1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Grandlink Square: tomorrow (Sat 16 Feb) pm

Discussion in 'Local Scene' started by Pinkgirl, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl Well-Known Member

Will be going down to Grandlink Sq's arcade, thanx to a recommendation made by someone on the forum who said it was 5 rounds per match (wow!) @ 1 credit.

Went down to the place yesterday (14 Feb) and it was closed (Chinese New Year)! /versus/images/icons/frown.gif It only reopens starting tomorrow.

Can't wait to check out the machine(s) there! /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif I should be there from early afternoon.

The place is open from noon to midnite.

Btw, see post titled "Singapore Feb 16 - 26"....... if the Grandlink Sq machine is good (I'll post feedback on the environment + machine + quality of joystick n buttons tomorrow night) maybe u all can go down on Sunday pm to play. Sure beats playing @ Bugis with just TWO rounds per match for the same amount of goddamn money.

2. LAU Abuser

LAU Abuser Well-Known Member

5 rounds for competition defeats the purpose of challenging. 5 rounds of CPU will kill every cell in u. Dun believe it?> After tomorrow's play, you'll swear you'll never touch VF4... at least for a week or so.

Ppl choose certain arcades with several reasons... Value for $, good controls, accessibility... But its 'crowd' that VF challengers mainly go 4.

3. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Hmm, I really don't understand the allure of 5/9 rounds. It's waaay too slow when it comes to challengers taking turns. I'd much rather play 3/5 in any event.

4. Pinkgirl

5-round matches reduce the possibility of a player beating his opponent by pure luck.

Basically the more rounds you have per match the fairer it is.

2-round matches are ridiculous. 3-round matches will do I guess. =P

But they're not that good.

And at the end of the day, I still want value for my money. LOL /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif (Hey, not everybody has a PS2 ok!!!!! /versus/images/icons/wink.gif)

5. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

5-round matches reduces overall challenger interest, if you ask me.

I'd never stick around and wait for my turn if there are just 6 players taking turns on one 5-round machine. The average Daioh clip is 2mins long for 3/5... extend that to 5/9 and you wait approx 3.5mins per match. That means that if you lose, you wait nearly 15 minutes to go again? Yech. By the time you play again, you're going in "cold" and more likely to lose again.

Value for money is only one factor; what matters more is a good challenging experience, and you just don't get that on 5 rounds. There *is* a reason 95% of Japanese arcades have standardized VF4 to 3/5 vs challengers, you know. (Check out this URL: http://www.joy.hi-ho.ne.jp/d13492/tenpo.htm )

6. Pinkgirl

Well I guess you do have a point there. No one likes waiting around. Even though the match would be fairer (5 rds vs 3 rds).

So I suppose a good compromise would be a 3-round match (relatively fair + less time-consuming).

I just can't understand how anyone can play vs. on a 2-round-match machine tho'!!!! Before you can say "Who's your daddy?" it's over! And make one mistake, and it's.... K.O.... RIP!

7. Yupa

Yupa Well-Known Member

We had a chance to play a lot on a VF2 set at best 4 out of 7 once, and I would say the wait was too long... 5 out of 9 to win would be way too long a wait~~ way too frustrating. 3 out of 5 is perfect IMO.

8. Genie47

Genie47 Well-Known Member

It will indeed kill play interest. Winning by pure luck doesn't matter at all if you are looking at casual matches. But for competitions, you should have seeding and direct elimination rounds to reduce the luck factor. If there are more than 8 players, it is recommended to introduce repechage. Check my post on tournament running for details.