1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Goh's f, f p+g?

Discussion in 'Goh' started by b4k4, Oct 19, 2003.

1. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Playing yesterday and today, I noticed that the animation for this throw seems to have some interesting properties. It looked like I was going through striking attacks with it. This happened twice, and I saved the replays. It looks like Goh ducks under high attacks during the animation, then threw them as their whiffed move recovered. Is this in fact what was happening, and has anybody seen this before? Sorry if this is old news, but I found it quite surprising, since CreeD said that the [6][6][P]+[G] throw didn't have any special properties in his quick-start guide.

Anyways, I'm hoping somebody can clarify this for me, since it seems like it could be a usefull tool, in some situations.

Thanks.

2. catharsis

catharsis Well-Known Member

I've seen that before too.. I think the throw is one of those pseudo-catch throws like Vanessa's low throws... it IS technically a catch throw in that it can go through certain attacks, but it still has an escape.

3. y45hiro

y45hiro New Member

i played as Goh most of the time, and when i saw someone charging toward me with ppp & such, i just use this throw. won't work most of the time though, dunny why

4. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    Because your opponent is striking. You know, the most basic rule of the game........

Strike>Throw
    Throw>Guard
    Guard>Strike

5. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

Yeah, that throw have a tendency to go through many attacks, not even just high attacks. This applies to most other catch throws such as wolf, kage, sarah, akira's etc... Goh is the only one that can be escaped though.

6. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    Taken from CreeD's (excellent) Goh guide:
    [ QUOTE ]
    *f,f+P+G [27 pts] - It looks like a catch throw, but has no priority over
    attacks and is escaped with f+P+G. It has a horribly slow windup animation
    but has better range than many other throws. You can follow up with a pounce
    or attack to make this OK damage - somewhere in the 55 point range. It's
    worth trying after staggers and successful shoulder rams because of the range.
    Followups: Easy - u+P. Harder - crouch dash, shoulder ram (FC,f+P+K).
    Wolf and Jeff only - K+G. Not Guaranteed but damaging - f+P+K (slams, but
    the slam can be tech rolled) --> ground throw (ground throw is escapeable).

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is this still accurate, then? It just struck me as odd, because CreeD had said it had no priority over striking attacks. Confused me a bit. I always suspected it had special properties, given the very different nature of it's animation. Thanks for the clarification, guys.

7. BMF

BMF Well-Known Member

Creed made a mistake, no big deal.

8. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    What attacks have you seen it go through? When I use it I tend to get nailed if the opponent is striking, like it isn't a true catch throw or something. Aside from high attacks (since it ducks under them) what else have you seen it avoid?

9. b4k4

b4k4 Well-Known Member

PSN:
    SoundReason
    I, personally, was only going under [P][P][P] type strings, it seemed. I'm not sure about the ones Srider was talking about. There was one attack it went through that may have been a mid... I'll check the replay later.

BMF: It wasn't a call-out, or anything. I was just a little miffed when that happened, is all. No offense meant to him.

10. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Just guessing here: catch throws have different windows where the amount of frames that the "throw" execution is active and will beat attacks. Wolf's [9][P]+[G] catch throw feels like an example of where the window is quite wide once the throw executes, whereas Goh's [6][6][P]+[G] is one that is narrow and hence, "no priority."

11. Pai_Garu

Pai_Garu Well-Known Member

I play mainly Lau and I've had Goh's catch throw go through lau's [4][6][P], [1][P]+[K], [P], [WS][K], just to name a few. This usually happens when Goh does the catch throw on a TR or after his shoulder ram stagger.

12. Elite

Elite Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Koenraku
    After the shoulder ram stagger is where I mainly use it but my opponent is usually Jacky and any mids he tries seem to work. Oh well.

13. SenoB

SenoB Well-Known Member

Which move is the [1]+[P]+[K]? The weird ducking rear hand gut punch? Anyway... I've used Goh for a while now (about 1000 matches versus CPU, maybe 600 or so against people) so while I may not be an expert, I just can't seem to use the throw as a catch throw... I believe the "catch frames", if they really exist and it isn't some stupid coincidence, are near the end of the throw animation... making it useless... since the beginning animation should be where they are, as is, it requires you to anticipate the next move your opponent is going to do (hopefully not a throw, which eats your throw) and get the right timing, and start the throw way early. Goh needs some reworking... while very nice I think he needs some better moves (like a good replacement for his high [K]+[G] moves and maybe even a different stance or at least some sort of a set counter (say a counter to a multi throw? and the tsukame doesn't count, cause its technically a single throw). It would be nice to see a much more throw based character in both Goh and Aoi, since thats the way their styles really are... but whatever, doubt it'll ever happen.