1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

got the VF4 Evo clip...

Discussion in 'VF.TV' started by CreeD, Jun 11, 2002.

1. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

...naturally I get it when I'm not anywhere near the PC that houses my FTP server, but have a look there later on anyway /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

I may also clean the movie up with tmpgenc or something, it's REALLY dark.
    Edit: cleaned up. It helps a lot to be able to see things.

New junk:
    Backgrounds get the pallette swap treatment.
    Akira: I think I'm seeing bamboo in the BG through the windows, like VF3. Maybe wrong. The streaming-sunlight effect looks stronger than the daylight seen in the current version.
    Kage: Is at night. Should be nice.
    Jacky: The tiny patch of sky visible here looks like it has clouds, like overcast late day. Helicopters and overall feel seems the same.
    Sarah: Can't spot anything new.
    Wolf: Where the overall theme color of the stage was blue/green before, it is now light brown.
    Jeff: Sunset, pretty yellowish/orange clouds in the BG.
    Pai: Not shown.
    Lau: Rainy, with a nice grey cloud background and a grey haze over everything. Hard to say if it's actually RAINING or not during the fight, but I suspect it is.
    Shun: No immediately noticeable difference. Too daaaark.
    Lion: Hard to see with all the camera whirling, but I think everything outside the ring is different. I'm seeing a tall square gothic castle with towers on each corner, a tree with no leaves, and some snowy hills with evergreens.
    Aoi: Dunno.
    Lei Fei: It's now midday and sunny. Rather than being too yellow, it's a generic blue sky. It seems like these stages should have been reversed... the blue sky as the 'normal' VF4 stage and the yellow tinted version as the Evo.
    Vanessa: Hardly shown. I can see the sky is pale and cloudy, not utterly dark.

New intro CG - Lion does eddie gordo-like handstand twirls. Akira does the usual elbow posing stuff. Shun di, I kid you not, breakdances with lots of leg flares or whatever they're called. Kage does hoppy crescents and is generally whirly. Sarah does a crescent kick and a bit of FL stuff, including the FL reversal, then adopts a JKD fighting stance.

New moves!
    Akira: I hate to see it, but I think I'm seeing a canned sgpm --> DE combo. Definitely some sort of 2 hitter ending in DE. We also have a new 2 hitter shown after a shrm - A standing knee (looks just like the second hit of the AS3) followed by an elbow drop (looks like jeff's b+P). The elbow drop slams during the float.
    Also, the knee is shown hitting independently, and it floats. Another new attack: Akira sort of ducks in close and delivers a body blow, then quickly skips back. This is shown baiting lei fei into a reaction and then akira crouch dashes into that sgpm-DE combo. Think of the second hit of akira's PP, but a rushing attack.

Jacky: some sort of canned punch/elbow combo, it reminds me of d/f+PPP but the final hit is an elbow strike that causes the same flipover animation. Pounce.
    Jacky is also shown in the midst of the 'new moves showcase' doing a very generic knee, P, shot knee, kickflip combo.

Aoi: LOL! bodycheck reversal! She sort of looks like she's blocking the bodycheck, then she plants a quick knee in his back and proceeds to flip him over her shoulder, same animation as the D/F+P hit-throw. It's hard to see, but I swear I also see akira's b,f+PK getting reversed. Same over-the-shoulder flip animation. Then we have a reversal of akira's QCB+P. You'll never guess what the animation is. It looks like aoi has been made capable of reversing any attack, including 2-handers.

Lei: is shown doing something that looks a little like kage's ..??? .. the move where he steps forward and does a horizontal chop, it pushes you back far if it hits. It also looks a lot like ling in tekken 3 doing b+1 (I think). He sort of holds his hand out for a half second in a deflection pose.

Wolf: Face down, head towards pickup is shown going smoothly into backdrop (his back throw). The damage is maybe 30 points. This is after a f,d+K mc. I guess a nice alternative to pouncing.

Pai: A forward flip attack with both legs that looks similar to f+K+G (maybe a new animation for the old move?) ... she is left backturned. From the backturned position she does the same attack twice, it doesn't turn her towards. It's a sort of half turning slap to the belly. Looks a little like Tk3 ling's d/f+1. Also seen after this move is a hooking TT kick that's very similar to ling's back turned 4, and also scrapes the opponent off the floor in a situation where the flip attack knocked down. Also of note is pai interrupts lei fei's arrow punch with something that looks like u/b+K, but has a different, quicker animation. Sort of a grounded version of Kage's d/f+K+G.

Lau: A violent uppercut, followed by his b+P elbow drop.

Sarah: a kick to the shin with one foot followed by a typical FL n+K. Maybe a new way to get into stance quickly.

