1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest Song Ever?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hayai_JiJi, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Hayai_JiJi

Hayai_JiJi Well-Known Member

I am board so I am posing this question? Which song in your humble opinion is the best ever?
    mine are as follows
    1&2(tie between) Punk Rock Girl by the Dead Milkmen and Gigantic by the Pixies:)

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

2. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

in no particular order, some classic songs IMO:

michael jackson - billie jean
    evelyn king - shame
    luther vandross - never too much
    earth, wind and fire - let's groove
    warren g - regulate
    diana ross - upside down
    sam cooke - stand by me
    patrice rushen - forget me nots
    chaka khan - aint nobody
    michael jackson - rock with you
    commodores - nightshift
    change - let's go together
    george benson - give me the night
    loose ends - hangin' on a string
    marvin gaye - sexual healing
    evelyn king - love come down
    michael jackson - beat it

who says i'm just a kid? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

3. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

Greatest Love of All
    Stand By Me
    The Rose

Some of my favorite classics. =)

I think it takes a lot of time before a song could be proclaimed as "one of the best"...some songs just don't stand the test of time very well.

4. Jason Cha

Jason Cha Well-Known Member

I'm guessing at least a few of you won't know this song, which makes me feel like an old man, but Guns n Roses - November Rain, strikes me as one of the greatest songs I have ever heard.

-Jason

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Ooh, love that song!!!

6. Llanfair

Llanfair Well-Known Member

All along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band (Bob Dylan)

<font color=white> Llanfair the prized <font color=green>cabbage</font color=green></font color=white>

7. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"I think it takes a lot of time before a song could be proclaimed as "one of the best"...some songs just don't stand the test of time very well."

- exactly, ice! that's why i didn't list some songs which i like from more recent years - they probably won't sound good after time has had its toll. the songs i did list still sound good (IMO /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif) and they are (on average, roughly) about 20 years old /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Hayai_JiJi

Well basically I was just listimg my all time favorites as it would be too hard to come up with an actual all time best.

Under the surface of the most jaded cynic lies a dissappointed idealist- George Carlin

9. Hayai_JiJi

Good list uk it takes a real man to admit to liking Michael Jackson. I feel compelled with all the great R&B to mention Dusty Springfield's " Son of A Preacher Man" and Otis Redding's "Sittin on The Dock of The Bay"

10. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

"...it takes a real man to admit to liking Michael Jackson"

- thanks! (providing you weren't being sarcastic). i will say, though, that i only like jacko's 'thriller' and 'off the wall' albums (i.e. his early work).

as for the songs you mentioned.....they are great too IMO /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Hayai_JiJi

Nope not being sarcastic. I prefer Michael in The Jackson Five.

12. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

i love the jackson 5 /versus/images/icons/smile.gif
    should have put a few of their songs on my list but i didn't want to bore people with some exhaustive list of disco/soul tracks /versus/images/icons/wink.gif. hmmm.....maybe i already did that.....hehehe

13. Guest

Guest Guest

You would hope ts's a real man saying he likes micheal, considering his stance on kids.

And, for me, and I know you'll think I suck for it, its Oasis - It's gettin better (man!!)

Its a great song, and don't judge Oasis on a few singles they've released. Their other tunes are sweet stuff, with a lot of variety.

14. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

A few more R&B songs. They may or may not be as well known as Michael Jackson, but here goes:

Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
    As - Stevie Wonder
    Visions - Stevie Wonder
    You're the Best Thing - Gladys Knight and the Pips
    The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack
    Inner City Blues - Marvin Gaye
    Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield
    Give Me Your Love - Curtis Mayfield
    Lady In My Life - Michael Jackson
    Harvest for the World - The Isley Brothers

There are a few others I can't think of right now.

The Rose by Bette Midler is also one of my favorites./versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

Is anyone into jazz or reggae (stuff like Bob Marley and Peter Tosh)?

-GhostDog

15. uk_kid

uk_kid Well-Known Member

gladys knight...
    roberta flack...
    michael jackson's ballad 'lady in my life'...
    you got real taste ghostdog! /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

16. Hayai_JiJi

Yeah great taste but how could you say Gladys Knight and not mention "Midnight Train to Georgia". I dig Oasis have not heard anything recent but I like Blur more as a band:)