1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Harada's Bar Fighting Game Gathering

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Mar 26, 2022.

By akai on Mar 26, 2022 at 12:40 AM
  1. akai

akai Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    Akai_JC
    XBL:
    Akai JC
    Update April 1, 2022 - Harada's Bar invited both VF5US Chief Producer Seiji Aoki and pro player Tokido to discuss a variety of topics. The first episode was released on March 26th and the second episode on April 2nd.

Episode 1

Episode 2

Episode 3

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    Chanchai, Mackfactor, nou and 7 others like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by akai, Mar 26, 2022.

1. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      They spoke about dropping the 6 potentially, dropping a numerical value is hardly renaming. Whilst I understand what they were saying in regards to the word "Virtual" being of it's time I don't think they'll change it dramatically.
    2. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      "Virtua" is unique. :love: "Virtua" still sounds COOL!
      In my opininion
      Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    3. Myke
      Myke
      Biggest take-aways for me was the confirmation that they're thinking about new concepts and how to brand / market it. New concepts is something we would obviously expect with a major version of VF but, let's be honest, SEGA's branding and marketing has lots to catch up on especially when compared to other big FGC titles, and even more so for the global market outside of Japan.

So, it's interesting to hear that they're considering not going with the number 6, and I think that idea is already being tested when they rebranded as Virtua Fighter esports (for the Japan market only) by dropping the '5' from the current title.

VFes Season_1 is about to start in May this year with 3 Challenge Cups scheduled. The top 2 places at each cup earn a Pro License and at the end of Season_1 (March 2023) will be a grand final with the 8 Pro License holders (2 from Season_0 + 6 from Season 1). I think as Season_1 progresses we can reasonably expect to see more updates to maintain interest and engagement in VFes / VF5US.

Harada is right though, in that with the recent revival of the series and with such iconic IP in the front of many minds again, SEGA should try to capitalise on the momentum with a new title. Perhaps (and I hope!) we'll see that momentum maintained during Season_1 and, who knows, maybe we'll get teased something toward the end of the season? @akai pointed out something interesting to me in regards to the Season_1 roadmap:

VFes Season_1.jpg

There's a one month gap between Cup 1 and 2, yet there's a two month gap between Cup 2 and 3. Would that be a good time to tease something, right before Christmas holidays, and generate hype for the 8 player Pro License final? Who knows! :ninja:
      akai, SSShinji, Shinobi and 2 others like this.
    4. MadeManG74
      MadeManG74
      I'm curious as to what they mean by a potential reboot of the series.
      I'm all for it, as long as the old games are preserved in some way too. It sucks that we have to pirate the old VF games to play them at all now, or buy ancient retro hardware.
      If the old games (1,2,3) are the best selling in the franchise, hopefully they see potential to do some kind of collection.
      SSShinji likes this.
    5. Adam Gibson
      Adam Gibson
      I got the impression that it wouldn't be a reboot, but more like how it's *Marvel vs Capcom Infinite* instead of MvC4. It would still be a vf5 sequel, but maybe a title without a number tacked on would allow the dev team to be less rigid in terms of new ideas.
      MadeManG74 likes this.
    6. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      I'd love a collection with a home port of VF4FT.

It was interesting when they were talking about potentially dropping the 6 from the title. As I've said before maybe have it as a prequel similar to the SFA series with a (slightly) younger cast and new characters etc.
      SSShinji and MadeManG74 like this.
    7. JCnextinc
      JCnextinc
      Yeah the idea of idea of younger cast is interseting indeed.

But a prequel like Alpha series could have some issues. Like the complete dissapearance of characters like eileen (She's 15 in VF5 )
      Plus SEGA can't afford to have multiple fighting game licences at the moment.

It's way easier for Capcom to have spin off games than SEGA.
      The only fighting game that left is VF.

I think the best way is to do like Street Fighter V , and just move the time line cursor a little bit (whenever they want each iteration.) Complete change or reboot is not the only solution

(Or @Tricky Eileen would be mad ):LOL:
      Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
      Sonic The Fighters likes this.
    8. akai
      akai
      Episode 2 with Aoki and Tokido

Updated the first post, premieres in half a day.
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    9. Adam Gibson
      Adam Gibson
      I assume Sega would add in a different character with a similar moveset? Or even a non-canon kind of "scroll off the side of the character select screen" kind of thing
    10. akai
      akai
      My notes from episode 2 (these are really interesting videos!):

- Overseas Market (from a Japanese-centric viewpoint) - Focus on overseas is important. Harada mentions Tekken Japan domestic sales make up only 3%. According to Tokido, Street Fighter Japan domestic sales make up about 10%. Aoki mentions for Virtua Fighter, domestic Japan sales makes up only 5 to 10%. Harada joke, you are kind of slow to realize the importance of the overseas market!

- Harada use example of Morkal Kombat. Design for that fighting game for family to play against each other (Harada) and single player content (Aoki), not for competitors like Tokido. Tournament participation decrease every year for that game, but sales better than Tekken and Street Fighter. Aoki mentions how he is interested in seeing how Street Fighter 6 performs as he feel similar situation.

- Rumors many times of collaboration, but first actual collaboration seen inside the game titles.

- Release fighting games and the announcements, the companies try to make plans (read in between lines) to not overlap with each other. Aoki glad Street FIghter 6 was announced, "we won't have to overlap if we released a new title."

