1. Hey Guest, looking for Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown content? Rest assured that the game is identical to Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown so all current resources on here such as Command Lists with frame data, Combo Lists and the Wiki still apply. However, you can expect some VF5US specific changes to come soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Help: Hyper Street Fighter 2 on ps2, new guile bug...

Discussion in 'General' started by RandomHajile, Mar 10, 2004.

1. RandomHajile

RandomHajile Well-Known Member

help, im running this game on a chipped (dms?) uk ps2 (3003)...
    but i need confermation about world worrior guile,
    pick him an see how inconsistant his sonic booms an flash kicks are!!!!
    do a slow sonic boom an half the time its a fast one that comes out!!!
    the other half it comes out medium!!!
    an with flash kicks no matter what, its always a ligh or mid flash that comes out!!!
    anyways ive looked on line an peeps just big this game up (prob dont know shit bout sf2)
    anyways please help with conferming this!
    also is it me or is the back ground gfx higher res???
    check out zangifes stage, may explain the slight slow down then speed up rubbish this game has!

2. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

You have to hold start (when you choose the GAME VERSION, not the character) to choose the "real" WW character versions that everyone is familiar with.

This is because the non-start versions are based on a later arcade revision of WW, where they changed a lot of stuff (like make Guile's booms random speeds).

The same goes for the ST characters - if you pick them normally you can't do some things, like do charge supers and keep holding forward until you release them. Capcom took out holding charge supers in a later revision of ST. You have to select Super X mode holding start to select the versions everyone is familiar with.

I THINK it goes like this:

Normal: World Warrior version characters from the newest arcade revision (random sonic boom speeds).

Normal+Start: World Warrior version everyone is familiar with.

Dash: Champion Edition version characters.

Turbo: Hyper Fighting version characters.

Super: New Challengers version characters.

Super+Start: OG version characters from Super Turbo.

Super X: Super Turbo version characters from newest arcade revision (no holding charge supers).

Super X+Start: Super Turbo version characters everyone is familiar with (holding charge supers allowed).

3. stalwartsamurai

stalwartsamurai Well-Known Member

Tactics /versus/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. agios_katastrof

agios_katastrof Well-Known Member

why on earth would they randomize guile's sonic booms and flash kicks? i don't think i can ever play a guile like that.

5. RandomHajile

thx i'll try it, but i have all the world warrior roms up till a dec 91 version and there is no random sonick booms!!!
    also the super famicom version is based on on of the later ww arcades, an guile was fine:(

also, yea i noticed the non holding super x, shame they didnt put a dip switch mode like the DC version

whats with the non save file as wel???

6. Dandy_J

Dandy_J Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    agios_katastrof said:

why on earth would they randomize guile's sonic booms and flash kicks? i don't think i can ever play a guile like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh I think it's because Capcom doesn't actually know anything about fighting games...at least back then...well they still don't!

The random sonic booms are probably from a very under-distributed version.

7. vf4akira

vf4akira Well-Known Member

Screw the random sonic booms or somersault kicks. Where the hell is guile's magic throw and handcuffs!?

I can understand updating the arcade version, but hell, put it in the home version for once!!!

8. Saurian

Saurian Well-Known Member

The Sonic Booms are not random, it all depends on the range. Towards the edge of the screen weak Sonic Booms will always execute as strong so you cant follow them in as well as the original Guile and his strong Flash kick comes out as medium. The weak Sonic Boom from a distance is still in but needs to be executed closer than you'd normally throw it.

Forget all that tho - hold start as was said before and show the real meaning of Guile (PPhhFEAR!)

9. Crazy_Galaxy

Crazy_Galaxy Well-Known Member

Hold start you say! Oh People are gonna get hurt NOW!! /versus/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

10. agios_katastrof

Just wanted to say, that imho, Guile is just about the best designed character ever in a fighting game. Two simple special moves, interesting assortment of normals - and a world of mind games. He went through the least number of changes throughout the SF iterations, and generally remained top tier, or at least competitive. Imho, Guile is a better design than the ubiquitous shoto.

11. RandomHajile

[ QUOTE ]
    Dandy_J said:

You have to hold start (when you choose the GAME VERSION, not the character) to choose the "real" WW character versions that everyone is familiar with.

This is because the non-start versions are based on a later arcade revision of WW, where they changed a lot of stuff (like make Guile's booms random speeds).

The same goes for the ST characters - if you pick them normally you can't do some things, like do charge supers and keep holding forward until you release them. Capcom took out holding charge supers in a later revision of ST. You have to select Super X mode holding start to select the versions everyone is familiar with.

I THINK it goes like this:

Normal: World Warrior version characters from the newest arcade revision (random sonic boom speeds).

Normal+Start: World Warrior version everyone is familiar with.

Dash: Champion Edition version characters.

Turbo: Hyper Fighting version characters.

Super: New Challengers version characters.

Super+Start: OG version characters from Super Turbo.

Super X: Super Turbo version characters from newest arcade revision (no holding charge supers).

Super X+Start: Super Turbo version characters everyone is familiar with (holding charge supers allowed).

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing is, it dont work!!!
    the sonic booms are still random!!!
    the flash kicks are still not strong!!
    AND when u hold START, it dosent hav the confermation sound that you get if you hold start on SUPER or SUPER X versons!!!

ohh and i doubt capcom had a limited release of world warrior with a f'ed up guile, ive been told i hav all the roms, also guiles "handcuff", "statue" and "invisable throw" was in the PSOne version (capcom5/street fighter colection) but the timing wasnt the same as the arcade, (it was easyer in fact)
    anyways hyper street fighter on ps2 is still ultimatly flawed, i think the reason is speeds up an slows down in consistantly is that its running in emulation (with a bit of anti alising) or it could be the fact that im not running it on a jap machean!! (pre 3000)
    anyways the game is still better then the crap saturn version thou:) (arguably the worse sf2 conversion)

12. RandomHajile

yea, guile really is "guile"
    shame they took away his standing jab after WW
    an what was with the big lag after sonic boom in SUPER???

13. RandomHajile

played the arcade version, and WW guile is fine apart from the flash kicks
    but the sonic booms do what u press:)

14. StoneColdSerb

StoneColdSerb Well-Known Member

I am so pissed at Capcom (yet again *sigh*)
    I was so looking forward to HSF:ae, but everybody I know seems to be dissappointed with the game. Too many flaws and basically a lot of unfinished business.

Oh well, back to CvS2, I guess.

15. RandomHajile

World Warrior charicters run things in hyper sf2
    but its really all about sonic boom with hard kick an punch in WW (magic throw anyone?)

f'ed up champion is cool, with its yoga flames with a tiger upper:)
    and changing with the start button:)

16. agios_katastrof

i always played old guile in super.

and yeah, the WW jab, and that backfist rocked. making the backfist a command move weakened guile a lot... but he needed it. a lot of his good moves got lost.. the std short, the mid range stding rh (the backick).. at least the sobat kick remained, and got actually better. and he still always had the 4 fierce hit sonic boom combo..

damn guile was fun...