1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help getting used to the joystick.

Discussion in 'Console' started by Calvin, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I just got a Hori T4 stick and I found it hard to do some of the moves. I can't ever get the [1] or [3] in right. Pressing the buttons together is also kind of hard. Can someone give me some kind of way to hold the stick or layout for the buttons so that I can get better? thx /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

2. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

Can't help you with stick diagonals, but as for the buttons... are you using your thumb when you play?
    The japanese standard/official way of playing is to use thumb-first finger-middle finger. Since the thumb is naturally lower than the rest, the guard button is an inch lower than the punch and kick buttons.

If you don't use the thumb (that's how I play) this will feel a little weird, your first finger will be on guard, middle on punch, and ring on kick. You'll have to cock your whole right hand sideways a little to accomodate the lower guard button. To fix this I prefer a button layout where guard, punch, and kick are aligned straight across. Give both a try and see which is more comfortable. If you're used to holding your controller like a flat camera and using three fingers on the buttons, the second layout can work for you. If you aren't used to using anything but your thumb for buttons, I recommend learning the 'correct' way, thumb-index-middle.

PS: I just remembered a trick for holding the stick that might make it easier for finding diagonals - assuming you have a ball-style stick rather than a bat-style one. Turn your left hand so that the palm is up and grip the stick between the middle and the ring finger. It might feel weird at first, but a lot of excellent players use this (chibita for one).
    I sort of hold it that way but with my palm downward. I think holding the palm upwards matters though.

3. Jerky

Jerky Well-Known Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    The japanese standard/official way of playing is to use thumb-first finger-middle finger. Since the thumb is naturally lower than the rest, the guard button is an inch lower than the punch and kick buttons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This does not apply to the NYC freaks... /versus/images/icons/tongue.gif

Seriously though, it amazes me how the NYC crew seems to find first, middle, ring comfortable. Very weird to look at IMO.

4. Akira_Zero

Akira_Zero Well-Known Member

Heh...I actually thought most people played first, middle, and ring fingers. That's how I play with my supposedly crappy Pelican stick ( I do just fine with it).

5. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

Another Pelican player!!!

Those sticks were pretty good to start my VF4 career, but I'm having trouble. The buttons don't spring back very quickly, and the whole thing has response troubles. I hate it when I go to do Tenchi In'You with Aoi ([4]+[P]+[K]+[G]) and I get a punch.

I'm upgrading to a home-built stick with Sanwa sticks and buttons, BTW.

6. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I now use first - middle - ring, because I have to tilt my entire hand and stick the other way, the other way. I bought a pelican too. it's crappy sensitivity made me send it back. thx. /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

7. Akira_Zero

Wow, you're only like 2nd person who plays with a Pelican other than me (that I know of). I'm getting a Hori VF4 stick sent to me from Zero-Chan.
    How long have you been playing with the Pelican stick.
    I've had it for a few months now with no response issues.

8. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

NO RESPONSE ISSUES?!! How do you play? The damn thing's pressure sensitive! You have to jam the buttons down!

9. Akira_Zero

Nope. No issues at all. I guess I'm just used to it.
    Akira's my main fighter and the only problems I've experience are just the accuracy of my direction input, where the problem is with me not the joystick itself. The buttons are fine. I can do double palm combos
    95% of the time. I'm learning how to do the knee with consistency now.

10. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

well, i couldn't do shit with that joystick. i couldn't get the buttons down unless i pressed a little harder and it really made me a lot worse at the game. (especially w/ akira)

I don't have a problem with direction anymore.( not w/ akira using hori anyway) although i do at the arcade.

11. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

I can now do the DLC, SPoD, and AS3 easily! thx Creed! /versus/images/icons/grin.gif

12. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

Now I'm having problems with the m-dblpm. I can get it right normally, but when I try to use it in a combo it usually turns into either an elbow or a punch. Of course there are the times I will get it perfect but I can't do it consistantly yet. Do I just need practice or can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Example is the [4][6][P], [P], [2_][4][6][P] combo.

13. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

if you get an elbow you either didn't hit back before f+P or.. .what's more common, you didn't go to neutral between df,df and b. You have to do df, df, neutral, back, forward+P. If you roll from df to b it tends to fuck up.

14. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

What's strange is that I can get the combos in vs. or kumite, but I can't in free training.

15. CreeD

CreeD Well-Known Member

The combos in kumite and vs. might be working because the computer is getting interrupted by the first attack while the CPU in free training is just sitting there. Did you set the CPU to counter hits in free training?

That actually might not be it.. that combo (b,f+P -> P -> double palm) doesn't need a counter. Not sure what's up if it's not the lack of a counterhit.

16. Gndalf007

Gndalf007 Well-Known Member

My brother and I bought our first (of four) Pelicans back in February, when we first started really playing fighting games. They worked quite well for the first few months of our career, but they started breaking after awhile. Now, we have one functioning stick left, which was officially retired last Saturday, and it's terrible. There's the failed Tenchi In'You example, I CANNOT crouch-dash effectively, and it'll even screw up my reversal directions. You can probably see that there's no way it'll handle Shoryukens ([6][2][3]) and double half-circles. The Triangle button is gone, so six-button Street Fighter is next to impossible.

Pelicans are good for beginners because of their price, but not beyond that.

17. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

It's not a problem getting the attacks to hit, it's a problem getting the m-dblpm to come out instead of that lunge-like palm.(sglpm?) I thought maybe it was because I wasn't pressing [4] before [6]. but it seems it's no different feel when I do get it out, which I do most of the time. I get it almost every time in vs. and kumite, but I can't get it out in free training. Maybe it's because I'm trying too hard?

18. ButtonMasher

ButtonMasher Active Member

can't do kage's dragon punch and knee with a joystick, any help, please?

19. Calvin

Calvin Well-Known Member

dragon punch is no problem. just try to keep the stick as close to the front as possible with still pulling back a little bit. I had that problem until I did this.

20. ButtonMasher

ButtonMasher Active Member

how about the knee, the way that i always done the knee on the pad is: i pressed d/f,d/f,f+k but on the joystick he won't crouch dash