1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Gyakunage "The Other Side Throw" by Homestay Akira + Yamada

Discussion in 'Dojo' started by cobratron, Apr 1, 2019.

1. cobratron

cobratron Well-Known Member Gold Supporter

VFnumbers, Kruza, oneida and 4 others like this.
  2. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

is it possible for them to allow you/us to translate their other videos? If we can merge the Japan scene into the rest of the worldwide scene, especially as it relates to the system mechanics and strategy metagame, that would level us all up exponentially.

3. cobratron

First of all HSA says he is glad that we have found use in his content. He says they plan to translate for us as much as possible going forward.

So maybe if you find some older vids of theirs you would like for them to do a translated version then post it up and ask them if they can. Or I can ask.

oneida and Stl_Tim like this.
  4. Tricky

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  5. cobratron

he said he will go over all those when he has time.

Tricky likes this.
  6. Tricky

He's the man! Thnx. I selfishly would like the Eileen one first, it's also shortest, but w/e he wants to do is great to me. Tell him 1000 thanks from Tricky

7. cobratron

[​IMG]

Mister likes this.
  8. Tricky

my man! What about Eileen's 6P+KPP string is being gone over?

Edit: Oh I think he means counter-measures.

9. Myke

Myke Administrator Staff Member Content Manager Kage

PSN:
    Myke623
    XBL:
    Myke623
    In case anyone's wondering about the Gyaku Nage (Reverse, or "other side", Throw) technique, an important detail to be observed is that, if the conditions for a Side Throw are met then you cannot do any other throw but a Side Throw.

However, there are situations that arise where you're certain the conditions for a Side Throw are met (e.g. you successfully evaded), but a frontal throw comes instead. We've all been in situations where you could've sworn a Side Throw would come but it didn't, right? For example, you're holding the correct Side Throw escape but the opponent ends up doing a regular throw.

In the video, HSA demonstrates this first with CPU Jacky doing [P] > [6][P]. Akira successfully evades the [6][P] and attempts a throw. You expect this to always be a side throw, but that's not always the case. That's largely due to the opponent's attack in how far it moves forward which determines your offset angle relative to their side. He later demonstrates CPU Jacky doing [P] > [6][6][K][+][G] and successfully evades the Step-in Middle Kick. This kick covers a lot of forward ground and always results in a side throw.

So, it is in these ambiguous situations where using the Gyaku Nage tech will be rewarding. Why? Because if you've successfully evaded your opponent's attack, they're usually going to commit to a Side Throw Escape (left or right). But by entering a throw in the reverse (gyaku) direction to their escape, your throw will succeed in these ambiguous situations. FWIW, a neutral throw will also succeed. Think of it as a kind of Option Select.

HSA is promoting the Gyaku Nage as a good habit to adopt for Side Throw situations, and suggests an easy way to determine the *reverse* side:
    • In the FOREground, use a BACK throw.
    • In BACKground, use FORWARD throw
    The throw direction is the reverse or opposite to your lateral position. Got it? Good! Gyaku Nage can be a useful technique to throw an opponent who is good at Side Throw Escapes when you think you're at their side, but it turns out you're not!

VFnumbers, Jason Elbow, G0d3L and 4 others like this.
  10. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Yeah weird Tekken-like situations happen like that to me too.