1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh Q&A thread

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Combolammas, May 20, 2013.

1. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    That's some good information. I agree it was stronger with 0f throws. It was rubbish in VF4 lol!

Just a few questions.

Is this at the closest distance?
    Was this after a blocked move?

2. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Point blank. P,K~4 on hit from front.

I don't think anyone get's away from it on on sidehit, it's pretty strong there.

3. DK

DK Well-Known Member Content Manager Jean

Lei fei being one, what are the most unfriendly match ups for Goh? :ninja:

4. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    In my opinion, which I think Lammas will share, Taka gives him a little hard time due to the damage differance; most of Goh's BnB's do not work on the fat man and the damage differance between the two characters is like 30/70 in Taka's favor. Goh also doesn't gain any really meaningful NH strings against him, 46P+KPP is alright but you cannot hitconfirm it which means if it didn't hit you're in trouble since the last hit is high and the string doesn't jail. Sure, you can play gimmicks by changing the last hit to either 6P or P+G, but it's just a gimmick, opponent guesses right and you die.

DK likes this.
  5. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Except that that does not help either :D The second hit is always high so a bit of conditioning and Goh goes for a flight after that. You should know, you're punishing it and I'm not even doing it that often.
    The advantage Goh has in this match is Taka is heavily punchbased and Goh has that sabaki. Risky, but decently rewarding. Taka's rising attacks are also susceptible to parries.

I'm not that good of a player, just someone who finds out, tests and compiles info. As far as my opinion goes Goh has varying degrees of trouble with Taka, Shun and Aoi.

vs Taka the risk-reward ratios are often skewed against Goh and you lose 1/3rd of you punishment damage. You also lose 33P whiff punishing (loses like 40% of it's damage vs Taka...). Doing -10 moves on Taka is the worst decision ever and a few of Goh's otherwise key moves happen to be -10.

Also, the smart way to use 46P+K IMO is to just do 1st hit and CH check it. It's kind of funny that this move gives Goh exactly the one thing I've been salty about losing in FS: A 16f CH move with less risk than 6K. Too bad it's for this MU only.

vs Shun his hitbox trickery is poisonous on Goh who lacks rewarding or safe "pick-up" moves. Hitting Shun out of his stances can be tedious and often doesn't hurt much. 66P+G is nice but Shun needs to make a mistake to allow you enough time to do it. Goh's tools aren't the best suited for catching a runaway Shun either. I've always felt I'm better equipped in this match with most of my other characters.

The problem versus Aoi is not a major one. This match is in Goh's favor, but it's quirky.

Aoi's punishable moves come mostly at -13, not -15. Goh has no 13f punisher so jabs (or throw) you get. So now you both have horribad punishers (Goh still has better evade punishing). Aoi matches Goh's damage in throws. Goh still has way better nitaku especially since Aoi sucks at punishing his 6K on evade, but on the other hand Aoi is also equipped with 4K+G forcing you to sometimes play less favorable moves in nitaku. Also Goh's options vs Tenchi force you to throw out some moves you otherwise would not if you expect it. Other than that nothing too special here. Not a bad MU but it forces you to play differently.

EDIT: Also, Akira. This guy has almost everything you have, but he just does it a bit better. SDE does not hurt as much as Goh 6K but it's safer and faster. Throws are almost even in damage. His 14f punish hurts you for about 10 points more than you do him. Both characters are susceptible to evades but Akiras ST game superior...

You win in damage in some areas, even though he's heavier than you are, but his safety in key areas and being able to match or even top your damage outside of 6K vs SDE just give him the longer stick in this MU. Oh, and the GB, godforbid. Goh's parry is again effective in this MU.
    It's not very lopsided but he definitely has the advantage here.

I haven't play enough vs Lei in FS to really say anything about it. I just know that ducking under his 6K result in funny.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  6. ItSupah

ItSupah Active Member

PSN:
    ItSupah
    XBL:
    ItSupah
    When do I use [P][+][K][+][G] and its follow-ups??

7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Basara? My suggestion: never, just forget it's there. Whatever you want to do with it, you have a some other move that is better for that situation. It's redundant in FS.

8. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    The damage is ok ( you've got to succeed the third hit though, you've got disadvantage on the first two hit )I agree with Combolammas here, you could use it on okizeme if you want but usually if you've got a 20 frames window and you think you can hit mid your opponent there are better options here.
    Maybe on reverse nitaku against an abare/delayed throw ( basara or tsukamigaeshi) it can be an option ? I'm not really sure ^^".

9. Seminasuke

Seminasuke Well-Known Member

XBL:
    Seminasuke
    Basara is obsolete. In any situation where it's recommended, there's always a better option (1P+K for abare, K for meaty, etc).

ShinyBrentford likes this.
  10. ItSupah

ItSupah Active Member

PSN:
    ItSupah
    XBL:
    ItSupah
    How about when you're near the edge of the ring and you are at +8 or +9. Would it be a good choice to use Basara then and throw them backwards??

11. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

It's not a terrible idea. Their just better options, but I would get style points if you land it.

12. DK

Just a quick Q: does Goh's "Maho" shoulder have the same crush properties as Akira's Maho shoulder? According to Joseph (Akira player) Akira's shoulders will cause highs to whiff, sometimes mids and occasionally lows will be eaten by it. Just wanted to know if someone has already tested this with Goh's. If not, I may be down to do some on my own and ill let you peeps know.

13. ShinyBrentford

ShinyBrentford Well-Known Member

It goes under highs that isn't a k.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  14. DK

confirmed?

15. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

It's got weird hurtbox. It can go under certain high hitbox mids, sometimes depending on stance. On the other hand it does not have actual tech crouching and it can get bombed by highs. So it's pretty dependant on what you actually try to use it against. Pretty sure the hitboxes on Goh's and Akiras shoulders are similar.

It can go under jabs, Shun's K+G and Taka's 4P+K (stance specific) for example.

16. DK

Interesting. Its good to know that.

17. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    I'm watching the 15th Beat-Tribe Cup and have a question about Haraigeri ([2] or [8][K][+][G]) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBtWgCst7y0#t=1560

For the evade properties I wonder at how max disadvantage you must be so you can succeed the evade? And also it seems stance dependant(of the opponent) or do you have to do it towards his back ?

18. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

I tested it at some point but I don't have the specs written anywhere. It's a lot more reliable in FS and for avoiding linear attacks it doesn't seems to have hurtbox problems going in either direction (but I didn't test it against a lot of stuff).

The evasive window was for 7f or 9f iirc, so if your opponents (linear) attacks active frames happen during those start-up frames you should be avoiding their hit.

It would require a bit more testing for a complete answer however.

19. no_w_h_ere

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Ok thank you !

20. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

Quick testing shows that the evasion window is the first 7 frames. As long as you go in a direction that the move is not tracking you should avoid the attack (tried a few linear and a couple half circular ones).

no_w_h_ere likes this.