Nothing else in the way of new moves to report. Sadly for vanessa players, she's shown in the midst of all this new stuff doing a generic lightning elbow -->PPK combo.

New modes:
    Quest and 'scramble'.

Quest looks like you're presented with a specific challenge for beating your opponent, and as a reward, you get a treasure chest. It's almost like the same system you use to acquire the weird treasures now, except the game tells you the condition prior to the match, and the condition is shown at the bottom left or right corner during the bout. Having no japanese, all I can see in one mission is: KO 2(something).. probably win two rounds? Another has "50" in it. Maybe something about 50 pts of damage, or guarding/hitting 50 times successfully.

Scramble is less clear. You get a "title match" screen before the fight, like you would if you were on the verge of promotion/demotion. Then on the bottom right corner of the screen is a bunch of text during the match. After successfully completing the mission, there's more title match kanji with a picture of a glowing treasure chest and the words "player 2". So I guess pl.2 won an item, yaaay!

The possible Sad News:
    There's a section of the demo that says "new challengers" and during this you see blurred fighting in the background while "Challenger Comes" is in the foreground. To make matters worse the blurred BG is darkened.
    I remember saying a while ago "ahhh they'll never make new characters." Well they made new characters, but it looks like my suspicions about recycling may have been correct.
    The hooded character does aoi's 3/4 circle throw.. ending with a stomp on the face. I also see one of shun's b,f+P strikes followed by lei fei's knee, then lei fei's low kick. I see a new-ish generic shoulder slam throw. Then we have the kickboxer holding wolf and doing repeated knees to the groin. His ground attack is jacky's soccer kick. He does jacky's b,f+K+G without the wiggle animation at the end. In his alternate outfit, bare skin + boxer shorts, he does kage's helix (or maybe it's vanessa's lightning elbow) into a canned kick that looks like kage's jumonji K.
    In short, I can't see anything new. I hope that changes.

2. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the analysis Matty. Hope to see this on your FTP soon. ^_^

I think your comments might have worried some people though... about recycled moves and whatnot. Just keep in mind that this is a beta version and this is just from SEEING a movie, not playing the game. You shouldn't jump to "OMFG this is gonna SUCK" conclusions right away.

3. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

OMG This is gonna fucking suck big time .

Theyre turning VF4 into TEKKEN .

I have one less reason left to live .

4. Adio

Adio Well-Known Member

I thought you were kidding when you said the clip was dark but In the last three hours I've joined Gamespot complete and downloaded the video and I could barely make things out. what you said is indeed true from what I could see.

Sarah's new move looks great (good damage) and does indeed seem to take you into FL. The new kata win poses were nice too (espcially Sarah's who does a high kick into a back kick followed by a Jacky style inside crescent kick which ends with the FL sabaki and some sort of hand movement).

5. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I think your comments might have worried some people though... about recycled moves and whatnot. Just keep in mind that this is a beta version and this is just from SEEING a movie, not playing the game. You shouldn't jump to "OMFG this is gonna SUCK" conclusions right away.

I didn't say omfg it's gonna SUCK, just that the moves looked recycled. There wasn't much implied there either way. I think you came up with the OMFG it's gonna suck on your own. Which is a pretty logical conclusion to make when you hear about move recycling. But anyway, recycling hasn't put a dent in the playability of a dozen Capcom games.

The only time the movelist changed really really violently from an alpha to a later version is VF4A, which went from no-Vanessa to Vanessa. In this case they were showcasing the new characters, and showed 90% recycled moves (I'm still up in the air about the one bland throw, it was basically Kage's P+G) ... if you're gonna show off and get people excited and you have dozens of moves to choose from when making this promotional movie, why choose moves most people have seen before?

6. DLC

DLC Member

It may be possible that they're not done w/ the animations for the new moves so recycled moves are used as placeholders with diff frame times and damage. I remember viewing some early VF4 footage and watching akira doing a lei-fei throw. The skeletal animation system is prob advanced enough such that they just need to throw the new animations in later when it's done. Sides as long as the characters play different it shouldn't matter as much.

As I can't see the movie, I can't say, but more then likely AM2 is threw together the demo to get some momentum as well as get some playtesting in. Who knows, maybe Shiba will show up /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

my 2c
    DLC

7. OrtizanimationZ

OrtizanimationZ New Member

where can I see this clip? im really excited about the upgrade! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Fishie

Fishie Well-Known Member

Ah so youre NOT an editor from some undisclosed gaming publication/website who wants it so he/she can get credit for it right ?

9. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

download the vf4 evolution clip here:
    VF4 Evolution Clip
    I d/led it from vfzone.com and I assume this is the video that Famitsu had on their site. My server/connection isn't that great, so I hope someone will mirror it.

It's in Windows Media 7 format.

10. OrtizanimationZ

OrtizanimationZ New Member

Ah so youre NOT an editor from some undisclosed gaming publication/website who wants it so he/she can get credit for it right ?

umm no /versus/images/icons/grin.gif and thanks for tha' clip /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

wow that clip was bad ass, way cool, so does it come out in arcade first? is there even gonna be a home version /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

12. DeathCom

DeathCom Well-Known Member

Yeah this is scheduled to be an arcade game first (still Naomi 2). Hopefully it too will come home (and hopefully maybe around Xmas or Jan 2003) for thats the only way most of us will see it... well maybe arcade operators will change their minds now that VF4 on PS2 was successful. I just hope this isnt simply to counter Namco's release of Soul Calibur 2.

Question is, will this be on Xbox, PS2, or both this time around? Personally, PS2 took a good shot, it fell short of arcade perfection by a fair sight. Id like to see the Xbox hardware go at it. It is afterall much closer to what a Naomi 2 is to begin with.

-DeathCom

13. jackybrothas

jackybrothas Well-Known Member

dang i couldn't believe it till i saw it now i believe it (it=the vidclip of vf4evolution)

and just some useless facts i would like to add ::::::::

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Lion does eddie gordo-like handstand twirls

[/ QUOTE ]
    and that's what ya call a 1990.. it's coo cuz he doesn't push off with the other hand to spin which is rather difficult to do.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Shun di, I kid you not, breakdances with lots of leg flares or whatever they're called

[/ QUOTE ]
    shun jumped into one windmill to a swipe and landed in a pose/freeze. sooooo weird to see that from a really old man hehe

14. BK__

BK__ Well-Known Member

Sega are turning into Capcom, can't they complete VF4 the FIRST TIME ROUND!?.
    ...save updates for a sequel for goodness sake. /versus/images/icons/mad.gif

15. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

guys i dont know if you can call this a "beta"....its probably the "finished" form of the original game they didnt have time to finish. then they saw how popular it was then were able to finish it....but wtf do i know, i'm just speculating.....the new guys do look a little tekkenish, but what i want to see is the changes to the other chars.....to me the vid looked like the gameplay was sped up a littl, but again i am probably wrong, maybe its my connection......either way i am looking forward to NOT playing it in the US arcades......lol

16. Zero-chan

Well, anyway, folks... if you haven't already, snag the IGN clips RAR from vfzone.com and watch 'em. though the play is super-duper-scrubtacular, you'll see more of the new charas than in the trailer, and see that they do indeed have a lot of new stuff. The onyl thing I saw that REALLY looked recycled was Brad's throw (looks similar to Vane's MT P+G). But then again, since we don't know any of its properties or anything aside from what's been shown in the movies, it's hard to judge. I think that should assuage the fears of "OMG Sega's turning into Crapcom!" a little.

17. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC
    what program/plug-ins do I need to watch RAR files?

Spotlite

18. death_raven

death_raven Well-Known Member

its a business thing, since a lot liked playing VF4, they figured they'd make it better, then after that the fifth one comes, and guess what, this game looks so good that they're making gamers look forward to the fifth VF.

anyways, did you guys notice those additional moves they have?

that's just way cool, although we will have to adjust to it since we're already use to their capabilities now, but still, its a great thing.

19. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

RAR is a compression format like Zip. Look for WinRAR or any similar program on the web to extract the file.

About a year ago (no, I don't expect anyone to remember), I wrote a big post on RAR files explaining what they are and the common format (and appeal) of them. That was when a Taiwanese site was hosting rm files of the First Beat Tribe Cup and distributing them through RAR files.

Anyways, the movies are in Quicktime format. The RAR file includes a Quicktime 5 update I think. The total file is around 65MB (the movies).

I don't think you'll be too happy with what little you see of the Judoka... but I'm keeping in mind that it's somebody trying to figure out how to play him, while trying to poke with him.... which doesn't look like it works well. He almost seems dependant on reversals and throws (as one would expect), so it looks sort of pathetic when somebody is trying to high punch poke and knee with the guy. I can't wait to see how they implement him though. Lack of the player's ability to play the character is most likely the reason the clip doesn't look appealing at all--as opposed to taking it as a representation for him.

-Chanchai

20. Zero-chan

Considering this is IGN, I don't think we're expecting much in the way of gameplay quality being shown in the movies.

BTW, a stupid little detail: Gou has a "J6" tattoo in vfevo10.mov. Neat.