1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hard Boiled: The Greatest Action Movie Ever?

Discussion in 'General' started by imf, Mar 13, 2002.

1. imf

imf Well-Known Member

Oh, I think so.... /versus/images/icons/laugh.gif

What are your favorites?

2. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

Hard Boiled is propably one of the best ever. That movie is pimp liek whut!

3. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's up there as action, but I like most John Woo directed movies. Did you guys see the one where Chow Yun Fat was a cowboy and they all used double guns also? I don't know the american name of it.

4. akira2001

akira2001 Well-Known Member

Never seen "Hard Boiled".

Have you seen Fist of Legend with Jet Li. Some damn good fights in that one. I also enjoyed "Who am I" with Jackie Chan. The ending fight in that was pretty cool. And there are a couple cool scenes in "SuperCop".

5. BakuBaku

BakuBaku Well-Known Member

"Half A loaf of Kung fu"-Jackie Chan was sweet. There was another one with chow too. It was with some lady that he accidently blinded in a gun fight. She eventually ended up loving him though at first she was kinda mad that she was blindedid. I forget the name of that movie but he must have killed a good 500 people in that movie. It was Hillarious! If anyone could tell me the name of it thad be cool, Id like to see it again.

6. imf

imf Well-Known Member

You have to be talking about "The Killer". That movie owns too.

I don't consider Jackie Chan movies to be "Action Movies" so much as "Jackie Movies". They deserve a genre of their own. In which there is no competition. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone...I think I understand it...

While were on the subject of other movie genres that rock. Anybody seen "Duel to the Death"?

7. Blondie

Blondie Well-Known Member

I've seen Hardboiled once, want to see it again soon. My favorite movies change from time to time but yes Jacky needs a genre all his own.

Sweet Action:
    Hardboiled
    MI2
    Boone Dock Saints "one scene makes it all too sweet"
    Replacement Killers

Duff Action:
    Rambo III
    Rocky
    RAW DEAL
    Missing In Action

Fav Jacky Movies:
    ALL =)
    lol, City Hunter
    Supercop
    Who am I

8. gaishou

gaishou Well-Known Member

i's gonna hafta chek out who am i and da killer yo...../versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

9. stompoutloud

stompoutloud Well-Known Member

Who am I has some great fighting and driving scenes. You will laugh really hard. Jackie's got a new movie coming out in April.

10. MrWhite

MrWhite Well-Known Member

Fist of Legend. Best action movie ever. And I've seen shitloads...And even if I dont like to admit, I'm rather sure the Matrix is high on the "all-time record" list for most people. Gonna check out Blade II tomorrow, see how that rates.

11. Goom

Goom Active Member

Who Am I is really cool. The last fight scenes are great, and I love that Mitsu Lancer.

12. Ellinas

Ellinas Well-Known Member

With all this talk of Jackie Chan and who am i going around, I can't believe nobody mentioned the legend of drunken master. Wow. The fight scene at the end with the kicking guy... fantastic. The one with the bamboo stick, the first fight where he drinks, awesome. I was laughing so hard it hurt

13. gaishou

i have to admit i liked iron monkey........legend of drunken master has to be the best jackie movie i have seen yet so far.

14. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Well-Known Member

If I had to pick a favorite action movie, I'd have to go with "Seven Samurai." Absolutely magnificent piece of work in every way and endlessly entertaining. After that, I'd go with "Aliens," "Raiders of the Lost Ark," "Star Wars," and anything by Kurosawa or Kubrick.

15. gaishou

i have seen seven samurai once and loved it. damn good movie for being made in the 50's.....thanks for jogging my ever clogged memory.

16. ghostdog

ghostdog Well-Known Member

Yah, Kurosawa's movies are awesome. My favorite is "Ran". But I don't see it as much of an action movie as the other ones mentioned, like "Who Am I" or "Raiders of the Lot Ark".

Kubrick ain't so bad either. I love "2001", but my fave is "A Clockwork Orange".

17. gaishou

now if you wanna get out of the 'action' genre, check out Jan Svankmajer. he does stop motion movies. very macabre, weird, twisted stuff. check him out if you can.

18. Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle Well-Known Member

> damn good movie for being made in the 50's

what is this supposed to mean? that older movies generally don't meet your criteria for being a good movie - simply because they're old? if that's so (and i hope it's not), then that's basic ignorance and stupidity in its purest form.

19. gaishou

doesn't mean that. just out of my experiences, i've found that movie to be better than most, of what i've seen. i haven't seen many older movies is all. /versus/images/icons/crazy.gif

20. Chanchai

Chanchai Well-Known Member

Can't say I have a favorite action movie... The last few years I've been sort of out of my "action movie" phase, but still enjoy some good action.

Seven Samurai would definitely be on a list of favorites for an action film however (actually, it would be on a list of favorites, period.). Don't know how many times I've watched that movie over and over again.

I prefer The Killer over Hard Boiled if we're to talk about the John Woo/Chow Yun Fat films.

Another action movie that I really loved out of the 90's was Ronin.

I haven't seen the whole Lone Wolf and Cub series, but I really did enjoy those movies. I would personally recommend them if you don't mind seeing lots of blood sprayed everywhere. (Animeigo released the series on video in the US and are supposedly working on DVDs--it is a live action film series based on a manga series).

I still love the old Bruce Lee films, can't even say which one I love best. I really love the Bruce Lee fight scenes in Game of Death (counting only the fight scenes with Bruce against Dan Inosanto, some Hapkido practitioner, and Kareem Abdul Jabar).

Many critics would say Drunken Master 2 is undoubtedly Jacky Chan's best film in terms of the action, and I would personally agree. I like Chan's older films from the 1970's, but they sort of run dry, so I'm usually just fast fowarding to the fight scenes (which are great, but also run dry after awhile).

So far, out of Jet Li's films, I would go with Fist of Legend (don't know if this is the original name of the film--it's a remake/reinterpretation of Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury aka Chinese Connection). Though I was introduced to Jet Li's films through Once Upon a Time in China and do enjoy those quite a bit.

Sniper is another film I've enjoyed quite a bit, but there really isn't much out there to compare it to--but I do have an interest for "sniper" films. Enemy at the Gates didn't do it at all for me when it came to certain events like shooting a string from who knows how far or the completely pointless romancing they stuck in the film without trying to make it look like it fit.

Going towards a more dramatic side of action, I am having a growing interest in French Foreign Legionne films. If anyone could recommend one to me, that would be great. I was surprisingly entertained by Legionnaire (starring Jean Claude Van Damme), though I understand it's far from competing with the best in the genre (it certainly wasn't one of the best films I've seen, but it was far better than I expected).

-Chanchai