- Read in between lines, it sounds like Harada delaying announcements for next Tekken, in respect of Capcom/Street Fighter announcing Street Fighter 6.

- Aoki casually mentions the big gaming shows around September or so such as Tokyo Game Show / E3 (which is cancelled for this year) for announcements . Most Announcement for overseas first, the Japan gets to try it out first.

- Funny story about Harada accidentally tweet announcement for Street Fighter V before it was intended. Also miscommunication between different branches of the companies especially due to time differences.

- Aoki mentioned wanting to "make one big project with everyone" something Harada express interest also. Note that in the Roundtable, Aoki mentioned something similar. Seems a major hurdle for this, is which company gets to do it.

Looks like one more episode with Aoki and Tokido.

Edited: To correct some grammar and revised some notes that could be misinterpreted.
      Last edited: Apr 7, 2022
      Virtua Kazama, shad, masterpo and 2 others like this.
    11. akai
      akai
      With the latest episode, I think it reinforces some teaser of some sort around that time. Or maybe planning the Challenge Cups around the next Beat Tribe (not sure when that will happen)!?

Or If RGG is really going to troll....announce "Project Judgement" making fans not knowing if its related to Lost Judgement (spinoff of the Yakuza series) or Judgement 6 (evil organization in VF series). :D
    12. ICHIBANin10000
      ICHIBANin10000
      Oh my God. Look who's talking. When was the last time Zero-chan was in a Vf tournament? 2013 NorCal regionals where she got stomped by sorry Sebo? When was the last time Zero-chan beat any VF player of note? Never? I remember when she screamed out loud at Evo 2012 when she got owned by some n00b. I went deaf in one ear.
      Hey Zero-chan, you can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? I challenge you to a First To 10 $50 money match. I will Krush Groove you into the next dimension. I'm top dog Vanessa player on PSN, sweetheart. Now are you going to dodge like that coward Hayato or step up?

As for VF5US and the future of VF6. Be grateful you get anything. If you don't have fightcade, there's nothing stopping you from playing VF4 FT or VF5:R on a Naomi 2 or a Lindbergh Yellow. Each of those setups would cost you about $600 each. I would know, I own both. If you really love VF, put your money where your mouth is.
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    13. SSfox
      SSfox
      Harada avoiding next Tekken game questions be like: [​IMG]
    14. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      Some interesting takes from the latest EP.

Harada talking about MK and how it sells because the whole family can play because there's characters older gamers remember from their childhood etc. Mentioning the amount of single player content too, they can see it's important. I wouldn't be surprised to see more guest characters in Tekken from popular movies or TV shows. (Kaman Rider anyone?)

In fact I think guest characters are going to be a thing moving forward, regardless of the title and NOT necessarily from other fighting games.

Aoki talking about a project together, I wonder if he's referring to just Tekken or SF too? A crossover between all three titles could be pretty cool if it's done in the correct style.
    15. masterpo
      masterpo
      It has been my experience, fighting games with significant single player content, provide a gateway for noobs, and casuals to eventually want to play competitively or online against strangers. The initial experience as Harada says is to first playing the game with family, brothers, sisters cousins, etc, and in some cases close friends. Only after a certain amount of experience and confidence do players eventually venture out to play online or in tournaments.

I hope Seiji Aoki was taking notes when Harada made that statement:unsure: The next Virtua Fighter needs serious and significant single player content for it to even have a chance:whistle:
      VanguardBronze likes this.
    16. Dragonps
      Dragonps
      Slightly off topic but bloody hell Tokido is 2 years younger than me but looks like he's 18! What the hell is in the water over there!
    17. akai
      akai
      Link to Episode 3 premiering this weekend.
    18. akai
      akai
      My Notes on Episode 3 (This time not much pertaining to VF):
      - The topic of this session "Blow Up" - I assume another term would be controversy over something that grew large through social media.

- Tokido in an online tournament used a controller config that had combined two inputs into one button input (not allowed). Publicly apologizes. Negative, frustrated feelings how do they deal with it . Tokido, hate the person inside the game, to focus on winning the game. But always kept it within the game only.

- Harada sometimes want to tell someone to "STFU" as he feels they attacked for completely mistaken reasons. A good % is based on misunderstanding. He gets some crazy replies from some tweets that for the most part are positive.

- Aoki, not recently had a blow up, but 10-12 years ago (before Sega had official twitter accounts) had some controversy when he personally tweets about the game Border Break.

- Outrage at article totally different from the interview topic. According to Harada an article about Tekken on Wii U. It was not a misinterpretation, but a deliberate misleading article.
      Shinobi likes this.
    19. Adam Gibson
      Adam Gibson
      I had been feeling a bit iffy about the upcoming Tekken collaboration but after watching these videos it really seems like everybody is pulling together for VF's success. I think I'll buy the DLC even if somehow costume E isn't included(although I hope it is!).
      Shinobi likes this.
    20. akai
      akai
      42b9fe1e-ff65-4d3b-a003-23c8985f23d9.jpg

Season 1's schedule/roadmap has been adjusted. The 2nd challenge cup will be starting 2 months later than the previous schedule advertised at the end of Season 0.

So there is now a 3 month empty block from July to September....:ninja:
      Myke likes this.