1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting used to are arcade sticks

Discussion in 'Console' started by Valdimiar, Apr 20, 2004.

1. OffBrandNinja

OffBrandNinja Well-Known Member

My bad, I just remembered the yah YAHHH part of it and ran from there. The paper is getting done, I just need short sanity breaks to VFDC. Otherwise, I might commit seppuku with a frisbee.

2. Valdimiar

Valdimiar Well-Known Member

OK started playing VF a bit more now, I'm playing as vanessa for the moment and I'm getting used to the general game play moves such as evading and timed blocking crouch dashes etc.
    the 3 crimson lancers are easy now
    from offensive [2][K][P][4][P] I'm using this to set up guessng games now and following it with either the takedown, [4][6][P]+[K] or [6][P]+[G] and sometimes [4][6][K][P]. the throw looks good after the [2][K][P][4][P].
    the second crimson lancer
    from offensive [6][K][K][P][4][P][6][P]+[K] I'm using a bit but I can't always get the takedown at the end
    The from offensive [4][6][P][P][4][P] is also usfull.
    [6_][K] is so much easier on a stick.
    I think doing this at the start of a match is a good way to go in to offensive strait away safely
    [4][4][K]+[G] press [G] while holding [K]

3. fjf314

fjf314 Member

Practice, practice, and more practice is really the only way to get used to using a stick, especially if you used a pad for a long time before you got the stick. That's the only thing that worked for me. I also found that fighting human competition seemed to help me, too. Of course I got destroyed most of the time, but I think that it really helped. Maybe when I had to do the moves, I was better able to pull them off than when I was just in practice mode.

4. Seneca_22

Seneca_22 Member

I was a pad player for who knows how long. After finally meeting some people who played in the real tournament scene, I saw that a lot of serious players used sticks. I tried on theres from time to time, with little or no success. Finally last september I decided to start using a stick. I didn't have $100 for Mas or X-arcade and I didn't want to order online. I was stick illiterate back then.

I started on that Pelican Real Arcade as well. The circle restrictor made the transition really easy. I didn't have much trouble hitting my diagonals, I didn't have much trouble with any directions. The only thing I would have a little trouble with was my double taps.

I don't know, part of me really had to embrace the fact I was going to be playing on a stick. I knew I was going ot leave the pad behind. After getting pretty used to it, and playing on higher quality sticks, I wanted to go with a more expensive or at least more well known one.

My second stick was a PS2 SC2 hori. Never got used to the square restrictor, nor the ball shaped top, so I sold it at a tournament. Just when I was about to buy a Mas or X-Arcade, along came a guy who made custom sticks.

Since then I've ordered two sticks from him. The first was all Happ parts, a US based stick. The second stick had all Sanwa part, but a JLW stick like the US teardrop sticks. Still, the Sanwa stuff is just top notch, very sensitive, great for quick reactions for sure.

Hori hasn't done too well from the several testimonies I've heard. I have several friends and know several more on other boards that have just had a lot of button failures with Hori products. Of course, I've also heard plenty of great testimony in support of Hori products.

If you have the money, get a custom stick from my boy at www.byrdo.org. He does some really great work, dare I say his latest stuff compares to Catch22's work?

5. Gemini_Knight

Gemini_Knight New Member

I enjoy using sticks, but sometimes I find myself on pads every now and then. When I was in Iraq, I had a pair of uber crappy small Pelican arcade sticks. They were doing good, but on one stick one of the buttons would go to rapid fire mode all by itself, and the other one was victim to sand. Needless to say, I had to learn VF all in pad, but converting it to stick was easy. I now have the Hori Sc2 stick, but the fear of it malfunctioning keeps me up on my pad skills. I will get another stick in the future, for '05 will be a busy year for fighter games.