1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh vs. Lei Fei...disadvantaged?

Discussion in 'Goh' started by hseiken1, Nov 29, 2012.

1. hseiken1

hseiken1 Well-Known Member

XBL:
    hseiken
    I've always had a hard time against Lei Fei dancing. He does lots of damage and is literally a blur of fists with no breaks in strings in sight and to make matters worse, his sabaki's seem to come out of nowhere.

So me and my roomie decided to sit down and pick apart some common Lei Fei tactics in order to beat him. He learned some common Lei Fei dancing techniques quickly and I tried beating him. First with Goh (after seeing the frame data) and then with my sub Lion. Lion pissed in the newb Lei Fei's cereal, Goh was lucky enough to get one win out of 10.

Now here's what I've deduced based on initial testing:

1.) Lei Fei's sabaki's stop all of Goh's best damage options in addition to most alternate less damage options. In sabaki situations (i.e. Lei is BT), shoulder seems to be best option.

2.) Lei's one leg stance is evil as hell against Goh. Not only can you not 2P just for the hell of it, unless you catch Lei Fei in a move, 6k does nothing (and is beat out by EVERY option Lei Fei has from that stance), 2k is so slow that it should be a last resort and the stance even has a circular as well as a half circular follow up to a string starter from it. I found that double evade first to lei's back then to his front (using ECDC) was best way to get around this stance. However, timing is important. Lei can delay and you still eat shit. However, if you are successful, you avoid damage, but follow ups are not garanteed. Best you can can do is elbow for good measure, hoping for CH to get advantage.

3.) Lei's roll (i'm sure everyone has encountered this BS 50/50) is best stopped by 66p. It's fairly fast and leads to side turn advantage on Lei. But reaction is important.

4.) Rocket punch evade -> 33p. If you do anything else, you risk whiffing. You still risk whiffing depending on the charge. Get good at reaction evade or at the very least struggle->fuzzy. Evade -> 33P is best, though.

I feel this match up is noticeable unbalanced. I'd like to hear of other situational tactics or general strats against Lei Fei dancing. Lei's fairly safe, has few breakpoints, and as my roomie showed me today, his one leg stance can literally be used like Goh's 4P+K+G at nearly any time and Goh's primarily a fast puncher and uses them to get inside defenses. DOH!

Looking forward to hearing the responses to this.

2. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    To stop the common 'dance' moves I sabaki whenever I can. If the opponent uses the same strings over and over it gets pretty easy to adapt.
    For the Dokuritsu Shiki stance I just use [K] or [3][K][P], I usually don't let them stand on one leg for long.
    Haven't played in a long time but to counter his roll you listed a good option. Or you guess and crouch (at least online they tend to use the throw quite often).

Sorry for the crummy response but I gotta go really fast. Hope you can at least use some of it

3. hseiken1

XBL:
    hseiken
    I've played enough Lei Fei's to know that fuzzy is best option on roll if you don't have enough time to 66p. Lots of lei players use it on ukemi opponent, which leaves you literally no time to do anything and unfortunately the kick option is a mid. This requires supreme fuzzy.

K isn't faster than one leg stance options. Most Leis I run into are quite quick with that stance. They use it to stop punching or the move into it quickly for other mind games...

4. hseiken1

XBL:
    hseiken
    A side note...Lei roll-> kick is jumping kick which means 46K is useless...just in case anyone didn't know.

5. Jemun

Jemun Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Double-Jemun
    Ah nice. I have to take some time getting back into VF - your information is very good. Seems either I fought against slow Lei's or my memories are a bit dusty.

6. MarlyJay

MarlyJay Moderator - 9K'ing for justice. Staff Member Gold Supporter

PSN:
    MarlyJay
    XBL:
    MarlyJay
    If Lei is rolling towards you, why would you 66P? It seems like it's not the best option for speed ([6][P]) or reward ([6][K]).

The matchup isn't unbalanced imo. All of the things you mentioned hseiken are applicable to pretty much all the cast vs Lei. Just quirks of facing the character aren't they? What is to stop you from just blocking? He's not going to 0f throw you in FS.

7. Combolammas

Combolammas Sheep

No, it's not. You're just trying to sabaki too early.

EDIT: and if he's using roll outside of tech oki, just 3K him.

8. Jide

Jide The Super Shinobi Silver Supporter

PSN:
    Blatant
    You also have the Shoulder Ram 33 [P][+][K] which he cannot do anything about. Sometimes you just have to be patient and pick your spots to attack.
    Backdash 4[P][+][K] can do wonders.

MarlyJay likes this.
  9. hseiken1

XBL:
    hseiken
    I'm a sucker for side turn, though. Any obvious chance for side turn antics, I'm going for them. :)

I'll give that a shot. I think there's some sort of mental block about the way he fights in my head where I 'see' him being hit able with a PK, but then I get trounced and then I don't accept it. :(

10. hseiken1

XBL:
    hseiken
    That would have to be a sloppy Lei to allow that to happen me thinks, but I'll keep it in mind. As for the roll->kick, guess my timing just sucks. I'm not looking at it as an option because of this. But still good to know.

11. phanatik

phanatik Well-Known Member

XBL:
    I phanatik I
    Keep in mind that while in stance, say Doku, since you seem to have trouble with it, you can throw; Lei cannot throw escape out of stance.
    Where Lei has an advantage, if you will, is being able to seemingly continuously attack. But then, every character has their personality about them. From a Lei player pov, I try to condition my opponents to guard...a lot, and mix things up.
    You can spar with me any time...
    I hope to see you up at Brian's place this coming January.

hseiken1 likes this.
  12. VFnumbers

VFnumbers Well-Known Member Content Manager Lei

PSN:
    VFnumbers
    XBL:
    VFnumbers
    (scenario 1) lei use 6k enters koko stance(backturned stance) lei mid k can sabaki low attacks like half circular lows, 2p. and its his fastest option 14/ 15 exe i think in that stance. use goh 46k to neutralize that move but lei P sabaki can beat it, or evade and punish, guard puts lei at disadvantage at nehan stance.

(scenario 2) lei enters koko from 6k decides to use p sabaki at slight disadvantage to counter goh 46k sabaki, use 2p to ch, go for gold with the shoulder ch, or guard which leaves lei in nitaku situation.

so far i think its right goh 46k > lei k> goh shoulder>lei p>goh 46k

(special scenario) lei enter koko enters 2/8 p+k+g(koko to hai stance, with proper timing evades goh shoulder, goh 46 k. Use goh half circular, delayed attacks to beat it, strings that track

(special scenario 2)lei enters koko stance with 6k cancels koko with Guard ( goes to backturned), use any attack options quickly it takes a while to pull out leifei bt k+g high circular to beat evades

hseiken1 likes this.
  13. hseiken1

XBL:
    hseiken
    Well, assuming my situation allows, I'm definitely going to be there and at the regionals. Only unforeseen circumstances at this point could keep me from going.

phanatik likes this.