1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh being pinned down by rapid attacks

Discussion in 'Goh' started by romeo_longsword, Jul 26, 2005.

1. romeo_longsword

romeo_longsword Active Member

I am a new ish player recently started to play Goh.

I always have a problem when figinting fast moving characters such as Brad and Lau.

Basically, I dont feel that I have enough moves and combat thats fast enough to strike them back to keep them under control/stop hitting me.

At the moment, I use [P], [6][P][P] a lot to try to stop incomming rapid attack. But I find that afterwards, I am left with nothing but other attacks, which is very slow comparing with the fast character's attack speed, and usually I would get smakced.

I have read the quick start guide on Goh, but some of the combos are quite difficult to perform under the situation where I am under fast strikes.

For example, the best combos starts with [4][P][K], but its rather slow and I have yet to have been able to flow under attack.

Also with [6][K], the range is so short and the recovery time is slow that I am always left with a bitter ending. The usual combo with [6][K], is to have [6][P],[P]afterwards, but even so, Goh's attack does not knock out the opposition and therefore, left them stike back with their rapid attack again.

Of course, all the the above I try to throw as much as possibile, after all, throwing is where Judo's major.

So the sum it up, I am currently facing two problems:
    1) I find it difficult to get out of situation where I could "turn the table around" while under rapid attacks.

2) I find it hard to find a quick and speedy combos to flow.

I would be greatful for any advice.

2. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

If you are being pinned down what you want to do is use defensive techniques such as ETEG, or ETE and immediate counter attack.

Additionally, go to the movelists on this site check which attacks the opponent uses to pin you down, and see what their properties are on block. There are many strings and moves which, if you block them, leave you with a frame advantage. Knowing when you have the advantage will help you 'turn the table around'.

As for Goh being slow: Consider that his punch and LP are 12 frames and his [4][6][P] is 13. His elbow is 14. Try landing a punch or a LP (which gives you advantage) and follow with elbow, [4][6][P], or throw.
    Think about using low throws against fuzzy guarders.
    Learn when to use the shoulder ram.

Don't worry too much about landing big combos. Rather, try chipping away with safe attacks and do damage with throws.
    And annoy the opponent with [3][K].

Additionally, againts punchers, think about using Goh's punch parry from time to time (be careful not to overuse it, though, as you will get punished).

3. romeo_longsword

Under what condiction would you suggest the shoulder ram? I am still using pad, so the shoulder ram its rather difficult to perfrom.

When I am being pinned, it would be even harder.

4. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Try using the shoulder ram after your [2][P] hits or counter hits at first since you can just enter [6][P]+[K] (you're already crouching after low punch). Then once you've got the hang of inputting [3][3][6][P]+[K] use it after [P] etc.

5. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    [ QUOTE ]
    I always have a problem when figinting fast moving characters such as Brad and Lau.

At the moment, I use [P},[6]{P][P] a lot to try to stop incomming rapid attack. But I find that afterwards, I am left with nothing but other attacks, which is very slow comparing with the fast character's attack speed, and usually I would get smakced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain. I'll add some input. Other than using [P], [2][P], [4][6][P], and [3][P] (elbow) after touching opponents, try using
    [K], [3][K], [6][P]+[K] (forearm) and [4][3][P] (low swipe)

When you feel under pressure, dont forget his sabaki attacks( [P]+[K],[P]+[G] deflects high and mid punches, [4][6][K] deflects high and mid kicks and [3][P]+[K] catches mid punches) and his [8]/[2][P]+[K]+[G] (dodge attack). To stop incoming low punches,
    try [4][3][P]+[K](low punch sabaki), [2_][6][P]+[K] (shoulder ram), [2]/[8][P]+[K] or quick backdash and attack like [4][4][K].

[ QUOTE ]
    For example, the best combos starts with [4][P][K], but its rather slow and I have yet to have been able to flow under attack.

Also with [6][K], the range is so short and the recovery time is slow that I am always left with a bitter ending. The usual combo with [6][K], is to have [6][P],[P] afterwards, but even so, Goh's attack does not knock out the opposition and therefore, left them stike back with their rapid attack again.

[/ QUOTE ]

[4][P]+[K](floater) is very slow. It is best used right after guaranteed situations like when [6][K] (knee) crumples or [4][3][P]+[K] deflects low punches. Also use it when you evade big moves, hit peoples whiffed moves and hitting people out of sidesteps(this will take some anticipation and practice).

If you land Goh's knee and they crumple, go for his floater right after. You need to start it right away. If you have cant time it right at first, try his forearm combo. [6][P]+[K],[P] which will knock them down.

