1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Health Tier List

Discussion in 'General' started by Dark Nova Void, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Dark Nova Void

Dark Nova Void Well-Known Member

Hello VF players! I was pondering on the theory of weight classes and health differences in fighting games and I wanted to start a discussion. With all the different weight classes in VF and all the characters I made a tier list reflecting my opinion on who has the most health and lowest health. Now I am mainly a Sarah player, (I also play Vanessa and Brad) so my thoughts are mainly coming from those experiences. Now I know every character has the same health but not every characters take the same damage and this just a discussion to see VF rom a different angle. Please give you opinion, disagreements, agreements, and etc. Thank You!

SS: Wolf and Jeffery- These two being in heavy weight are hard to get juggles on and unlike there's not many combo or punishes that are specific to them to squeeze out extra damage to close gap.

S-:Akira: To me Akira very weird with his hit box he too heavy to bound with at time but he is light enough to get solid juggles. Off of (Sarah) [1][K] I usually only get 73 points of damage and I can't bound him off of FL[3][K] like the majority of the class. This is only on normal hit though. Plus Akira hurts so with his guard breaks, punishment, throws, and combos so doing the equal to him isn't universal depending on you character.

S-: Taka
    The reason Taka is not at the top is because he is a character that has specific combos and punishes for him and him only. Many characters get extra damage off of him where in normal situations they wouldn't. For example Vanessa OS [K][P][P] gives you a [6][6][P] or [6][6][K][+][G]. Making the damage go from 55 points to 71-72. Sarah [1][K] combo on Taka is great as it does 85 points compared to Jeffery and Wolf who only take 73 points of damage. There are obviously way more than this but you get the point.
    Combo
    Sarah- [1][K] [4][K][+][G] [6][P][4][K] Fl[6][K][K]=85 (Taka)
    Sarah- [1][K],
    [K]
    [3][P][K] FL[K] FL[7]= 73 (Wolf and Jeffery)

A+: Jacky(!) Kage No much of difference from the normal A's but they don't seem to get combo'd as hard depending on the match up.
    A: Lau, Brad, Lei Fei, Goh, Jean(!)
    These characters take solid damage but they're not at risk of getting hit by crazy damage like light weights overall I would just considered them to be the average health. I put "!" on Jacky and Jean because with them being tall there's a few special combo you can do and deal extra damage to them.

B: Shun, Sarah, Vanessa, Lion, Pai
    This group is placed here because they take damage from all characters really badly and in danger to light specific combos. They're also get carried well which means they are more danger of getting rung out.

B-: Aoi
    Same as the other B tiers but she is a lil more extreme.

C: Eileen, El Blaze
    These character take the most from anyone in the cast and any where of the screen. Simple 15 frame launcher can easy take 80+ of these two and because them being light they can be rung out with greatest of ease.

D: Dural Have a field day.

2. daRockReaper

daRockReaper Shadow Hammer MADNESS Bronze Supporter

PSN:
    daRockReaper
    XBL:
    daRockReaper612
    I almost want to elaborate on this with a touches to kill/touches till dead matchup list.

Taka can take chunks of damage but taka specific combos definitely bring him back down.

Akira hits like a truck and is still hard enough to carry for Max damage I would almost put him above Jeff and beside Wolf in that aspect.

erdraug and Dark Nova Void like this.
  3. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    S
    Wolf
    Pretty obvious to anyone who has played a lot, so much just doesn't work...

S-
    Jeff
    ...but sometimes it can work on Jeff. Also due to hitbox stuff you can do a lot more versus Jeff. But in all he's got something going for him.

A+
    Akira
    In addition to having the best attacks in the game he's got a shitty hitbox and I have no idea how he comea before Jacky or Jean in combo lists.

A
    Jacky, Taka
    Controversial place for Taka but considering all the special combos on him, several characters get a massive boost to their poking game and punishment game against him.

A-
    Jean, Kage, Lei Fei
    Jean is the odd one here but due to his long legs, you can get more bounds on him than Jacky and Akira.

B
    Goh, Brad, Lau
    No idea how Goh and Brad are rated above Kage and Lei Fri.

C
    Shun, Pai
    They might be rated as light weight but hitbox fuckery sometimes comes in on their side.

D
    Sarah, Vanessa, Lion
    Sometimes I feel Lion and Vanessa are related to Eileen.

D-
    Aoi

F
    Eileen, El Blaze
    Eileen is objectively the lightest in the game, Blaze has a shitty hitbox but there are a lot of unique combos that only work on Blaze (though a bit situational)

??
    Dural (no experience but the combos change based on her stance, or am I remembering wrong?)

Dark Nova Void likes this.
  4. Mister

Mister Well-Known Member Content Manager Wolf Content Manager Sarah Content Manager Aoi

This is an interesting point of view. However here are my 2 cents and how should the tier list be from a wolf player prospective:

SSS: Taka - it's true da some combos with other characters are way better than heavy weights, but this is simply not true for the MU Wolf-Taka.

SS: Wolf and Jeffry - Some combos work with both of them and some others work differently, but basically we get almost the same damage in both MU.

S: Akira - this dude is weird, seems like not only he's heavier than the average fighter, but he also has a smaller hurt box so it's trickier to get some damage.

