1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting Up

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by JimmyJames, Mar 28, 2002.

1. JimmyJames

JimmyJames New Member

I've been doing the training mode of the ps2 version and whenever I get to the one where you have to get up quickly without using P+G+K (instead by just mashing buttons) and I have trouble doing it consistently. What's the best way to mash buttons to get up (The thing that works best for me is rotating 360 and pressing P,G,K,P,G,K,P,etc...)? Also how to you roll while you're down? I've tried tapping every direction, tapping the directions twice in a row and a bunch of stuff and I can't roll even though I sometimes do it when I just mash buttons...

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

if it's the one where akira does a dodge attack and then pounces on you... try holding down on the pad while you mash guard only. That'll make you sideroll out of the way.

When I tried using guard + punch, I don't think it was helping at all... the 'official' command to get up is to tap guard repeatedly, and I don't think punch speeds it up. You'd want to use guard + punch in actual struggle situations (when you're left standing but are staggering).

3. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

You need to tap G to roll away.

tapping back repeatedly with GGG: roll away from opponent
    tapping down repeatedly with GGG: roll out of the screen
    tapping up repeatedly with GGG: roll into the screen

I think tapping on P will help get you up faster but I cannot confirm it. (It doesn't make you get up slower, so you might as well do it... /versus/images/icons/wink.gif ) When I roll away I tap the stick in the direction i want repeatedly and tap G and P alternately really quick.

4. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

Additional question to ask, since we're talking about getting up in VF4. Its been plagueing my mind for weeks. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif During recent bouts of play in the arcade, I noticed some several weird things. Not too sure if its simply just me, or if I'm too slow in doing what I was, or whatever.

1) KD, tapping P+K+G. Normally, I would expect that when an opponent does that, whoopie, here comes a free throw. Strangely enough, my opponents seem to be buffering stuff stuff like Kage's Knee, or Akira's DbPlm into my face. /versus/images/icons/frown.gif Either that, or they just seem to be able to crouch and I'd whiff. What gives ? /versus/images/icons/frown.gif

2) KD, u or d+P+K+G. Not too sure about this one, but another observation. Certain times, when I'm playing the chasing game with a Lau, or Pai with the PPP,d+K canned combo, I find that the opponent is able to block the low sweep. Not too sure if its due to the fact that they finished the recovery animation, but then when I tried it again with different timing differences, I find that against some of my friends, they could block, while others could not. Any idea why ?

Its days like this that I wonder what's wrong with me... Sigh...

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

1) KD, tapping P+K+G. Normally, I would expect that when an opponent does that, whoopie, here comes a free throw. Strangely enough, my opponents seem to be buffering stuff stuff like Kage's Knee, or Akira's DbPlm into my face. Either that, or they just seem to be able to crouch and I'd whiff. What gives ?

QR'ing from face down head towards leaves the QR'er in crouch position for a split second. Much like TR'ing from face up feet towards. Hence the buffered knee or double palm. Try using a low throw in this scenario.

2) KD, u or d+P+K+G. Not too sure about this one, but another observation. Certain times, when I'm playing the chasing game with a Lau, or Pai with the PPP,d+K canned combo, I find that the opponent is able to block the low sweep. Not too sure if its due to the fact that they finished the recovery animation, but then when I tried it again with different timing differences, I find that against some of my friends, they could block, while others could not. Any idea why ?

I'm not sure what you mean in this scenario. If you're playing Lau, and you KD a heavy character, and then do df+PPPd+K, the opponent TR's and blocks the sweep portion... is that what you're referring to?

6. Rulakir

Rulakir Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean in this scenario. If you're playing Lau, and you KD a heavy character, and then do df+PPPd+K, the opponent TR's and blocks the sweep portion... is that what you're referring to?

Yes, while the opponent TRs, I'm already doing the canned PPP,d+K combo. Now, what I would like to understand is why some situations it connects, while in others, the opponent is able to block it ? Am I doing it too slowly ? or ?