1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Great website regarding game industry

Discussion in 'General' started by Hayai_JiJi, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

http://www.sirlin.net/ read the article titled Yomi layer 3 it is a great read. Although everything in it's apparent to VF'ers it's nice to have it reinforced every once in ahwhile. Thanks to Gummydrop on SRK for posting the link.

2. feixaq

feixaq Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's a nice read. =)

3. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Definitely an interesting site, and Sirlin's definitely an interesting guy (met him at B5, played some VF3 when I was hoping to meet Myke/versus/images/icons/tongue.gif).

Wonder if he's popped into SVGL lately and played VF4 at all.

-Chanchai

4. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the link. Makes me think.....if only more non-VF players would read and try to comprehend articles like this, perhaps they would realise just how involving a game VF really can be when thought is put into playing it.

5. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Good stuff there, nice well-thought out articles too. Although I don't agree with his point about Resident Evil 2 vs. Silent Hill.

Yomi article is good too, definitely encapsulates one of the parts which makes VF great. I'd send it to some of my Capcom whore friends, but they probably wouldn't get it. /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

wow, im impressed. good shit there.

7. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought SH2 did a better job of providing suspense than did Resident Evil 2. Maybe that is because I had played th first RE and new what to expect. And it was my first experience with Silent Hill.

8. Yamcha

Yamcha Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Silent Hill 1 is a lot better than 2 though...and overall Silent Hill is a lot scarier than Resident Evil is (not that I don't like the series).

9. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

This Sirlin guy is absolutely brilliant...I highly recommend everyone check the place out.

His VF examples are a little simplified though, heh heh...

10. Mr. Callahan

Mr. Callahan Member

I liked his little write-up on video game violence. It's nice to see logic and reason applied when most editorials from his point of view do more to hurt our side than defend it.

11. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Great read!

Though I missed you (Chanchai) at B5, I did meet and get to play against Sirlin, as well as a load of other guys whose names I've forgotten, on VF3ob. He played a pretty mean Jeffry too :)

12. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

It's a great place to learn about game design. Very academic, which means the average schmoe won't bother reading, but it'll be their loss.

It seems the latest update was quite a while ago, which is too bad. I'd love to read more of what Sirlin has to write about.