A: Jean and Jacky - heavier than average but also taller than average; with this combination some combos are weird to connect but the damage we get is still good

D: Pai and Shun - these guys... They have the weirdest hurt box I'v seen so far in this game, however they still get a big chunk of like sucked off from the common combo starter (short shoulder, heavy middle kick, etc)

B: Sarah, Vanessa, Lion - This is where it gets weird with Wolf. In my game plan i don't only like to get a nice combo with good damage, I also like to have a good oki with good meaties and guaranteed options. It's true that this class gets a huge chunk of life once Wolf gets in, but they don't have easy mix ups or meaties like the middle weight class.

C: Kage, Lau, Lei, Brad, Goh - this specific weight class gets a combo from Wolf's [4][P] that's usually not easy to connect, but with this bunch of guys ez pz. Also there's a wonderful combo from [6][P][+][K] that gives a wonderful oki.

D: Aoi, El Blaze, Eileen - These people are in order. Eileen is the most damaged girl in this game, no question asked; while Aoi has some weird scenarios in which she can touch the ground faster and other in which the same ultra damaging combo goes in... El Blaze is also the only character in the game to hit the wall if Wolf uses a quick shoulder after the low bound [1][P][+][K] in a combo.

???: Dural - This metal girl deserve to be in 2 different categories: E when she's in light mode and SS while in heavy mode. But it's hard to quantify how much and honestly I don't care so much since it's not playable in tournaments.

5. Dark Nova Void

6. Dark Nova Void

Interesting I would like to see this list and I see your point but I made my decision mainly based on how much he can take. Yes he hits like a truck but he doesn't always get hit like a truck. I respect this.

7. Dark Nova Void

Interesting list. I didn't know that about Jeff. Yes Jean and Jacky are special because of their long legs. Same goes for Blaze some BNB's don't work on this character but still with his weight class he will get hurt by they right player who launches him.

8. Dark Nova Void

WOW! I really am intrigued by your perspective because I am shocked Sarah, Vanessa, and Lion are B and Kage, Lei, Lau, Brad, and Goh are C. I understand your point though. Again this was very enjoyable to read and glad you think this is interesting.

9. erdraug

erdraug Well-Known Member Content Mgr Vanessa

XBL:
    erdraug
    As far as Vanessa is concerned, I would have to agree with @Dark Nova Void, Wolf/Jeffry are harder to combo than Taka. And, given combos discovered by dedicated Vanessa players better than me, I would be so bold as to group Jean with the girls. In fact, Shun is more problematic for Vane to combo than Jean.

Anyway, very interesting post, and @daRockReaper's first comment mirrors how I tend to consider matchups for Vanessa: "Jacky needs 2 combos and a low kick to win a round, I need 3, this is going to be tough" vs "OK, Aoi needs 3 combos to win, I just need to somehow land two CH knees, let's go".

10. Dark Nova Void

Didn't know about the Jean combo potential. @daRockReaper I am very interested in seeing you make a list now bro and same with you @erdraug. Whether its Heath or how many time you got to combo a character to the match.

11. Cmoney

Cmoney Well-Known Member

This is probably the most accurate discussion when it comes to tier lists. Many tend to forget it's not about what some characters can do, it's also about what they can take or not take as far as damage, combos and specific matchups. Although I feel Brad should be down to where Aoi is, because both characters are risk taking characters offensively, the only difference is that Aoi has her own defensive schemes.

12. Dark Nova Void

Thanks for feed back and please remember the list are being made by people who play other characters so placement may not always be the same. Since you are a Lau player I would like to see your own list, if you have time.

Cmoney likes this.
  13. Tricky

Tricky "9000; Eileen Flow Dojoer" Content Manager Eileen

I can't argue against Eileen's placement on this list. fyi, my approach to her has been from day 1, don't get launched.

Dark Nova Void, beanboy and Cmoney like this.
  14. Jason Elbow

Jason Elbow Well-Known Member

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Ok lets get one thing straight. Everyone has the same amount of health (220 pts.) and what mainly dictates a said "Health Tier List" is weight.

beanboy and Sebo like this.
  15. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    I mean you pretty much cant afford to.

Tricky and beanboy like this.
  16. Jason Elbow

PSN:
    Its ok now...
    XBL:
    Jason ELBOW AKT
    Schemes? Lol. No its a defensive technique. Just because because she sodomizes you because of it doesnt make it a "scheme". So what are CHs schemes? Because these all were put in the game! Miss me with that bullshit.

17. BLACKSTAR

BLACKSTAR You'll find him on the grind Staff Member Media Manager

PSN:
    oBLACKSTARo
    XBL:
    BLACKSTAR84i
    Man this is an amazing list, and an even more amazing idea!

I feel I pretty much agree with this list, though I don't have much to add, since I never really studied this part of the game espescially hard. The only thing I'd might do from my perspective is shift all the ranks down 1 (like SS to be S, S- to A-, etc), but that's just imo

Dark Nova Void and Cmoney like this.
  18. Sebo

Sebo Well-Known Member Content Manager Taka Content Manager Jeffry

PSN:
    Sebopants
    Well, it is also takes into consideration hitboxes and special instances. But even with those in consideration Aoi and Brad are still miles apart, regardless of "defensive schemes" because you can't reverse that [6][P][+][K] at -15 or after a whiff.

Tricky likes this.
  19. Dark Nova Void

Thanks for feedback I want another solid Sarah to drops some 2 cents. Yea I mean I could shift the ranks down SS is a lil too extreme but I should've thought about. Haha

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  20. Dark Nova Void

Yes but like Sebo said instances and hitboxes are taking into consideration. Also when I was making this I was comparing to a lot of 2d fighting games and o rate characters off something else.

Jason Elbow likes this.