1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Halo impressions

Discussion in 'General' started by Shadowdean, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

Well, I had the chance to sit down with halo and play a little coop with a guy at software ect.
    Gameplay: YEEECH....I still feel like the guy is sorta floating or gliding right across the board. The Xbox controller is huge and I do NOT like it, that being said, it is awful for a FPS. I am a keyboard and mouse man, but I truly gave the control sceme a chance. For what it is, it is good, but I still feel it is awkward. Running, turning, and shooting at the same time requires much more dexerity than it should. I played only on a inside level (not oustside), and while it was generally pretty, it did not look leaps and bounds ahead of say, Shogo or even Doom III, or really offer anything revolutionary. This leads to to..
    Graphics: Again, this is only based on playing a inside level on coop, but this did not impress me. People can claim any crap they want about pictures, but I played the friggen game. The weapon effects were pretty lame, the friggen machine gun did not even have tracer fire effects. The plasma hand gun was about a step down from the a star trek original series in terms of "wow" effect...you hold it down, the glob of snot on the end of it gets bigger till it is lobbed at someone doing what apparently is meanial damage...blah...when you "kill" someone, the coprse just dies...no real skeletal effects...hell, even IN SOF I can shoot a guys arm or head off and watch them twitch. Some nice lighting effects, but this is NOT the revolution in FPS that it has been hyped to be.
    Gameplay: Again, again, again - this is only based on playing a inside level. There is nothing impressive here. Same run n' gun gameplay, only with a crappy controller. I would like to try some of the outside levels, but targeting was a pretty horrid affair, especially for me because I like to be able to move, turn and shoot at the same time...maybe I am just a clumsy idiot, but I HATE playing with a pad. While they did the best they could with it, I am now going to wait for the inevitable PC version. The granades were weak, and the weapons were not imprssive. I did not feel like a badass while firing off anything, nor did I feel like I was the commander of the wrath of god while dispatching enemies with any of the guns that I came across.
    Overall: If your some sort of wizz with a pad, then maybe you will enjoy this game more than I did. I would like to, as I said, give some of the outside levels a twirl, but I am not sweating bullets to play this game, nor am I even meanially excited. On a pluse note, I picked up Army of Darkness the directors cut for 12.99 at best buy :)

2. Marginal

Marginal Well-Known Member

Color me impressed Dean. The way you've been talking up the Xbox so far I expected nothing but constant shouts of "It's super dooper great!!!" Kudos. ;)

3. Sudden_Death

Sudden_Death Well-Known Member

I played this at "XBOX unleashed" in new york, and absolutely love this game. I disaggre with 80% of what shadowdean said. /versus/images/icons/smile.gif

4. Shadowdean

Shadowdean Well-Known Member

I've defended its power, but I've said nothing about its games...anybody who knows me knows I always judge a game after its played.