1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Guys, get off your ass and write FAQs!

Discussion in 'Junky's Jungle' started by Hyun, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Bronze Parrot

Bronze Parrot Well-Known Member

Re: Okay I am writing an emergency Lau FAQ

IMO, let them use your FAQ, hope they don't FUBAR it, and help dispel the ignorance and darkness amongst the casual and clueless VF4 for PS2 players.

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

I'd let them use it, it's not like holding it back helps anyone. They just need to leave it alone.

3. akiralove

akiralove Well-Known Member

XBL:
    JTGC

just my two cents

I wouldn't let them use it. I think that the state of print game media in the US is totally fucking ridiculous; especially now that independent mags like gamefan, gamersrepublic etc have been driven out of the bussiness.

I know their request is for net content, but if this is ever going to change, the writers for those mags/sites need to learn to do the work themselves. We're not getting paid to do this, they ARE; in addition to the fact that it's their chosen profession. If someone's going to take a job, then suck at it, should you help them whenever they ask (while you do the work as they get the money/credit)?

10 years ago, you could actually find good, basic strategy in mags like EGM, at the least they had command lists. Now they can't be bothered; they have to help sell spider man 4 and army men take manhattan.

Seen a japanese mag lately? 300+ pages, cutting edge strategy and info for dozens of games, previews with REAL info, all weekly or every other week, CHEAPER than US mags. No reason it can't happen here, if people want it.

If gamers have to look to sites like VFDC or gamefaqs for real content, for FREE, maybe the mags and their sites will actually begin to feel the hit, and try to change. Or maybe someone will realize that investing time and money into making those kinds of sites better is more worthwhile than supporting those shit rags.

change has to start somewhere. Having been working on my own faq for months now, I know how much work it is. support the people who really care, even when it isn't their job. If the US game scene ever wants to see things like VF.net, or real strategy guides, we can't continue supporting the notion that the scraps of shit they give us taste good. The people on this site really give a shit about VF. If the guys at gamespot did, wouldn't they be writing their own faqs?

again, just my opinion.

Spotlite

4. SummAh

SummAh Well-Known Member

I actually quite agree with u.

Some of arcadia n mooks writers are famous gamers themselves. Not just fighting games...but shooters...driving games n stuff.

Maybe the guys at IGN or gamespot or whatever site/mag should turn to 'good gamers that can write'. Instead of depending on their normal staff writers to write a FAQ.

5. ReCharredSigh

ReCharredSigh Well-Known Member

yeah...i know egm2 is dead...but the last time i checked, they switched to the name expert gamer(i haven't done my homework; expert gamer could be dead). and i found them stating in some of their pages that gamespot.com was their homepage(or something like that, typing in egm.com does nothing).

hmm, thanks for all your input...maybe i should do more mulling over whether or not to send the FAQ. i'm more inclined to sending the FAQ right now though...it's the web, so even if gamespot.com is connected to egm2, the internet's free...they're not going to be able to make money off of the FAQ(and if they do, i'm gonna get pissed), and since i listed VF.com as a HUGE credit in the credits section, MAYBE some clueless egm suscriber will get a clue.

the following stuff below was added after i edited:

on the other hand, SummErs and spotlite have good points as well though(how japanese mag creators actually do their homework, churn out quality stuff, cost less but still sell well, etc)... and if we try to put FAQ stuff on gamespot.com in an attempt to educate the egm suscriber, they may get the wrong idea that we work for egm and that egm is a good mag since so much good info is found on their web site...

hmmm, maybe i should put this topic up as a general topic and see how other people react.

6. uk-guy

uk-guy Well-Known Member

I just finished a 4 page vf4 guide for a UK mag called Computer and Videogames (C&VG). The people there are really cool and they went out of their way to let me include stuff like dodge throws escapes, tech roll back staggers. Just goes to show that not all staff on Mags are morons. The issue should be out in a month or two, let me know your thoughts if you check it out.