If your have problems hitting his knee period, try using [4][P]. If it hits on counter (you'll see a green flash), you can low throw them right after. [6][6][P]+[K] gets you a throw right after on counter hit. These moves will leave you safer than his knee if they are blocked.

For other big damage attacks, try to master the timing for his hit throws which also must be counterhit for the throws to come out. His hit throws are [6][6][P],[4][P]+[G] and [3][K]+[G],[6][P]+[G]

6. romeo_longsword

Thanks for the replies guys, and Shag's inputs are very inspiring.

I have a lot of partice on it seems.

I have yet another question, i was given a quest that I should do a combo which provide a total damage over 70.

I have been experimenting on this, due to that I am using pad, the popular combos which end with a [2_][6] [P][K] is out of the question.

So far, I managed to make a combo around the damage of 65, which is:

[6][K], [4][P][K], [P], [6][P][K], [P].

But its not quite there.

Also, I have to do it about five times, which mean if a combo is wall dependent, it would take ages for me to complete this task.

I would be greatful for futher advice.

7. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

do a gut or jaw collapse with [6][K] counter, [4][6][P]+[K], [4][6][K] (counter), or alternatively just hit [4][P] on counter (I'm not sure whether [6][6][P]+[K] counter guarantees a low throw).

Anyways, once you do one of those moves, take them to tsukami, and do either his [4][4], [4][6], or [6][4] throws and it shoudl be sufficient.

Also, you should be able to net over 70 damage with [6][K] (counter), [4][P]+[K], [6_][P], [6][P]+[K], [3][P]+[G] (I think the [6][P]+[K] only hits in closed though, and I doubt it works on all chars - but it should for most)

(Also note [6_][P] means hold foward first, then press punch. Many people are confused by this, it is not the same as [6][P], and it will do a near identical attack to [P], except it will advance you forward.

This of course isn't a guaranteed combo, but it will definitely fulfill the quest orer.

8. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Just catch light midweights and lightweights with this one (on counter hit I think): [4][P]+[K], [4][6][P], shoulder ram. does 70dmg and only works in closed foot position.

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just do [6][K] (major counter) > [6][P]+[K][P].

While [4][P]+[K] is a true combo after [6][K], for some reason it doesn't register as one if you were to use your health meter as a guide (white color is supposed to indicate comboed damage, and the white color resets by the time [4][P]+[K] connects).

10. romeo_longsword

Thanks mate, but when I tested the move of:

[6][K], [6][P][K], [P]

The game does not say thats 70 dmg or higher, may be you are saying that, if I counter an incomming move, the damage would be higher?

Additionally, as I have been trying to put all of the above advice into the game, I realise that, after:

[6][P], [P]

I sort of run out of ideas of what move to take, so I usually just get a bit frozen, and ended up doing a [2][P], [2_][6][P][K], just because it seems a safe thing to do.

Could I ask for any suggestion on a good move after [6][P], [P]?

11. KiwE

KiwE Well-Known Member

It depends if 6pp (try delaying the second punch from time to time) is on MC (+5) or not (-1 on normalhit). On MC go for knee or shldrm. On normalhit I guess it would depend on if your opponent has knowledge of this or not, hell throwing at -1 works alot against someone who doesn't know your character but ppl tend to go on spamming against Goh in fear of his throwgame (talking real vs here, not the computer) so after normalhit do backdash k / m-shldrm / 43p+k / 2p (even though your 2p will be beaten by his) on your own, 443p / 2p+k or 8p+k (it evades things better if you evade the right way) for example. I find that if you decide to go for something bigger then your supposed to in a -1 situation it's good to be mentally prepared to RN at once as the usual thing that will stop you is 2p>throw from the opponent.

/KiwE

12. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    [ QUOTE ]
    Akira_PH said:

Just catch light midweights and lightweights with this one (on counter hit I think): [4][P]+[K], [4][6][P], shoulder ram. does 70dmg and only works in closed foot position.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude said that he has trouble doing combos ending in shoulder ram, but not only do you suggest it, it's limited to once stance and you're not even sure if it needs a counter hit or not.

All I'm saying is if you want to jump in giving people advice, at least spend the 30 seconds in training mode to verify your facts.

And I can't believe nobody has posted the most basic:

[4][P]+[K] - [P] - [4][6][P] - [K]

On counter hit, it does 72 pts and works on all characters except the heavy weights. On the heavy midweights (jacky, akira) they can just-recover from the last [K] if in open stance.

