1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Good Lion techniques... :p

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by YuniYoshi, Apr 9, 2002.

1. YuniYoshi

YuniYoshi Well-Known Member

I would like to know what kinds of moves and techniques are
    popular with good Lion players. I have learned quite a few combos and techniques with him, but I think it would be interesting to see what others had to say. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

Also I am at work so I can't really try this, but how do you do
    the kick move that makes the "swoosh" sound and what is it
    good for.

Also what are some good tactics against a hyper offensive Jacky?

I am getting quite good at ducking under a high punch or kick and instantly popping up for the throw (works GREAT against Kage, but crappy against my friend who uses Jacky).

Also what are some "cheap" moves to use against CPU players?

Before you jump down my throat, yes I did a search for previous Lion topics and there weren't any good ones from what I could see. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

2. nycat

nycat Well-Known Member

Re: Lion

Can't help with the cheap cheesy CPU stuff. Check out the Lion Dojo here at VFDC for good techniques with Mantis! <font color=black>The Brotherhood of Lion</font color=black>swoosh? <font color=white>df+K+G</font color=white> is a terrific round opener against a heavy weight like Jeffry who starts the round w/ high punch consistantly...also try it after you knock your opponent down as they are rising w/ mid or high kick. Have you explored the dojo yet? How about the films of great Lion players like Jason Cha, FeixaQ, kbcat and chibita? Go to media and check out the <font color=orange>CreeD</font color=orange> ftp site. Have you tried google search? swoosh? could be d+K->K+G?
    if it is you might try: d+K->K+G-G->FC_f+P->! or maybe: f+K+G->f+G->db+K+G->u+P at the arcade it is so loud, so I pay little attention to sounds and at home I generally play with the sound at zero.

3. YuniYoshi

Thanks for the reply! Any more would be appreciated. I will definitely try some stuff from the Lion Dojo tonight.

4. GaijinPunch

GaijinPunch Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is, FF+K (*NOT* KK) then the possibilities are open. PPP, u+P+K, so on and so forth. They usually

You want to intimidate someone?

FF+K, d,db,b+P, FFKK --- nice one!

5. YuniYoshi

I will have to try that on Sunday when I beat Blonde_One's sorry ass. /versus/images/icons/wink.gif j/k Blonde

6. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Think of Lion as a 50/50 character.

He attacks fast but recovers slow. Also his moves are main 1-3 series and the attack levels are simple.

Use Lion purely on a Mid/Low/Throw basis. Make every hit count and press the advantage.

Lion is probably the most balanced character in terms of mid and low attacks. Mid circular attacks are very rare and Lion has both Mid and Low circular sweeps.

"ff+P" and "b,df+P"
    is another 50/50 scenario and both give crumbles for extra damage. Both are non-counterable but are linear.

"f+P" , "df+K" , "df+P,P"
    these mid attacks have good range and are very fast. They are also hard to counter.

Meteor Punch: qcb+P
    is also a brilliant sabaki. Blondie uses Jacky so beware of the Beat Knuckle, but you will beat his elbow, jabs and knee.

Basically with Lion think simple. Its always 50/50 when you attack so change the odds by how you play.

7. YuniYoshi

The way I play is very aggressive. I am always looking for an opening to abuse. And you better believe that if you miss that high kick I will be up in 1/30th of a second to grab you and stomp your ass into the ground.

Unless you are Jacky, you better hope you never get hit when I am getting up from the ground or you will be in a world of hurt.

8. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Oh I also forgot to mention..

Scenario:
    Lion blocks a low attack or Lion has just connected a low attack.

In the above scenario Lion cannot elbow from crouch, his D,f+P , f+K and df+K are simply too slow to connect. This is Lion's main weakness.

Although you can modify an elbow via a quick buffered dash G-cancel its a good way of analysising Lion's strengths in the low attacking department. So you have to dictate when the opponent ducks, stands, dodges or attacks.

9. YuniYoshi

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. But what is buffering because I can't find any info on what it is anywhere. I know how to play the game and maybe I am already doing it. Could someone explain buffering to me?

10. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Yes the swoosh moves are:

Mid:
    f+K+G

Low
    df+K+G

Both kicks are punishable IF blocked. So depending on how lucky you are you can win with this move.

They are both full circular so they cannot be dodged. If you opponent is inept at dodging

ff+P
    b, df+P
    are better options.

11. ken

ken Well-Known Member

Re: Lion: buffering

OK.. lets take Lions

D, f+P
    D, f+P+G

Both of those moves must be performed from crouching.

To quickly crouch or stand dash buffering is important.

The technique is to input "df,DF" to execute a dash. This can be done during the end of your previous attack or guarding. You can use db, f or b as well.

Say you wanted to jab, dash out of range and upper for a MC chance.

the inputs are:
    P - db, DB - f+P

Say you wanted to low punch and then elbow:

inputs are
    d+P - f, F - f+P

You can tap while you're holding down on guard as well. This is useful for say Akira's "f, f, f+P".

12. YuniYoshi

Re: Lion: buffering

Thanks for the info! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif