1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

God of War 3

Discussion in 'General' started by Dennis0201, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Dennis0201

Dennis0201 Well-Known Member

I can't believe there is no one discuess about this game here!
    Such Incredible animation and amazing sound tracks(DTS) I have ever seen!!

Playing GOW3 is like you are watching an entire movie! I think Baytonetta is one really good ACT game recently but GOW3 is totally beyond.

If I think VF is the best fighting game, and I'll put GOW is the best ACT no question.

I love Santa monic studio! [​IMG] It's all about blood and revenge~

2. SicilianVizzini

SicilianVizzini Well-Known Member

GOW3 Advert

E3 2009/PSN code Demo from October Vs Release Version

Anyone who is new to PS3 might also want to first checkout Heavenly Sword if you like that type of game; it should be cheap and will probably be enjoyed more, if played before GOW3, as the PhyreEngine, which probably powers both, has been significantl enhanced since heavenly swords release.

I could name a few others, and I doubt anyone will start a ModNation Racers thread either when that releases. Everyone is very friendly here at VFDC, but it is still very much 360 biased at present, which is fine; but is why some games don't get a lookin.

3. Feck

Feck Well-Known Member Content Manager Akira

Been too busy with FFXIII and Yakuza 3 to start playing this yet, pretty sure i'll enjoy it GoW 1 and 2 were among my favourite games for PS2.

4. SDS_Overfiend1

SDS_Overfiend1 Well-Known Member

This site is not 360 biased. If that's the case there wouldve been a dantes inferno thread because that is better Heavenly sword.

5. SicilianVizzini

You could well be correct, it might be better than Heavenly sword, I haven't played the DI demos fully.

As for the bias, it may have dissipated now, but I only actually bought a 360 for VF5, because many comments involved statements along these lines.

“I'm not sure, people don't play VF5b now, we all play VF5c”

this is quite recent.

6. MP

MP Well-Known Member

PSN:
    MonkeypunchVF
    Who's that? [​IMG]

7. Griever

Griever Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Griever_PL
    Apparently I am "no one"... [​IMG]

Haven't played God of War 3 yet, but I KNOW I'm gonna enjoy it like no other action game. [​IMG]

8. EmpNovA

EmpNovA Well-Known Member

Best looking game of all time. Bar none. Without question. Kratos looks lifelike. The animations run from 30fps to a furious 60fps in some environments. The sense of scale is unparalleled. This is the biggest game ever. Entire levels are riding on the backs of titans or scaling gigantic mountains. Every animation in the game is flawless, from weapons, to QTEs, to enemies, and bosses, the game is polished. And there are almost no loading times.

The art direction is also the best in the series in my opinion. When Grand Theft Auto III and Final Fantasy X first came to the PS2, those games were able to go in new directions, because of the power of the PS2. GTAIII transitioned to 3D and it breathed new life into the series and made III a groundbreaking classic. FFX took an already established series and introduced 3D levels and voice acting and set a new standard for the franchise. God of War III does this and then some for the action genre and sets a new standard for all games for scale and visuals. The dark environments, the waterfall and rain effects, the fiery depths of Hades, the huge icy mountains, the lighting and reflections off of every surface. The level of visual detail and effort is unmatched. You really get a sense of being in the game.

Where in Metal Gear Solid 4 and levels seem very cluttered. The game designers would box you into tiny areas, load a new section of the level, have you play through it, then load another section. Not with God of War III. You are thrown into a massive pit to fight a god in a boss battle...then that arena collapses into an even bigger area where you fight even more enemies. And because there are no loading times everything feels so seamless.

When I say the scale is unparalleled that is no exaggeration. God of War III takes level building to a place that no other game has gone before. When the camera zooms or pans out and you are shown riding on the back of a titan...and then that the titan is climbing a huge mountain...and that other titans are climbing it in the background...and the gods are also attacking the titans...and that this is all done at some point in real time and not merely pre-rendered. It is pretty amazing. God of War III makes even Metal Gear Solid 4 or Heavy Rain look visually unimpressive.

Events like Icarus ascents (and descents) bring God of War III in a new direction in how you interact with the game world. Even climbing sequences are augmented by entirely new combat mechanics and animations that are very satisfy and refreshing. The puzzles are mostly the same old God of War puzzles but the emphasis is on killing things so I wasn't surprised.

And the boss battles...some of them are worth the price of admission alone.

Best action game of all time? Certainly has a chance of becoming it. I don't see God of War III slowing down anytime soon. The first two games stand the test of time as much as any other game from the PS2's already incredible library. And God of War III might have surpassed even the first two.

Best graphics of all time. Brilliant art direction and sound. Exciting combat and incredible boss battle sequences. Nice plot twists and resolution to the trilogy. And the replay value is sky high because the game is enjoyable over and over in my opinion.