13. romeo_longsword

Hi all,

I have now really running into some problems for being pinned down, even though I have developed a lot from the suggestions I have recieved form you all.

My curent "status":
    From the advices you guys has give me, I now am able to do a few forms of moves:

I use a lot of [2][P], [2_][6_][P][K] (which I can now perform the shoulder ram because while doing [2][P], I am half way doing the shoulder ram anyway.)

However, sometimes, after the shoulder ram, I run out of ideas of what high damage moves I can do, so I usually just end the advantage with a [K].

I also do a bit of [6][K], [6][P][K], [P], which does indeed do 70 dmg, additionally, it knock out the dude, giving me a moment of time to think(which I usually cant).

I also try to do a lot of [G], and just wait for the opposition to finish their chain of attacking moves, then give it a good old [P][G].

I also do a lot of single(ish) attack, such as :
    [P]
    [6][P]
    [6][6][P][K]
    [6][P][K], [P]
    [4][6][K]
    [1][K][G]

But all of the above single moves, I could not find a set of good combo moves to go with them after I have performed them.

But most of all, I do a lot of [K], basically, I keep moving back and forward, and keep the opposition at the right gap, and just keep on kicking in a repeating style. It is really boring, but I feel that I am highly lacking the skill to go close.

I feel that when I use the punches, I usually ended up doing a lot of upclose combat, and if I can do well there, I usually ended up doing a lot of damage, however, it can easily be the other way around, recoving dmg instead.

Once I am upclose, I just dont have the reaction to evade, evade throw eacape or what have you, all I could do are the moves I have said above, the only thing I could do to stop incomming attacks are [P], or [6][P], which at higher level, thouse computer AI's just keep in evading, I stand no chance at the moment.

I thought I biggest nightmare would be a full on in comming Lau, but I was on the acrade mode this morning, fighiting Jacky, and that was the moment I ralised it could get worse.

Basically, Jacky has not for one moment stop attacking, he has long reach and fast movements, once I am in mid air, he could unload all possibile attacks, there is not one moment I had time to gather any thoughts.

I have beaten him using the cheesy moving forward and backwards with the [K], 36 dmg a hit, kept me safe from a few rounds, but thats hardly show any skills.

But if i was not doing that, he'd throw me when I am on guard, fussy guarding when he is upclose to me, hit low when I guard high, and hit high when I guard low, I have never seen somthing so angry at me since I brought VF4: Evo last week.

I hear some of you guys have suggested to use [K][P], but I have never been able to deflects anything with such move intentionally so far, even evade is difficult for me, I can not guess when the attack is comming, althought whenever I evade, I try pressing [P][G] as well, just incase I can get a throw in.

So, so far, I feel like i am a very stiff player, and with the explaination above, would you have any futher pointers for me?

14. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    After shoulder ram hits it always staggers and sets up a pretty nice mind game for you. If your opponent can't struggle well you can always follow shoulder ram with [4][6][P] combos for free damage. If they can struggle that, that's when you have to try and start out-thinking them.

Now I assume you know that inputting [3][3] or [1][1] is the same as [2_] even if you have trouble doing it. Well after shoulder ram hits you should pratice doing [3][3][6][P]+[K] to do another shoulder ram. If your opponent doesn't struggle it you'll get a knockdown (but in that situation you should be using [4][6][P]) if they struggle and attack then you'll get a counter hit and another stagger putting them right back in the same situation. They can however just struggle and guard, or struggle and evade/evading throw escape etc.

If they can do this then you need to start changing up what you do. After your first shoulder hits you can still crouch dash forward (so it looks like you might shoulder ram) but instead throw them. If they don't struggle fast enough your throw will whiff here. But if they try to struggle and guard then you'll throw them, and if they struggle and ETE then you still might get them if they guess the wrong throw.

One last thing you can do to beat ETE is to crouch dash and do a delayed shoulder ram to reset the guessing game.

You can do other things too, but practice doing shoulder rams as [3][3][6][P]+[K] so you can do them quicker, and remember if one gets guarded then you need to do throw escapes. If you really can't get the hang of doing [3][3][6][P]+[K] then you can follow your [2][P], [2_][6][P]+[K] with a forward dash and [6][K] or throw to get you used to guessing what they'll do.

Not meaning to discourage you from Goh but from reading your post he doesn't sound like a character that suits you well. He requires quick thought when trying to apply his sabakis and is on the disadvantage more than other characters. Also if you can't do modified moves then that limits how much you can use his shoulder ram (which is one of his only decent moves on normal hit).

If you can't get the hang of him then maybe you should switch to someone easier and quicker like Jacky?

