. It'll be an improvement if they do it and do it right.

4. Tricky

Innovation is fine. We have stuns. They are called plus frames and staggers.

5. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Nyet. VF is fine.

A lack of slapped-on mechanics is what drawn me into the game. It doesn't need them to attract new players. That should be their choice alone.

Just make it prettier and simplify more things that will make the old men here rant and swing their canes. Maybe forget the ladder.

6. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

Well, with time vf has changed a lot. The combo system may change again with something that looks more "natural" to viewers. I would like to see more links like jacky's 6p+k into a p string. Also Kage and Eileen has that too.
    Also something that really bugs me is the wake up mechanics which hasn't really changed since vf1

GustavoHeisenberg and Tricky like this.
  7. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

I wouldn't mind if it's purely a difference visually. If for example instead of a platep floating on the air it was closer to what happens to Taka, where he falls backwards would be fine imo.

Having said that, I kind of like the juggles too, it doesn't have to be an MMA simulator, it was never meant to be.

GustavoHeisenberg and Tricky like this.
  8. GustavoHeisenberg

There's virtually nobody to play online, the franchise will die without new blood. The graphics have to be really pretty with sexy characters along with being superior.

We don't even have a new VF or even a remaster for god's sake, because the franchise isn't growing.

9. GustavoHeisenberg

I agree, it's truly not an MMA simulator and it doesn't need to be, but it should be more like what arcade-racers are - taking all the cool stuff from the real world and mixing them with flashy stuff that adds to the fun.

10. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Dreamiestboat
    XBL:
    tehmarcerer
    That's what it is! :p

GustavoHeisenberg likes this.
  11. MadeManG74

MadeManG74 Moderator Staff Member Tournament Manager Silver Supporter

That goes for every fighting game after about two weeks unless it's Tekken or Street Fighter, unfortunately. You need to match make on forums/with friends etc to get games.

I agree that Virtua Fighter can grow, and more realistic physics is one avenue it could go down, but I don't know if that's key to attracting new players. As I said, I'd be all for it if they can do it in a way that doesn't impact gameplay.

As for graphics, the game already has the best animations of any fighting game in existence, and it looks almost as good as current fighters despite being 12 years old. I have faith that Sega would be good in the graphics department!
    As for sexier characters, I think making a character sexier than Vanessa would be a herculean effort.

12. GustavoHeisenberg

It could be that tiny bit better and more natural looking - we'd definitely win new fans.

13. GustavoHeisenberg

@MadeManG74

Well I think they could take a leaf out of the Tekken book design wise.

Master Raven > Vanessa
    Chun Li, Asuka, Xiaoyu > Pai, Eileen,
    Kazumi > Aoi
    Nina+Anna > Sarah

Personality wise the characters could use a bit of tweaking - besides Akira, Kage & Jean, they all seem pretty generic.

14. oneida

oneida Long Arm of the Lau Silver Supporter

PSN:
    oneida_vf
    XBL:
    oneida1
    Lion is generic of what? And Jeffry? Aoi?

MadeManG74 and ShinyBrentford like this.
  15. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

First, Why do u keep stating ur opinion as fact? IMO This whole discussion is stupid and it's a waste of time. It's like comparing apple's and oranges or marvel vs. DC. WASTE OF TIME.

Second, the Kazumi>Aoi and nina>Sarah is completely wrong considering Harada admitted he ripped them off the others.

Third, the only thing Raven (a blade ripoff) and Van have in common is that that their black. It would be more accurate if u compare Van to Mordok.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    WolfKing and Tricky like this.
  16. Tricky

You leave Eileen out of this. She is just fine the way she is.

Jason Elbow and ShinyBrentford like this.
  17. GustavoHeisenberg

I find lion's voice work annoying irritating, but he's not too bad. Jeffrey - not a fan at all he seems to be arse. Aoi - looks a bit of joke appearance wise to consider her fighting.

18. GustavoHeisenberg

Because I honestly believe if I was the lead designer, those are objective criticism to have in order to make the game a success thus continue to secure my job had I been in that position.

Not all sentiments/opinions are created equal and usually business realities prove this.

To me Virtua Fighter could stand to learn a lot from Tekken and Street Fighter about presentation and aesthetics, the hidden gem that is VF's gameplay could be shown/embraced to the world if it's done.

19. GustavoHeisenberg

I can't argue with your sentiment but if I'm to be honest the smart money is not with Eileen remaining as she is.

Thinking out loud here:
    I'd have her adopt some lucky Chloe traits, perhaps expanding her otaku charm. Given that she's from China - it'd be interesting expanding her lore. Maybe making her Hong Kongnese could be better.

20. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

So what ur saying is u would be a better game designer than Yu Suzuki.