1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Guys, get off your ass and write FAQs!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hyun, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Have you ever been to gamefaqs? The site gets thousands,perhaps tens of thousands of hits per day, and VF4 is in top ten FAQ pages. But the quantity and quality of so called "FAQs" available under PS2 VF4 is abysmal. (Except Mo's Kage FAQ.)

I assure you that a lot more people will see your writings if you put together a FAQ and post on gamefaqs.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

hrm, I have a throw faq started, and the beginnings of a jargon faq are in the works... I'm thinking that for the jargon faq, writing the most common stuff and then having others contribute via threads on VFDC might be a good way to go. I'd incorporate definitions that are sound and well-explained and paste them into the faq (with credit of course)..

3. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

let's just say, i finished my Akira FAQ yesterday; i'll be putting it up tonite; your prayers have been answered(and no, it is not some 15 KB crap FAQ, i went into detail; 299 KBs).

big thanks to all the people who i borrowed quotes/ideas from.

i think i'll start writing a Lau FAQ given the time; someone wanna start on Vanessa? there isn't a Vanessa guide yet, and given how she's new, well...

4. Robyrt

Robyrt Well-Known Member

I'm writing an "emergency" Sarah FAQ as we speak... don't expect it to have much more than the Dojo, but at least it'll be better than the current glorified movelist. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

5. ice-9

ice-9 Well-Known Member

Ho ho, it better be good now, the pressure's on!

6. ReCharredSigh

actually, just go around this site and look for tidbits to insert into the FAQ; like backstaggers and the like; would easily up the quality of the FAQ. and wall combos, stuff like that.

add initiative frame stats and the direction to dodge sarah's circular attacks, as well as character specific strategies, and you're set.

yeah; emergency; like that; i saw the actual Sarah FAQ available; the general strategies are very vague; you could be encouraging newbies to do u+K over and over!

7. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

If anyone volunteers to contribute constructive and educational Pai and anti-Pai materiel (arcade and PS2) to my Pai FAQ, e-mail me. (-_-;) I'm looking for:

- Pai strategies and combos, vs CPU and vs humans,
    from Pai players.
    - Anti-Pai strategies and combos, from Pai and
    non-Pai players.
    - Descriptions of Pai's poses, quotes, and Ring Out
    animation before, during, and after a match.
    - Descriptions of Pai's VF.NET accessories and items.
    - Jacky "Jerky" Bryant's voice actor's name.

8. MrNeoSandman

MrNeoSandman Member

Well, I was thinking of making one for Pai or Jefry or Shun or Aoi. Probleme is Im lazy and wheni write some, they almost never get finished, got to gamefaqs, mine are all there. Their for Bloody Roar 3 (most of em should be called 15K move list crap, cept the Uranus one), Dead Or Alive 2 Hardcore (Tina faq is good, I only got around to making the movelist for Leifang) and Armored Core 2 (One more up-date and I'm done with it. But it a big up-date tough)

9. Acestanley

Acestanley New Member

Just sent in a Lau FAQ. It's pretty basic right now, but provides some decent strategies.

10. ReCharredSigh

the thing right now is that all the FAQs right there(except for the Kage FAQ) is basically a movelist, and then MAYBE some very vague strategies, so i think if you had any move analysis and went more specific you already up'd the bar.
    i sent in my akira FAQ last nite; strange; usually takes about 1 day for it to show up; and yet, it's not there yet.

personally, for me, i tend to start slacking on writing fighting game faqs when i get around to the character specific strategies(i mean, i want to analyze each character in detail, but oh man, takes so much of my time!) otherwise, i enjoy pretty much the other aspects of writing the FAQ. maybe someone should do an "emergency" jacky FAQ; doesn't need to be that huge cause of the way most of us play jacky, but just enough that the newbie won't mash kick over and over. plus, you can add more stuff later.

11. ReCharredSigh

i believe there's a backstagger combo for pai right now; something posted up by nutlog before, sorta like:

d/f+K(backstaggers),D,f+P,PPPd+K

i'm not too sure, might want to search for it, but that's what i know off the top of my head.

for strategies, try ice-9's Pai dojo, and go from there.

12. Nutlog

Nutlog Well-Known Member

Submitted one...happy? /versus/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Bronze Parrot

Re: Gals, get off your ass and write FAQs!

Maybe I'll add a direct link to the Pai Dojo in the Links section of the VF4 Pai FAQ. Right now, it's mentioned only in the Acknowledgements section.

14. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    Hyun, since you're not accepting PMs, I'll ask here: If you don't mind, could you send me the latest versions of your FAQs - the Starting Guide and Rising Attacks? I'd like to have them available on VFDC. If the latest Starting Guide is on GameFAQs, I'll grab it from there.

Thanks.

15. Bronze Parrot

If you feel like it, you can borrow my VF4 Pai FAQ too. {wink}

16. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Okay Myke, give me a little time to clean things up. Actually, I was thinking of writing some emergency character FAQs, since they seem to be more urgent. (If anyone else wants to write emergency FAQs for the chars that need them, I of course have no objection.) But I will try to send you some stuff soon.

17. ReCharredSigh

some ppl need to write emergency FAQs for Jacky and Lau especially; clear up how they're not masher characters or braindead skill-less characters, what's so good about them, and how to play them properly...i don't like doing emergency FAQs, i like doing a complete FAQ, so someone else should take responsibility for it. i'm still debating whether i wanna write another complete VF FAQ, and if so, whether for Jacky or Lau.

CreeD asked me for my Akira FAQ...i'm guessing he wants to put that on his FTP server? /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

18. Hyun

Hyun Well-Known Member

Okay I am writing an emergency Lau FAQ

Hope to finish this weekend. Somebody write an Emergency Jacky FAQ. . emergency Wolf FAQ. . . emergency Aoi FAQ. . .

19. ReCharredSigh

Re: Okay I am writing an emergency Lau FAQ

anybody check gamefaqs.com lately? someone did a very nice lion FAQ.

but jacky and lau IMO are top priorities right now.

btw, gamespot.com requested that they could use my Akira FAQ; should i do it? gamespot i heard is related to egm2(which sucks, that crap mag), but on the other hand, considering how clueless mag suscribers are in general, i might be able to help them. what do you guys think?

20. Zero-chan

Zero-chan Well-Known Member

Re: Okay I am writing an emergency Lau FAQ

EGM2 is dead. Are you talking about GameNow?