Edit: One more thing about Goh, his [P]+[K], [P]+[G] sabaki,catch is really good for beginning players. Just whore the hell out of it anytime you're at a minor disadvantage and you think your opponent will try any kind of high/mid punch/elbow etc. It's also a decent way to practice throw escapes since there's no fear of whiffed throw at the end you can just go mental trying to do as many as possible (the throw escapes count as the catch part of the move if your opponent doesn't throw). I used it a ton when I was learning Goh, and when you've learned to apply it you can start to ration it so you don't get caught abusing it.

15. Maximus

Sorry about that Myke, I was just real tired from work that day and I was kind of lazy. So to make up for it:

[4][P]+[K], [4][6]+[P],shoulder= (closed foot) 58dmg against all except heavyweights and Akira. On counter hit it's 70dmg, again won't work on heavy.

[4][P]+[K], [4][6]+[P], [P], shoulder= (closed foot) 61dmg against lightweights. On counter hit 73dmg, will work on all except heavy, Jacky and Akira.

As mentioned by Myke: [4][P]+[K], [P], [4][6][P], [K]= 60dmg, won't work on heavy or Akira. On counter hit 72dmg, won't work on heavy.

[4][6][P]+[K], [6][P]+[K], light down attack= 51dmg, last hit can be avoided by exact recovery. Won't work on open foot

[6][6][P]+[G], shoulder= 54dmg
    [6][6][P]+[G], heavy down attack= 52 dms
    [6][6][P]+[G], [4][P], light down attack= 55dmg. The trick is to hold [6_] after the throw then input the [4][P] just as the opponents legs are comming down. The light down attack can be avoided by exact recovery.
    [6][6][P]+[G], [4][P], down throw= 73dmg. Same as above instead now you enter a down throw.
    [6][6][P]+[G], [6][P]+[K], light down attack= 59dmg. Hold [6_] for a sec then enter [6][P]+[K] just as the opponents legs are comming down. The light down attack can be avoided by exact recovery.
    [6][6][P]+[G], [6][P]+[K], down throw= 77dmg. Same as above only you do a down throw instead of light down attack.

16. kungfusmurf

kungfusmurf Well-Known Member

Plz plz plz stop gaving advice on any character especially akira.

STFU read & play the game ALOT MORE w/ real ppl for at least a year until then don't post ever!

17. Maximus

Now WTF do you want, and PLZ PLZ PLZ get yourself a fucking spellcheck. I seriously don't know WTF you want, I just posted this shit 'cause I felt that they would be useful to the guy when he learned the game a bit more......WTF I still don't know WTF got into you? Are you Shang in disguise? Did you like get drunk, got pissed off at someone else, saw my post and then decided to go off on me? I still don't get WTF is your problem. I tried to reason with you so now everytime I see you anywhere on VFDC I am going to insult your fucking ass everytime. I have had enough of your shit, seriously. I don't give a shit anymore why you are doing this, but I have had enough. SO FUCK YOU!!!

18. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Akira_PH, the combos you listed clearly show that you do not know his max damage combos. Your [6][6][P]+[G] throw combos aside from the one ending with shoulder ram are all not guaranteed max dmg combos. This is not to say they are useless, but you see why people are saying what they say.

Besides, Myke already told you that the guy has problems doing shoulder ram. Then you go ahead and post more combos ending in shoulder ram. The input is definitely appreciated, but why don't you do a search for some Goh combos on the forums and copy those. Even I have posted some max dmg Goh combos in the past, some may surprise you.

19. Maximus

My intention was not to post maxdmg combos, only some combos that he may be able to use. And the shoulder combos are not the really complex types. If he continues to practice then he will be able to perform these. And besides theses were just like a bone to throw to him, something to just get by. Shit, I 've seen people post even worse shit than me and nobody says shit. But it seems to me that smurf has it in for me, so in keeping with my word:

FUCK YOU kungfusmurf!!!

20. vanity

vanity Well-Known Member

Yeah hi, this is not a suggestion (since I'm not qualified to give suggestions, even though I do fit kungfusmurf's criteria). I just want opinions.

After shoulder ram, I've started to mix in [6][6][K]+[G] ~ [4][P]+[G]
    Now, I don't think I've ever actually seen a Goh in some other video do this... despite the fact that on paper it seems like a pretty strong option. (Beats guards, evades one way, most attacks [at least I don't think anyone can struggle and attack fast enough, although will still lose to [2][P]], and also slow strugglers [not sure about this one]).

Anyways yeah, am I just blind for never having seen this, or is there some downside I'm not seeing?