1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh vs Jacky's back-dash

Discussion in 'Goh' started by Philoctetes, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Philoctetes

Philoctetes Member

I am a pretty good Goh player, but I recently lost 4 or 5 matches in a row because of a very simple 50/50 game that was played on me with Jacky. The player would do his pk, k and then dash back with either 2k,k or pk. I was really at his mercy. I could not dodge these moves because I was always hit my the second attack. I also had a hard time interrupting him. I had limited success with neutral k but aside from that he really beat me down-- and like I said he was not that great of a player. p, p seemed to work a little.

How do I short-circuit this Jacky shenanigans?

2. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    I think you're talking about p+kk into slide shuffle here. In that case, your first option would be to just duck under the k and punish him after. You can use shoulder for this. Note that since the k is special high you need to actually duck and not use a crouching attack cos it will hit you.

This can be pretty hard for a beginner though. So, if this is still too hard, what you could also try is to interrupt his attacks afterwards. It sounds as though he's using the backdash to hit you after making you whiff, so you need to use either a fast attack with range like neutral k, or a slower launcher as he's coming back in for the attack. Potential candidates for the last one are 4p+k and 33p

Chanchai likes this.
  3. Philoctetes

Philoctetes Member

Thanks. I'll try that in the dojo. I'm beserker level. I have skill enough for that.

4. Krye

Krye French Star Player

PSN:
    KryeMeARiver
    XBL:
    Krye NL
    Online rank is pretty meaningless as a measurement tool for actual skill ingame :)

However, if you can do this, good job! If you can reliably duck high moves in strings and punish them, it will really make you a lot stronger as a player. Also, Jacky is an asshole, so if learning this enables you to kick his ass a little more easily, the world is better off.

5. Philoctetes

Philoctetes Member

I was in the dojo for about 45 minutes with the computer jacky programed to pk,p back dash into pk or 2k,k. Your advise was very helpful, and like I said: I'm a decent player, but it was somewhat difficult to block his first hit, duck the second hit let him back dash and input my attack before he rebounds forward. The good news that Goh's 4,p,k launches him nicely for a big combo.

The bad news is that if Jacky finishes his shuffle with a P he is much quicker and I had almost zero success counter-hitting him from that attack. I suppose the good news is that that attack can be ducked or dodged.

Thanks a lot for your help. My Xlive name is Countfosco58 if you ever run across me.

6. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Best move for Goh to catch backdashes from any range and advantage is 33P. It's safe on block and a mid elbow I think so Jacky can't SS sabaki it either.

7. Shag

Shag Well-Known Member

PSN:
    ShagPSN
    XBL:
    Shagnificent
    ^ Goh's [3][3][P] is -10. Throw punishable FYI.

8. YOMI

YOMI not a legendary game designer

PSN:
    buttoi-man
    Throw is never a proper punish, especially against Goh.

9. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

I like Goh's 33P myself, but I gotta admit I think throw is a proper punish when the opponent is at -10.

It probably depends on the opponent who is throwing, but I think throwing is the correct thing to do if blocking a 33P. Like, Taka's guessing game when he's +10 is pretty scary with his throws!

If we are talking about evading a 33P, now that's a different story...

That said, I'm not super well-versed on Goh. Is he pretty awesome in situations after he escapes most throws?

10. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    I think Yomi was talking about Goh's throw sabaki ([P][+][K][+][G]) in -10 situations (66 P+G,33P,3KP).

Chanchai likes this.
  11. Cozby

Cozby OMG Custom Title! W00T!

PSN:
    CozzyHendrixx
    XBL:
    Stn Cozby
    Goh's [3][3][P] will catch backdashers, but it is punishable by backdash-evade cancels. I would say [3][K] is a better move to use.

Goh can always reverse throws, with the exception to low ones. The only characters with 10f striking punishers afaik are Sarah, DS Vanessa, and Dural.

Completely off topic but against Goh, it is important to know how to punish him. Although the threat of the throw reversal is always there, the guess isn't in Goh's favor, and there are many ways to discourage use of the throw reversal.

1. The throw reversal is very hard to time since there's only a 1f window to pull it off. I would go as far to say, the Goh player "lucks out" when he gets one off. Do not be afraid to use throws to punish, because it's still an OK option if you don't feel like making a guess against his option selects.

2. ^ Goh can Option Select his throw reversal with any action he chooses, because the [P]+[K]+[G] input has to be done while Goh has already been captured by the throw. Ill list some of the OS and how to beat them
    • Block + Throw reversal - Goh can just wait to see the throw animation and try to reverse on reaction. But it loses to guard breaks, and lows. Goh will have a tough time looking for a low when he's worried about the incoming throw animation.
    • [4][P]+[K]+[G] + Throw reversal - Since Goh is going for a punch sabaki, using high damage attacks that aren't single punches or elbows will work.
    • Evade + Throw reversal - This will lose to all circular attacks. Goh won't have enough time to cancel his evade.
    • [6][P]+[K]+[G] + Throw reversal - This one is weird. Goh is completely vulnerable during the roll, but he only risks being normal hit. Launchers will still launch him at normal height
    • [4][6][K] + Throw Reversal - pretty much the opposite of the punch sabaki OS. Hit him with a high damage attack that can't be leg sabakied.

Kirbilot and Chanchai like this.
  12. no_w_h_ere

no_w_h_ere Well-Known Member

XBL:
    nowhere0
    Against backdash, I think [K] is the better (classic) but I'm using [3][K] too (as the [P] follow up can be useful against retaliation ^^).
    About [3][3][P] it's better as a whiff punisher imo .

About the throw reversal when playing Goh I prefer the evade+ [4] [P][+][K][+][G] option, but eventually this would be mind game, if I don't evade you may "lose your turn" if you tried a full circular attack instead of a guaranteed throw attempt.

So yes if you're at +10 against Goh take the throw option, unless you know your opponent can do the throw sabaki consistently.