Once every other week I sit down and I beat Super Mario World and Mega Man X 1-3. I've been doing it for years and I never grow tired of those games. God of War III will probably be another one of those games that I beat several times a year every year for as long as I play video games.

If you have a PS3 then you should be playing this now. If you don't have a PS3 then seriously consider buying a PS3 slim or killing a neighbor who owns one.

9. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    I have a broken PS3, I've been meaning to get it fixed for Demons Souls at some point. When i do I'll look into GoW3

10. Dennis0201

I only played demo of dantes, and it's not bad.

11. SicilianVizzini

I've only played the demo so far (last October) and thought it was very impressive, but saying it is the biggest game every by scale; and comparing to a game like Metal Gear 4 isn't a fair comparison on technical grounds. As MG4 has one fundametal graphical difference and if GOW3 had to do that also, then it couldn't look the way it does in this generation.

It is easy enough for people to deduce what the difference is, but for anyone who is blissfully unaware, I won't go damage the awesome illusion that GOW3 provides.

12. EmpNovA

What are you talking about? God of War III is the perfect example of how to make a game from a technical standpoint. It's 720p with AA with huge environments and zero loading times. Zero loading times. How can you even comment on the game when you've 'only played the demo' and not the full version?

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the poorest designed games for the PS3 in retrospect. The game has massive twenty to thirty minute install times for each chapter. You can't play a chapter without having to install the entire thing onto your drive. There are loading times up to two or three minutes for each section of each level that happen fairly often. From start to finish of MGS4 the ratio of gameplay time to loading and install time is probably 3:1 in a quick playthrough.

I don't even play the single player of MGS4 anymore because the loading times are just too annoying. I'd much rather boot up my PS2 or X-Box 1 and play MGS2:S instead if I want a 1P MGS fix.

It's hilarious to see that MGS4 got so many perfect score awards with its loading times but God of War III scores almost zero extra points in reviews for being essentially load and install free.

13. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    I wonder if the game is actually any good...

14. Plague

Plague Well-Known Member

PSN:
    plague-cwa
    XBL:
    HowBoutSmPLAGUE
    Subjective.

Objectivity = freedom!

15. White_Worm

White_Worm Well-Known Member

Here's my take on it:

God of War 3 is an incredible game from start to finish. The graphics are jaw-dropping. The level design is stunning. The attention to detail deserves heaps of praise. And the variety of gameplay situations keeps the game feeling fresh and fun for the twelve-hour campaign. It is among the best-designed games I've ever played.

Having said that, if you don't enjoy beat-em-up's, you may not like GoW3. If you don't own a PS3 but would like to own one, you may have some misdirected hate for a title like GoW3. If you despise violence, quick-time-events, or mythology (for whatever reason), GoW3 may not be the game for you. And thats fine.

Its OK not to like a particular title, but at least recognize the reasons you don't like it. If its one of the reasons I've listed above, say that and be done with it. Theres no reason to go on about "GoW3 sux cuz Kratos iz stoopid!!1!!!@".

I'd also like to point out that the above post is NOT (repeat, not) directed at anyone on this site in particular. This is more a general statement for all opinions about video games which may help prevent hurt feelings and/or flamewars in the future.

Thank you for your time.

16. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Yeah, and you like hair metal...
    Other than being the "most beautiful" game ever, what does GoW3 do new for the action/"beat 'em up" genre (fuck, apply this question any other game of any genre)? Is it just a really touched up shelf-friendly-unit-mover of a sequel (i.e. more of the same you'd just expect) or... what?

17. SicilianVizzini

I didn't actaully say anything negative about the game, I agree that it is an excellent piece of software, and the loading times are a great improvement and loading straight off disc is a welcome option (if potentially killing all the older PS3 blu-ray drives).

My comment was actually to defend the technical achievements of the MG4's graphics engine, which is handicapped by virtue of the genre's requirements, hence it doesn't look like GOW3 or one 15sec section in Uncharted 2 near the game's end.

Of the type of game MG4 is, it has some of the most robust ligting you'll find in a graphics engine, even better than Uncharted 2, which is much newer, but is also another awesome PS3 game (imo).

18. Dennis0201

Thanks for all the replies guys~ It let me knows there are still some people around here love this game.

Just like EMPNovA siad, there is no loading time for GOW3!! It only take about 5 secs when you start your saving files, that's it.

I finished yesterday and it took me about 11 hours accoring to the data. Not a long story enough for me.

Is this the last chapter for GOW? Damn, it brings the players into next game experience level and I can't help myself to judge the fellowing games with GOW3.

Good job SONY!!

19. Seidon

Seidon The God of Battle walks alongside me! Content Mgr El Blaze

PSN:
    SeidonVFDC
    XBL:
    SeidonVFDC
    Shouldn't the developers get the "good job"?

20. EmpNovA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_War_III

The God of War franchise is SONY's creation. Their Santa Monica Studio outfit pretty much only does God of War games at this point (not that anyone is complaining). God of War III is a major victory for SONY.